WD NAS on openSUSE 12.3

Hi all,

I’m new to the community.

I’m planning to extend my hard drive storage by installing a WD NAS, more specifically “WD My Book Live 3TB External Network Hard Drive (WDBACG0030HCH-NESN)”, and connecting it to my LinkSYS router.
The plan is to share files in my home network over samba.

I wonder if anyone in the forum has already installed it.
Did you face any problems?
I didn’t find much information searching on Google and in this forum.

• openSUSE 12.3 (32 bits)
  • Vantec external USB drive (1 TB)
  • Dual boot openSUSE / WinXP
  • Mac Mini is hooked to the network
  • Original XBox (the black one) is hooked to the network, for streaming videos purposes. XBMC is installed in the XBox.

Thanks for reading.
Davo

This thread should help you with this

https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/network-internet/488071-problems-mounting-nas-device-open-suse-12-3-a.html

Think it also lists what I did on 11.4

Samba is for sharing files from a linux based machine with windows users. You shouldn’t need it to make any use of it… In all probability the software in the NAS is linux based including SAMBA. Many can be hacked by the owners because of that. Not that I have found anything facilities worth adding that way. I guess people do it for fun.

Assuming this NAS is like most you can access the NAS’s web / control pages via any browser from Linux. You may find that it can offer NFS shares for linux users. The set up for that is similar to CIFS using similarly named but NFS commands. The processing power in these small NAS’s is on the low side though so if windows users are about it’s best to just use CIFS. The NAS doesn’t have to run an NFS server as well as the default CIFS one then. The CIFS client protocol is directly built into linux anyway. Samba is a server.

John

Thank you for your response, John.

That’s exactly what I needed to know:

1. The NAS connected to the router get an IP address, and that IP Address is mounted in the system, and shared through the home network.
  2. Didn’t know about mounting CIFS, so you gave me the initial point where to start.
  3. I’m using samba server to share the current external drive (USB) with the XBox (for music and video streaming) and the Mac mini. I’ll dig deeper if that’s not necessary, all thought right now is working fine.

I’ll buy the WD NAS and will post here my installing/configuring experience on openSUSE 12.3

Thanks again!
Davo
PS: Didn’t know I shouldn’t mention specific products or ask questions about concrete products (brand names/models) in these forums. Sorry for that.