What is the correct driver for Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS?

I just finished installing Opensuse 12.1 KDE and, with some effort, I have been able to make everything work. But I feel that graphics are slow.
I have a Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS video card. Currently I’m using the noveua driver that came in the installation media. But as I said my graphics are slow.
So I add the repo ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/12.1/ but when I went to the Yast package manager and searched for “nvidia” I found several options that left completely cofused about what to use.
For example in the software list there is: nvidia-gfx-kmp-default, nvidia-gfx-kmp-desktop, nvidia-gfx-kmp-pae, nvidia-gfxG01-kmp-default, nvidia-gfxG01-kmp-desktop, nvidia-gfxG01-kmp-pae, nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-default, nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-desktop, nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-pae, x11-video-nvidia, x11-video-nvidiaG01, x11-video-nvidiaG02.
So what should I install to make video acceleration work with my card?

You can also load the nVIDIA driver the hard way and I show you can use the most recent version 290.10 if you want to. Here are some links to look at:

Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Version 1.10 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

I’d first try the repo drivers, it’s easier and you won’t need to reistall after a kernel update.
For your VC you need the G02 packages. Note that there are different kernel flavors: kmp-desktop, kmp-default and kmp-pae. You’ll probably need:

nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-desktop
x11-video-nvidiaG02
nvidia-computeG02

x11-video-nvidiaG02 is the one you need to install. The others will be installed automatically:

sudo zypper ar ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/12.1/  nvidia
sudo zypper refresh
sudo in x11-video-nvidiaG02

Thanks.
I started trying to install x11-video-nvidiaG02 and the rest that is selected automatically but the results were very, very disastrous! :frowning:
It made also the installation of a new kernel, that in grub appears with the number 3.1.0-1.2.
After restarting I tried to load this option but after a considerable delay all I got was a command line screen.
I loaded the grub option I used before: Opensuse 12.1 and was able to load the system with KDE. But everything was slower than before. I could not even watch an flv video!
I uninstalled everything from nvidia except the noveau driver to see if things went back to the way they were before.
Now I’m able to start the system graphically using Opensuse 12.1 option in grub or Opensuse 12.1 3.1.0-1.2 in grub.
Graphics are less slow. (For example, I can watch an flv video now.) But they are still worse than before. For example, my kde desktop theme, Bare Naked, no longer makes the panel become invisible. Often I get graphical artifacts when opening or closing applications and some that use more graphical resources like kaffeine crash very often.
I’m going to donwload nvidia driver and see if I understand that complex procedure of installing the hard way.
Meanwhile, if someone has some useful idea or guidance, PLEASE HELP ME!!! (My situation is terrible!:()

Ok. I was able to install nvidia the hard way.
I ahve to be honest and say that installing it the hard way is not really hard. What is hard is to understand the different instructions found all over the web. So I made a compilation of what I understood and did the following:
1 installed gcc, make and kernel-dev
2 entered yast/bootloader and added to the last line of my default boot option nomodeset
3 rebooted
4 started in failsafe mode
5 logged as root
6 typed init 3
7 went to the director isaved the driver
8 type sh <name of nvidia driver file>

It worked very nicely. However there’s a procedure everyone advices to do and I didn’t: blacklist nouveau.
How is it done? Adding any line to any file? Using any command on command line?
And if we need in future, how is it undone?

1st off, I am thinking you did not look at the two blogs I posted that could have provided the help you needed for loading the nVIDIA driver the hard way:

Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Or the bash script that can help you install it and blacklist the right file for you here:

LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Version 1.20 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

You can use my SKIM script to see if the nouveau is even loaded:

S.K.I.M. - SuSE Kernel Installed Modules - A lsmod replacement- Creates Alphabetized Module Listing - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Finally, you can open up a terminal session and run the following command to blacklist the driver manually:

sudo echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf

Thank You,

I really saw your blogs, found them helpful and as they themselves indicated I went to the official opensuse nvidia installation (the hard way) page. I noted several differences between your blogs and opensuse official instructions and sad to say, I understood little of all. So as I mentioned above I made a compilation of what I read in your blogs, opensuse site and another related sites, selected what they had in common and what I could understand plus my limited knowledge about compiling using sh command and did the above.
I appreciate your work but unfortunately I didn’t understand it up to the point of taking full advantage of it.
As for the S.K.I.M. script I have just run it right now.
In the results there is only one module related to nvidia, that is, nvidia 12136858 40 -.
There’s nothing called nouveau on the list.
Does that mean that nouveau is not running? Do I need to blacklist it?
And anyway, thanks.

