Welcome to OpenSUSE 13.1 "Bottle".. wait what?

So i installed openSUSE 13.1 Live KDE version yesterday. It all went very smooth but for some reason my fan inside my HP Pavilion g6 laptop went really hot as i used and discovered the desktop. I searched the web and i found out that i probably should update my AMD driver and that’s what i did and then went to sleep (I don’t even know if it helped). Now when i wake up and after my computer has been rebooting i find it in this terminal type of screen with the text: Welcome to openSUSE 13.1 “Bottle” - Kernel 3.11.6-4 desktop (tty1) and it asks for Linux-v4mv login which is the one that i created when i installed openSUSE. So i am quite unfamiliar with this stuff… all i can remember is that there were also about 100 updates that i had to do but just forgot about them for the moment.
So my questions are… what am i going to do? How do i handle this “Bottle”? Have other people also experienced a fan running hot in openSUSE and are all those 100 updates really necessary?

Regards /Nox

“Bottle” is just the codename of this openSUSE release.

Your problem seems to come from the fact that it fails to load the graphics driver.
First, to get a graphical system again, choose “Advanced Options” in the boot menu and select “Recovery Mode”.

Then please post the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old (upload it to http://susepaste.org or similar and post a link).

As you mentioned you installed the “AMD driver”: what graphics card do you actually have? How did you install the driver?

On 2014-05-26 10:16, NoxTattoo wrote:

“Bottle” is just the code name of 13.1 - see my signature.
> login which is the one that i created when i installed openSUSE. So i am
> quite unfamiliar with this stuff… all i can remember is that there were
> also about 100 updates that i had to do but just forgot about them for
> the moment.

Only a hundred? Seem too few to me, for a fresh install :slight_smile:

You could also post your repo list:

zypper lr --details

and please do so inside code tags (the ‘#’ button in the forum editor).
[/URL

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)
](“http://susepaste.org/15093674”)

< Deleted by Nox

Thank you for the replies fellas!

So what i have done so far is to reinstall openSUSE and it is working fine. Although i still have a little bit of a overheating problem with the fan.
I am not really the techie kind of person, but this is what i got on my Graphical Information from the Kinfocenter.

Vendor Intel Open Source Technology Center
Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile
OpenGL&ES version 3.0 Mesa 9.2.2
Kernel module i915

I do believe that it’s not really All the info… but that’s what i found. My machine do also use Radeon Graphics which i don’t really have any info on.
What i downloaded before was
SDB:AMD fglrx

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

Version 13.1

And here is the Repo list

# | Alias                     | Name                               | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                     | Service
--+---------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
1 | openSUSE-13.1-1.10        | openSUSE-13.1-1.10                 | Yes     | No      |   99     | yast2  | cd:///?devices=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-hp_DVD-RAM_UJ8B1_SMB4808193,/dev/sr0 |        
2 | repo-debug                | openSUSE-13.1-Debug                | No      | Yes     |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/          |        
3 | repo-debug-update         | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Debug         | No      | Yes     |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/13.1/                         |        
4 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Debug-Non-Oss | No      | Yes     |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/13.1-non-oss/                 |        
5 | repo-non-oss              | openSUSE-13.1-Non-Oss              | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/repo/non-oss/            |        
6 | repo-oss                  | openSUSE-13.1-Oss                  | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/                |        
7 | repo-source               | openSUSE-13.1-Source               | No      | Yes     |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/         |        
8 | repo-update               | openSUSE-13.1-Update               | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.1/                               |        
9 | repo-update-non-oss       | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Non-Oss       | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.1-non-oss/   

> Only a hundred? Seem too few to me, for a fresh install :slight_smile:

Well yeah perhaps i under exaterated… it’s about 200. :>

So yeah… the fan has the be the last problem and it also seems to be connected with the drivers from what i have read on various forums.

On 2014-05-26 16:46, NoxTattoo wrote:

> I am not really the techie kind of person, but this is what i got on my
> Graphical Information from the Kinfocenter.
>
> Vendor Intel Open Source Technology Center
> Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile
> OpenGL&ES version 3.0 Mesa 9.2.2
> Kernel module i915
>
> I do believe that it’s not really All the info… but that’s what i
> found. My machine do also use Radeon Graphics which i don’t really have
> any info on.
>
> What i downloaded before was
> SDB:AMD FGLRX

Oh. It is one of those hybrids, intel/amd graphics. I do not know how to
handle them.

Possibly you need some special support, not the plain amd driver.
Somebody else will have to guide you there.

> And here is the Repo list

>> Only a hundred? Seem too few to me, for a fresh install :slight_smile:
>
> Well yeah perhaps i under exaterated… it’s about 200. :>

Ok, so what you have are the official repos only. Then you should run
“yast online update” or “zypper patch” in a terminal, and let either of
them update whatever they want. Depending on what you have installed, it
can be a hundred or a thousand packages.

> So yeah… the fan has the be the last problem and it also seems to be
> connected with the drivers from what i have read on various forums.

It depends on whether it is the cpu fan, or the amd graphics fan, if
they are separate. I understand that you may need some separate driver
for controlling power on some amd cpus (which I do not know if you
have). There was a recent thread on that.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

AFAIK on AMD/intel hybrids there’s no special driver necessary. The fglrx driver should handle it just fine, although some people had problems especially with that.

But we should start with what AMD graphics chipset it is exactly. Maybe it is not supported by the fglrx driver any more.

Please post the output of:

/sbin/lspci -nnk

You need to identify your graphics chip to know if your system is configured correctly. Start by running the following and if you still need help post the results

lspci | grep VGA

The other graphics related info you posted is just “supporting” video modules, none identify the actual GPU.
The only things I can see are that your machine is some kind of mobile device (likely a laptop) and that the systemboard is a relatively recent manufacture.

Since this is a brand new install, I also highly recommend you run the following at least once immediately after install (it’s up to you whether you will want to continue to update or simply patch after that). This is especially important if you have very recent hardware (manufactured within the last year and a half or so as of this writing which is related to the original release of openSUSE 13.1), improvements for very recent hardware won’t be installed unless and until you run the following, and it’s not good enough to simply patch…

zypper update

TSU

Alright so i ran

/sbin/lspci -nnk

and this is what it gave:

/sbin/lspci -nnk
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller [8086:0104] (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:1670]
00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port [8086:0101] (rev 09)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09)
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915
00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 [8086:1c3a] (rev 04)
        Kernel driver in use: mei_me
        Kernel modules: mei_me
00:1a.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 [8086:1c2d] (rev 05)
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1c20] (rev 05)
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:1c10] (rev b5)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 [8086:1c12] (rev b5)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 [8086:1c14] (rev b5)
00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 [8086:1c26] (rev 05)
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller [8086:1c49] (rev 05)
        Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
        Kernel modules: lpc_ich
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller [8086:1c03] (rev 05)
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller [8086:1c22] (rev 05)
        Kernel modules: i2c_i801
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Seymour [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series] [1002:6760]
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Radeon HD 6470M [103c:1670]
        Kernel driver in use: radeon
        Kernel modules: radeon
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Ralink corp. RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe [1814:5390]
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company U98Z077.00 Half-size Mini PCIe Card [103c:1636]
        Kernel driver in use: rt2800pci
        Kernel modules: rt2800pci
03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 05)
        Kernel driver in use: r8169
        Kernel modules: r8169
04:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5209 PCI Express Card Reader [10ec:5209] (rev 01)
        Kernel driver in use: rtsx_pci
        Kernel modules: rtsx_pci

And i also ran

zypper update

and it lets be install one update package: **yast2-inetd-doc

**Hope it helps to set some sort of diagnosis to the problem!

Ok, so this card is indeed supported by the fglrx driver.

Try to install fglrx again, in YaST f.e. if you still have the repo added.

Then reboot.
If it doesn’t work, please boot to “Recovery Mode” (as explained earlier) and post the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old (upload it to http://susepaste.org or similar and post a link).

OTOH, I’m not even sure that it’s the graphics driver that caused your laptop to get hot.
Maybe the CPU was under heavy load?
If it happens again, try to press Strg+ESC and look if there’s some process working and which.

Alright so i have rebooted successfully after installing fglrx but the fan doesn’t seem to be calm down.

I opened up System Activity (Strg+ESC) and all i see is what i am currently running… firefox 133,888 k memory… krunner 15,296 k, plasma-desktop 43,388 k and Krunner 15,296 k. And alot else such as kwin, virtuso-t and alot of Root.

Also i am wondering how i can recieve this /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old file? It seems like it is Permission denied in the terminal.

On 2014-05-27 01:16, NoxTattoo wrote:
>
> Alright so i have rebooted successfully after installing fglrx but the
> fan doesn’t seem to be calm down.
>
> I opened up System Activity (Strg+ESC) and all i see is what i am
> currently running… firefox 133,888 k memory… krunner 15,296 k,
> plasma-desktop 43,388 k and Krunner 15,296 k. And alot else such as
> kwin, virtuso-t and alot of Root.

No, the important thing is how much CPU they use, not memory.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2014-05-27 01:16, NoxTattoo wrote:
> Also i am wondering how i can recieve this /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old file?
> It seems like it is Permission denied in the terminal.

So use sudo or su.

Like:

su
less /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old

But the file is normally readable by everybody… So do you really get
“permission denied”?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Alright, so whole in whole it only uses about 3-4% of the CPU.

That did the trick! Here is the log:
http://susepaste.org/43644949

Hm. According to the log, the fglrx driver is loaded and working fine AFAICT.

Maybe some kernel options would help?
Googling for “HP Pavilion g6 linux too hot fan” gave me this:
[SOLVED] HP Pavillion g6 is overheating since Ubuntu 12.04 installation. , which suggest those options could help:

thermal.off=1 acpi_osi=

So try to add that to the “Optional Kernel Parameter” line in YaST->System->Boot Loader->Boot Loader Options.

To only try them for one boot without changing anything on your system, press ‘e’ at the boot menu, search for the line starting with “linux” and append them to the end. Then press ‘F10’ to boot.

I think that did it. There is a clear difference in the fan in comparison to how it was before, now it runs normally and seems under control.

I can’t thank you guys enough. I believe the case to be solved gentlemen!

My experience.
I have the HP ProBook 4740s with discrete AMD Radeon HD 7650M. I’d never used drivers from AMD and it is true that the fan used to be louder.
But since kernel version 3.13 huge change. The notebook is cold, the fan virtually ever heard and the battery life has increased on a yearly laptop to double time.

My advice is to add the Kernel stable repository and to install the newest stable kernel (this time 3.14.4). See http://kernel.opensuse.org/packages/stable

On 2014-05-27 10:06, wolfi323 wrote:

> Maybe some kernel options would help?
> Googling for “HP Pavilion g6 linux too hot fan” gave me this:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2039443 , which suggest those
> options could help:
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> thermal.off=1 acpi_osi=
> --------------------
>
> So try to add that to the “Optional Kernel Parameter” line in
> YaST->System->Boot Loader->Boot Loader Options.
>
> To only try them for one boot without changing anything on your system,
> press ‘e’ at the boot menu, search for the line starting with “linux”
> and append them to the end. Then press ‘F10’ to boot.

I don’t know if this applies, but have a read here, the answer by Malcolm:

http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=497864

A systemd service to set the power profile on a Radeon graphics card
that supports power modes on Linux, profiles available low, high,
default, auto.

And I remember reading a recent thread here about heat on amd cpus, but
I can’t locate it. Or maybe it was that one and I’m confused.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

I think this only applies to the radeon driver though.
AFAICS this sets the profile in /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile.
drm is the kernel’s Direct Rendering Manager (used by the KMS drivers), so not supported/used with/by fglrx IIANM.

On 2014-05-27 13:56, wolfi323 wrote:

> I think this only applies to the radeon driver though.
> AFAICS this sets the profile in
> /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile.
> drm is the kernel’s Direct Rendering Manager (used by the KMS drivers),
> so not supported/used with/by fglrx IIANM.

Oh.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.