Which repositories to select ..

Is there a thread or guide that suggests which repositories to select? I am a bit confused on what BuildService repositories are and which ones to use. I have a LAMP so do I need the php and database ones?

I also see that I have added specific repositories like:
Index of /virtualbox/rpm/opensuse/11.3/
for specific programs. However the BuildService has a repository for VirtualBox also.

Sometimes google chrome http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64 works and sometimes it does not. Should I just remove it?

I also notice that the software update does not up date some of the applications. I have to go into install/remove and look at the status box to see what is upgradeable. Is this the correct process for this?

I suppose if I was going to request any change at all for openSuse it would be to combine the repositories to a smaller more concise grouping.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

You should pretty much be able to do all you need with the default repos + Packman

Though there will always be exceptions. The closer you keep to that the better.

I manage all my software with Yast > Software Management
Install all my software and finally do this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Switcher%20Pics/11.3-packman-switch.png
As recommended in the Multi-media Guide
Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide

Then Once a week I do this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Switcher%20Pics/update-system.png

This one is not working from the recommended Multi-media Guide. Am I missing something here? I do notice I have libdvdcss 1.2.10-7.10 installed.
http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/11.3/

Thanks!

Also this thread was very helpful. Check your multimedia problem in ten steps - openSUSE Forums

Other then the above question all seems to be fine now.
Thank you for those links caf4926

To get libdvdcss, add the following repository, search for and download ONLY that file and then disable the repository.

http://download.videolan.org/pub/vlc/SuSE/11.3/

In addition, you may find using my mmcheck script useful to determine if your multimedia is setup properly, message #40 have the most recent script:

MMCHECK - Check Your Multimedia in 10 Steps - Script File, as proposed by RedDwarf

Thank You,

What do you mean it’s not working?
It’s not possible to browse it, I know. But it should work in Software Management.

I’d rather not encourage use of the VideoLan repo though

One should not choose repositories in advance, meaning: unless you don’t miss them, you won’t need them. Beside that (and the “oss-nonoss-update-Packman-rule”), there can not be a generic guide how to set up repos; if you have an NVidia, you’ll probably want the NVidia-driver, so you should add the NVidia-repo - but the openSUSE-team can not give much support on that, since these drivers are proprietary and not in the control of the team. It’s your choice. ‘home:’-repos can be set up by anyone, and many do not feel the need to care for their packages as the openSUSE-team does, some of them are okay to use - in general one should be extra careful with them (by researching the packagers reputation, asking in forums etc.). I personally am pretty happy with the Mozilla-repo, but they also are not officially supported.

As I said: there’s no generic guide for that. What repos are you fiddling with?

Ok today I was able to add the opensuse-guide.org/repo/11.3/ for some reason yesterday it would not take it.

gropiuskalle these are the repos I am using in addition to reddwarf, packman, oss, and non oss.

download.opensuse.org/update/11.3/
download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/rpm/opensuse/11.3/
download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_11.3/
download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/UpdatedApps/openSUSE_11.3/

LoL 10 min edit limit. Ok = )
I also got some codecs from http://opensuse-community.org/codecs-gnome.ymp from this guide:
The Perfect Desktop - OpenSUSE 11.3 (GNOME) - Page 4 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
But will probably not do that again after reading the Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide

On 2010-12-13 23:06, Glasairmell wrote:

> I also notice that the software update does not up date some of the
> applications.

As documented :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Oh dear - live and learn

gropiuskalle these are the repos I am using in addition to reddwarf, packman, oss, and non oss.

download.opensuse.org/update/11.3/
download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/rpm/opensuse/11.3/
download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_11.3/
download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/UpdatedApps/openSUSE_11.3/

update is needed, Virtualbox has no alternative, Emulators:Wine can at least not risk much of your system, reddwarf: never used it - but there’s something about KDE:UpdatedApps that catched my attention; while the 11.2-repo of this source seems to be updated regularly, the 11.3-repo was updated almost a month ago for the last time. I myself thought it was completely dead, so maybe someone could give us some info on that. Which version of KDE do you use?

kde4-config --version

By the way: priorities and the exact URL are important too, so you should rather give us the output of

zypper lr -d

I use the KDE repo for a couple KDE aps I use. I am running Gnome. Lol, yup … living is learning. :wink:

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

—±------------------------------------±----------------------------------------±--------±--------±---------±---------±--------------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | 11.3 | Libdvdcss | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/11.3/ |
2 | PK_TMP_DIR | PK_TMP_DIR | Yes | Yes | 99 | plaindir | dir:///var/tmp/TmpDir.5TkkiV |
3 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3 |
4 | Virtualbox | Virtualbox | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /virtualbox/rpm/opensuse/11.3/ |
5 | Wine | Wine | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_11.3 |
6 | download.opensuse.org-UpdatedApps | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:UpdatedApps | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/UpdatedApps/openSUSE_11.3 |
7 | ftp.uni-erlangen.de-suse | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/mirrors/packman/suse/11.3/ |
8 | reddwarf | reddwarf | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/home:/RedDwarf/openSUSE_11.3 |
9 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss |
10 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss

Qt: 4.6.3
KDE Development Platform: 4.4.4 (KDE 4.4.4) “release 3”
kde4-config: 1.0

By way of a tidy up - as su -

zypper rr 2

Otherwise you should be good

zypper rr 2 done

Thank you very much for all the info provided from all three of you. I learned a lot here! The script mmcheck also helped to clean up some of the mess I made.

When 11.4 comes out I will probably do a fresh install hopefully keeping my /home partition intact. An hour of rebuild will probably be better then messing with an upgrade.

Best Regards and Happy Holidays!

I also occasionally enable this ‘wine’ repos, but a word of caution about it.

The version of ‘wine’ packaged on that repos is pretty cutting edge, and it will break your MS-Windows apps running under wine at times for various updates, and it may take many new wine releases before it is fixed again.

I use wine for ‘autostitch’ (a panormic photo stitching program) and it is rarely impacted negatively by wine updates. However I also use wine for the MS-Windows program VirtualDub with the deshaker plugin, and I’ve had wine updates break that on a couple occasions. In fact, a wine update in October broke it, and I had to roll back to the wine version that comes with openSUSE to get VirtualDub to work properly again. I have not tried the latest wine version since.

So a word of caution. If you don’t know how to easily roll back, then IMHO you should give the use of this wine repos second thought.

Ok oldcpu. Since all programs I depend on are working fine with the current wine version I have I will pull that repo for now.

Better can be the enemy of good :wink: