What "SUSE bug report wizard" does CRBUG 41012584 refer to?

I recently located issues.chromium.org/issues/41012584#comment1, which mentions an apparently now-non-existent bug report wizard from SUSE. I’d like to know what wizard it was, in order to confirm that it no longer exists, so that the Chrome bug reporter can be re-enabled by default.

If you install dl.google.com/dl/linux/direct/google-chrome-canary_current_x86_64.rpm from google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/canary, by selecting the “64 bit .rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE)” radio checkbox, you’ll see that bug cited within what $(command -v google-chrome-canary) resolves to (/opt/google/chrome-canary/google-chrome-canary):

# We don't want bug-buddy intercepting our crashes. http://crbug.com/24120
export GNOME_DISABLE_CRASH_DIALOG=SET_BY_GOOGLE_CHROME

I’ll cite my previous discussion, although I doubt that any of the examples listed in that are what it refers to:

@rokejulianlockhart likely bug buddy, which was archived off in 2018… that is way too many years ago…
https://gitlab.gnome.org/Archive/bug-buddy

1 Like

@malcolmlewis, thanks! I’d presumed that that was the Chrome bug reporter, since Google returned almost no useful results. However, that appears to be a GNOME-specific precursor to Fedora’s GNOME Abrt. [1]

This means that the Chrome developers, in their infinite wisdom, disabled their crash reporter for all Chrome RPM installations (that is, without a check for whether invoked under GNOME or not), for something that they believed was specific to SUSE’s OSes (despite no OS check either), and have left it in for 10 years since its EOL. They’ve even auto-locked the damned issue. I’ll file a new one.


  1. gitlab.gnome.org/Archive/bug-buddy/-/blob/2c35dc0f9edb17079520cf67b93900c1655a24cf/README ↩︎

Maybe not. I intended to file the undermentioned at issuetracker.google.com/issues/new?component=1363614&template=1923680 (since issues.chromium.org/issues/wizard breaks with “Failed to create issue: [object Object]”): [1]

#### GNOME Bug Buddy hasn't existed since 2011, yet a check to disable it remains.

~~~YAML
Chrome Version (from the about:version page): 140.0.7285.0
Is this the most recent version: Yes
OS + version: `cpe:/o:fedoraproject:fedora:42`
CPU architecture (32-bit / 64-bit): 64-bit
Window manager: kwin-6.4.2-1.fc42.x86_64
URLs (if relevant): file:///opt/google/chrome-canary/google-chrome-canary#:~:text=%23%20We%20don't%20want%20bug%2Dbuddy,export%20GNOME_DISABLE_CRASH_DIALOG=SET_BY_GOOGLE_CHROME
Behavior in Linux Firefox: 
Behavior in Windows Chrome (if you have access to it): 
~~~

##### What steps will reproduce the problem?

1. Install `google-chrome-canary-140.0.7285.0-1.src.rpm` from [`dl.google.com/dl/linux/direct/google-chrome-canary_current_x86_64.rpm`][2].

   [2]: https://dl.google.com/dl/linux/direct/google-chrome-canary_current_x86_64.rpm.

2. ~~~sh
   #!/usr/bin/env sh
   cat $(command -v google-chrome-canary)
   ~~~

##### What happens?

Inside `cat $(command -v google-chrome-canary)` is:

~~~sh
# We don't want bug-buddy intercepting our crashes. http://crbug.com/24120
export GNOME_DISABLE_CRASH_DIALOG=SET_BY_GOOGLE_CHROME
~~~

[`bug-buddy` hasn't existed for > 12 years. Additionally, it GNOME-specific][1], yet there's no check for the DE. Likewise, considering that it was solely confirmed to affect the reporter on a SUSE-developed OS, an OS check should have existed, but doesn't.

[1]: https://forums.opensuse.org/t/what-suse-bug-report-wizard-does-crbug-41012584-refer-to/186377/3

##### What is the expected result?

This should be removed.

##### Please provide any additional information below.

However, Firefox applies the same variable (at least, in its tests), [2] [3] [4] so perhaps there’s some sense to it. I’ll ask at discourse.mozilla.org/new-topic when bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1864191#c5 has been remediated.


  1. issuetracker.google.com/u/1/issues/430498037 ↩︎

  2. github.com/mozilla-firefox/firefox/blob/44b433258df6ae4ad83c0d88d0bff2e347d34133/testing/mozbase/mozrunner/mozrunner/utils.py#L88C10-L88C36 ↩︎

  3. github.com/mozilla-firefox/firefox/blob/44b433258df6ae4ad83c0d88d0bff2e347d34133/testing/tps/tps/testrunner.py#L50C10-L50C36 ↩︎

  4. github.com/mozilla-firefox/firefox/blob/44b433258df6ae4ad83c0d88d0bff2e347d34133/testing/mozbase/mozrunner/mozrunner/base/browser.py#L42C19-L42C45 ↩︎

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.