Web pages won't load

I’m running 11.4. After closing my laptop for any length of time and then opening it, web pages never load in Firefox. The system tray shows that there’s still an Internet connection.

This never happened with Windows 7 on the same computer, nor did it happen with 11.3. I did have this same problem with Fedora 14.

Does anybody know what is going on?

I’m running 11.4. After closing my laptop for any length of time and then opening it, web pages never load in Firefox. The system tray shows that there’s still an Internet connection.

1. Do you mean after putting your laptop to sleep (suspend to ram)?
  2. Which desktop environment are you using (KDE, Gnome,…)
  3. What type of network connection? (Wireless, Wired, Dial-up)?
  4. What kind of network hardware (chipset)?

The following command may help answer the last question

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --network

This additional info may be helpful in answering your problem…

1. Yeah, system settings shows that closing the laptop puts it in sleep mode.
  2. KDE. But I had the same problem in Fedora 14 with GNOME.
  3. Ethernet.
  4. r8169

I should say that, as with Fedora, deactivating and then reactivating the connection from the system tray doesn’t fix the problem, and neither does unplugging the Ethernet cable and then plugging it back in. The only thing that fixes it is restarting the computer.

Have a look at /var/log/pm-suspend.log for any errors. This will give you an idea about what is failing.

There is a good ‘suspend/resume’ guide here, which will show you how to create hooks (via a script in /etc/pm/sleep.d) to shut down and restart your network for example (if required). It may be that you have to remove the r8169 driver (with modprobe -r r8169) during suspend, and reinstate it on resume (with modprobe r8169), and restart the network (with rcnetwork restart). This process can take a little experimentation to determine what is required. You may find it easier to type the commands in a console (before and after suspending), before committing them to a script.

Below is a sample script that may (or may not) work without further tweaks. (Its just to give you an idea):

#!/bin/bash
case $1 in
   hibernate)
       /etc/init.d/network stop
       /sbin/modprobe -r r8169
       ;;
   suspend)
       /etc/init.d/network stop
       /sbin/modprobe -r r8169
       ;;
   thaw)
       /sbin/modprobe r8169
       /etc/init.d/network start
       ;;
   resume)
       /sbin/modprobe r8169
       /etc/init.d/network start
       ;;
   *)  echo "somebody is calling me totally wrong."
       ;;
esac

Create it via an editor (and give it a name eg 10network_script). It needs to be made executable with

chmod +x /etc/pm/sleep.d/10network_script

Good luck.

Looking at the log file I found this:

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager suspend suspend:
Having NetworkManager put all interaces to sleep...Failed.

I tried running only the network commands before and after suspending, but that had no effect. But running both network and modprobe solved the problem. Interestingly, the problem never occurred on later suspends, even without running the commands before and after again. Only after restarting the computer did I have to run the commands before and after the first suspend again to avoid the problem.

But I went ahead and created the hook, which executes the commands for each suspend, so I don’t have to type them anymore. I do notice that it takes a few more seconds to enter and leave sleep mode when closing and opening the laptop.

I’m thinking I should report this as a bug, because, as I said, I never had this problem with 11.3.

When I posted this problem on the Fedora forums, I never got a solution. Thanks for figuring it out for me Deano!

I’m thinking I should report this as a bug, because, as I said, I never had this problem with 11.3.

When I posted this problem on the Fedora forums, I never got a solution. Thanks for figuring it out for me Deano!

Great result! Yes, I would file a bug report. Its the only way it will get fixed. Now you can share the solution with users at the Fedora forums. :slight_smile: