When will 4K be fully implemented as default resolution

Maybe not related to openSuse directly, but just wondering when can we expect 4K to be a implemented as default (at least optional) resolution for DE and applications so no monitor scaling is required in order to get readable font and menu sizes.

I remember back when HD was new, it took some time before it replaced SVGA and became fully implemented. I guess we kind of have the same situation now, or?

Tried to search for it, but could not find anything.

Your experience may depend on which graphical environment, as well as graphics hardware including monitors you are using. More definitive information might help others advise more specifically.

Perhaps it depends on what you’re using and I suppose how much proportions/aesthetics bother you. Personally I use a 4K VDU with KDE without scaling and with the native VDU DPI of 161 DPI and just dealt with any issues. I think the desktop looks OK.

If I recall correctly I may have had to adjust/select font-sizes in my konsole-profile and maybe my browser. I think I had to adjust the panel height and maybe the panel icon sizes. Some Java applications, such as eclipse, sweethome3d, needed some special config settings, but once I’d done that I didn’t find to many things that bothered me much.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.