What Nvidia drivers for a GT 1030?

Should they be G03, G04, G06 or G06? It’s rather simple but I want to be sure. Don’t be afraid to ask me questions :slight_smile:

This kind info can be found in the Nvidia webpage, look for linux drivers and specify your model.

I have GT 1030 and use G06. All that is important for me works fine and I have seen no problems so far in three years.

> inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GP108 [GeForce GT 1030] driver: nvidia v: 550.54.14
  Device-2: Logitech Webcam C270 driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo type: USB
  Display: x11 server: X.org v: 1.21.1.11 driver: X: loaded: nvidia
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa gpu: nvidia,nvidia-nvswitch
    resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: nvidia,swrast
    platforms: gbm,x11,surfaceless,device
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: nvidia mesa v: 550.54.14
    renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030/PCIe/SSE2

I asked ChatGPT to help me install them because I wasn’t aware of the wiki and ChatGPT installed G04 for me and it works but I haven’t tried playing games with it and videos on YouTube are like 20FPS. I installed G06 the way the openSuSE wiki said and when I rebooted the animations were gone and the cursor moved in a weird perfect speed and angle like how cartoons or movies depict it and it was unusable so I had to rollback. And I did remove G04 after installing the G06.

Really? Or are you a BOT?

That’s amusing, G04 installs drivers from the 390 series, not maintained anymore and still there for ancient cards that may still be in service (the oldest compatible driver for the GT1030 suggested by Nvidia is from the 470 series, G06 currently installs a 550 driver)

No, it cannot. NVIDIA does not know anything about G03, G04, G05 or G06 and no table that maps these three letters to NVIDIA hardware exists. It is SUSE specific designation.

@arvidjaar maybe I expressed myself too succinctly and was misunderstood: 3 years ago I looked up in the Nvidia webpage about what driver suited my graphics card. The answer I found then was the 550 driver. Then I looked up on the openSUSE repos to see what pakages corresponded to the 55o driver and and figured out it was G06, which I installed and everything went fine. Hope you find this text less confusing. :upside_down_face:

Or simply look at the openSUSE wiki which maps the Gxx to the driver version:
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers#Determination_of_driver_version

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.