What do the Logon Symbols represent??

I have looked hi and low and all over and can not find a description of the Symbolic Logon of our newest openSuSE. I think they are #1. Read in the Kernel, #2. Initialize, #3. Start Apache, #4. Setup a User Desktop and #5. Start KDE… -But- I’m just guessing. Anyone know where they are properly described -or- do you know yourself the proper descriptions??

Thanks,
Chuck

I do not know th answer, but to me it seems that you are mixing up booting and login. At login there can be no “Read in the kernel” because the kernel is loaded at boot, way before you even get your login screen. Same for something like “Start Apache”. That is done during boot and Apache (when used at all) will run independent of the fact if anybody is loged in or not.

Maybe you should be more factual. Also saying things like “our newest openSuSE” is not helpfull (apart from the typo). When someone finds this thread next year, another openSUSE level will be the “newest”.

what exactly are you referring to? can you take a photo of those 5
“Logon Symbols”, put it on paste.opensuse.org, and tell us the URL so we
have a clue what you are asking.

DD
What does DistroWatch write about YOU?: http://tinyurl.com/SUSEonDW

Can you take a photo from the screen you talk about and post a link to
it here? Maybe that makes it more clear.
And also the same question, what is your latest openSUSE version, we can
not see it?

PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.8.0 |
nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

Oh Darn. Thought it would be a simple question -but- since all of you seem to be confused by it -maybe- that is why I have not found an answer. IF you do not “Automatically” logon you are presented with a screen that has a place for you to enter your Username and Password. After that you are presented a screen with a box that gets filled with:

1. A Hard Disc icon
  2. A Skull and Cross bones … No actually it is a Screw driver and a Hammer.
  3. A Globe Icon
  4. A Desktop Icon
  5. and finally a KDE icon.

These are the five stages that the System goes through AFTER logging in. From all the Web searching, I came up with my first synopsis which I got scolded for -but- I don’t think I was totally wrong cause I think that the first symbol signifies some kind of kernel ops and the second signifies something to do with the inits and some tools. Hence the two symbols. The third assumption was cause of the Globe and the WWW. The fourth cause of the Symbol for the Desktop and the Fifth the reason should be obvious. I had tried to find out exactly what these five “Steps” -or- “Stages” were before cause when we only had a “Bar Marching” across it appeared to move in fifths. At that time I was having a problem with my nVidia Driver. When I got to see this “Symbolic” logon (Which we had way, way… back, and it is now restored again) I found that the fifth stage was KDE -and- using that info I was able to find the problem. KDE and nVidia don’t get along all the time. I had to edit kwinrc in .kde4 in order to get a logon. This was in an earlier version of 12.1… which by the way, in my signature to these forum messages is listed as part of my OS along with the latest KDE version.
Thanks,
Chuck

I never do a auto login, but at least now I understand what you mean, it
is this “progress bar” while KDE loads the desktop.

PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.8.0 |
nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

Well, I think I understand better now what you mean. Those icons wre there als in a KDE long and long ago. They were replaced by a ruler (which you mention) and now it is icons again. It is all playwork by the geek of te day I guess, thus not everybody is realy interested. Most will look elsewhere or get coffee, or adjust their chair while these sorts of things happen (same for booting).

But as I explaied, when you login, that is after the system booted simply becaus one can only login in a running system. Thus the icons have nothing to do with the kernel or with system services. They can only have a connection (when they have one) with things like:
. starting the window manager;
. checking the environment (from kernel info like /proc and friends) for usefull information (like hardware that can be used directly by the end-user) and reggistering this;
. starting KDE prcocesses that create the panels, etc you see;
. starting the applets;
. starting everything that should be restored from the last session (when you coonfigured such behaviour));
. starting all that you configured to be started on every KDE login you do.
May be more to be identfied and this not nessecary in the correct sequence.

But it is unclear to me what icon corresponds to what action and why a particular icon is chosen. When one realises that all these thing like rulers are only there because people seem to think that a computer is doing nothing when they do not see anything moving, then it is very unimportant what moves actualy. I remember we had a program on a big system that only moved te magnetic tapes to and from and rewinded them, etc. at random when an important visitors showed up in the computer room. Just because on TV that also was the image of a “working” computer in those times.rotfl!

Well, as the above does not realy answer your question, you might wait here for somebody who knows, but yoo could also go to the KDE forums and ask there: Index page • KDE Community Forums

Hey! Cool! I didn’t know we could do that! When did this happen? How come I wasn’t notified? :slight_smile:

On 03/02/2012 04:46 PM, hcvv wrote:
> you might wait here for somebody who knows

i don’t know…they are just pretty pictograms for the user who hasn’t
got anything better to do than stare at the screen as KDE lumbers into
life…

and, it is entirely up to the user what is seen moving…go here:
Personal Settings - Configure Desktop > Workspace Appearance and
Behavior > Workspace Appearance > Splash Screen and change to something
other than the default (which is what you see now, i guess)

you can even spend hours getting and installing new themes…

or, do like i do: If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

DD http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat

On 03/02/2012 04:56 PM, montana suse user wrote:
> I didn’t know we could do that! When did this happen?

do what? use paste.opensuse?? been that way for months…maybe a year…

DD

hcvv wrote:
> When one realises that all these thing like
> rulers are only there because people seem to think that a computer is
> doing nothing when they do not see anything moving, then it is very
> unimportant what moves actualy. I remember we had a program on a big
> system that only moved te magnetic tapes to and from and rewinded them,
> etc. at random when an important visitors showed up in the computer
> room. Just because on TV that also was the image of a “working”
> computer in those times.rotfl!

A long time ago, a hardware guy told me that when called to a broken
machine, the first thing to do is open it up and take a board out. Then
you can stare at the board whilst you think about what might be wrong.
If you try thinking before touching the machine, the customer thinks
you’re just wasting time.

On 2012-03-02 17:46, Dave Howorth wrote:
> A long time ago, a hardware guy told me that when called to a broken
> machine, the first thing to do is open it up and take a board out. Then
> you can stare at the board whilst you think about what might be wrong.
> If you try thinking before touching the machine, the customer thinks
> you’re just wasting time.

:slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)