What happend to OpenSuse, what they currently deliver is just garbage

What I’ve experienced with OpenSuse the last couple of days is just a nightmare, I’ve tried to upgrade some of my computers to leap 42.3 since 42.2 has just support for half a year again:

First computer, a Dell laptop from 2010:

I did a complete new install of leap 42.3 and I used the included script to install the Broadcom firmware files for the WIFI hardware. But on restart the kernel complied that the firmware files where not available because they where searched on the wrong path. I’ve filed a bug on bugzilla and one of the developer found out that this was a duplicate bug and marked it accordingly. But since then no one was working on a fix of the original bug, I’ve could make it work for me with reloading the b43 module after startup via /etc/init.d/after.local. Since the no one is working on this bug respectively to fix it

Next computer: Lenovo Yoga 910:

I did a complete new install of leap 42.3 with the known issues with this laptop that where never fixed over year (for example you have to blacklist the module ideapad_laptop to get bluetooth and wifi to work). After installing it, a shutdown of the computer was not possible, it was always hanging during shutdown so I had always to kill it using the power switch. Next problem was that bluetooth was mostly not working after resuming from suspend, I’ve tried to install a systemd service that reloads the bluetooth module after suspend but this was not working all the time, mostly it failed to load the driver again. Next trial was to install Tumbleweed, but here the nightmare began with the installer. The screen was all the time flickering, the title bar of the installer moved always filling the screen from the to to the bottom, this could be interrupted by moving the mouse, so I was able to start the installation by moving the mouse that gave me the time to make the needed settings. After the installation was done, mostly bluetooth was working after suspend but I was still not able to shutdown the computer without to kill it, later on I was unable to get wifi working again, but now idea what the reason is. Solution: Reinstall Leap 42,2 again with the current stable kernel.

Next computer: Workstation with AMD Ryzen 1800:

Since leap 42.3 is coming with an Asbach-Uralt-Kernel (OpenSuse seems to go the same way as Debian where you need an at least ten years old computer to get all the hardware working) I’ve tried to install Tumbleweed. In contrast to my Lenovo Yoga the installer seemed to be OK but it was not able (I’ve tried two times) to install the boot loader. The only way to get Tumbleweed on this computer was to install leap 42.2 and afterwards to do a distribution upgrade. I didn’t had the time to test this install in the meantime since I had to bring the laptop back to work again.

My conclusion is to let all my computers on 42.2 since the leap 42.3 and also the Tumbleweed releases are completely useless. I just hope that the next release will be better, otherwise Windoof wiil be fever evil.

Hi
Not a request for help, moving to soapbox. Temporarily closed.

Hi
Moved and reopened.

hkottmann;2832404 Wrote:
> My conclusion is to let all my computers on 42.2 since the leap 42.3 and
> also the Tumbleweed releases are completely useless. I just hope that
> the next release will be better, otherwise Windoof wiil be fever evil.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I think media hardware drivers in GNU/Linux (especially graphics, sound, and
wireless/bluetooth) are routinely flaky. It’s 2017, and it’s still a chore to install a printer driver in GNU/Linux…

But I’m surprised by your experiences of Leap 42.3. The packages seem only slightly more modern than 42.2. Nevertheless
new releases (however minor) always come with bugs in the beginning so it’s never a good idea to install onto
mission-critical systems within the first month of release. Generally speaking there are 3 options:

1. Install on non-mission-critical systems and forum-post your problems so they can be dealt with.
  2. Wait a month, install on non-mission-critical system then if happy on mission-critical system.
  3. Sit out the release.

When I have (or rather `when I used to have’) time, I would do #1, but more recently I’m finding I’m usually doing #2.
The only time I did #3 was Leap 42.1 because for me that was a disaster. Perhaps the same is true for you for 42.3, but
it wouldn’t be fair for you to decide until at least a month has passed until the bugs have been ironed out.

This is bad luck.
Three Computers and no one running Leap 42.3.
I would be awake too.
Maybe with some patience and help here in the Forum you might try to solve one at a time