If you don’t find the nouveau module listed in the loaded modules, it is not there and is likely been blacklisted for you. When using the YaST method to install the nVIDIA driver, this happens automatically and may be left over from those attempts. As for understanding it all, consider we all started at the same place. I can remember being clueless on many Linux operations. So, thats OK, just keep digging and asking questions. Do consider we are trying to make your life easier if you can only use the help.

Thank You,

Thank you.
It was very encouranging. I find it sorry that most people where I lve say that linux is complicated and remain stuck with mswin.
I’m not a geek but at least I have taken the following steps and trying to learn. At the end it’s rewarding to have my system customized, working right and supplying my needs.
Thanks for the help.

Well, I thought everything was OK now but it seems that something is wrong.
After having the drivers installed and everything running it happenned about three or four times that after boot kde loaded aparently correctly but when I tried to move the mouse cursor I found out that my whole system was frozen, mouse, keyboard, and I had to use reset button.
Once my system froze while playing a song in amarok.
And another time firefox crashed while alternating between open windows.

May it have something to do with video card?

I can’t replicate those situation to give detailed information.
Any suggestions or guidance are appreciated

So video is most often to blame. Some had a problem after loading 32 bit openSUSE with the KDE desktop and the proprietary nVIDIA video driver as in the past, this combination did not always work. Further, on several occasions, it was as simple as a bad wireless mouse (low battery or some other problem) that was causing the freeze. What everyone can say is it is hardware related. It could be an over heating CPU due to a bad fan, buildup of dust or even poor air circulation. It the end, its hard to know what direction to point you to for sure. When you are running, I have a script that installs a utility from Packman that would be helpful in listing all of your hardware. You can fin it here:

H.I. Hardware Information - A Bash script to install and run inxi with default options! - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

oldcpu., another of our Moderators really likes using inxi, so I put it into a script that might make it easier to install and make run. Anyway, its worth a try if none of our other suggestions seem to hit home.

Thank You,

I really had problems with video card before. Some months ago my pc got no image in a cold boot and I had to reset to make it work. I resolved it cleaning the video card with compressed air and a rubber. But I forgot to direct compressed air to its slot on the motherboard. I don’t if that may be the cause or if my video card is damaged.
I’ll give a try to inxi too.
Thank you for the help.

Compressed air is our friend and can be used to clean dust from anything inside your PC. I use it on ALL heat sinks and the main power supply. I normally buy a couple of cans and clean out each PC at least once a year. My daughter keeps several cats (I know, what can I say) and its unreal how much hair and dust gets into her PC. Doing a cleaning twice a year is almost not enough. Just make sure the PC is turned off and unplugged from the wall and give it a few minutes longer for the Power Supply capacitors to run down. Then go wild blasting everything in the PC. If there is much dust, I even take the PC outside before I do any cleaning. And as always, we wish you the best of luck in getting your PC working.

Thank You,

Compressed air is our friend and can be used to clean dust from anything inside your PC. I use it on ALL heat sinks and the main power supply. I normally buy a couple of cans and clean out each PC at least once a year. My daughter keeps several cats (I know, what can I say) and its unreal how much hair and dust gets into her PC. Doing a cleaning twice a year is almost not enough. Just make sure the PC is turned off and unplugged from the wall and give a few minutes longer for the Power Supply capacitors to run down. Then go wild blasting everything in the PC. If there is much dust, I even take the PC outside before I do any cleaning. As as always, we wish you the best of luck in getting your PC working.

Thank You,

Thanks too.

Hello
I have installed opensuse 11.4 with kde 4, well i install too nvidia driver 290 with yast2 but the machine freeze in a random moment
i have zotac geforce 8400 gs, i think nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-desktop, x11-video-nvidiaG02 nvidia-computeG02 no is the correct driver

If you wish to install the nVIDIA driver using YaST, you get what ever version is in the repository. Do not also attempt to load the nVIDIA driver the hard way at the same time. It will not work.

Thank You,

I read in this forum
today exists driver nvidia 295 but i expect this driver work good

290.10 is the present stable release. There is a beta out that is numbered 295.? if you want to try it out. You can readore here: Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,