What software for recording .wav files

As the title says. What software do we use for recording .wav files? Does anything come as standard in 13.1? If not is there anything that can be downloaded with YAST Control Center. I searched, but found nothing. Failing all that, what software is recommended?

When I want to record a .wav file, I normally do it straight from a konsole/xterm with :

arecord -vv -f S16_LE -c 2 -D hw:2,0 newrecording.wav

where ‘newrecording.wav’ is an arbitrary file name for the .wav file (pick any name with a .wav extension that you like). S16_LE is the format specified (via the -f option). The “-vv” gives me a verbose output with a dynamic recording level bar. I stop the recording by pressing when the konsole/xterm has focus.

Where does the “hw:2,0” come from ? That is the specified hardware card and device. How does obtain that ? In my PC’s case, if I first send the command “arecord -l” (thats a lower case “L”) I get:

oldcpu@4770:~> arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 2: ALC892 Alt Analog [ALC892 Alt Analog]
**card 2:** U0x46d0x821 [USB Device 0x46d:0x821], **device 0:** **USB Audio** [USB Audio]

where I want to record with my USB webcam, which is detected above and referred to as “USB Audio”. I highlighted in red that it is card-2, device-0, which corresponds to hw:2,0

I don’t nominally use a GUI based program for recording a .wav file, so if that is what you are looking for, I’ll let others chime in and give you an answer there.

Seems to me, audacity can do the job for you. Try that out and see.