Wanting to try openSuse

I used to use SuSe back in the day (9.3 era) and I see Suse has grown leaps and bounds. Lately I’ve been using ubuntu since it just kinda worked and windows 7 for work.

Lately, I’ve been finding ubuntu lacks a polished feel, and I find my self wanting to give Suse another shot. I left back in 10.1 because the glaring bugs that launched with the distro, I still actually have my 9.3 and 10.1 discs haha.

Anyway I notice this place is pretty quiet that strikes me as good after the hellish cluster that the ubuntu forums can turn into.

Welcome back - I remember 9.3 and the problems with 10.1 but they got sorted out by 10.3 which was a very solid distro and, now that the agonies of moving to KDE4 are largely over, 11.2 provided a very solid experience which 11.3 is building on.

10.1 was the only problematic version dueing to ZenUpdater. Because its Zen is not standard since 10.2 everything works smooth. For my oppinion 10.3 and 11.2 were the best and most stable versions. Now i am trying 11.3 and i am happy again.

Pilgervater wrote:
> For my oppinion 10.3 and 11.2 were the best and most stable
> versions. Now i am trying 11.3 and i am happy again.

used 9.2 & 9.3, then 10.2 and now still using 10.3–and VERY happy
to see you are happy again with 11.3, i may just go ahead and install
it, when Linux Format (magazine) sends me the disk (my burner died)

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

I am now using 11.3 Gnome on my seven year old comp with 1.3 gig Duron processor and 1gig mem. I was previously using PC LINUX which worked good but this Suse is something else and I think I will stick with it. Very solid and I must say the fastest at getting the multimedia up to speed of any I have tried so far. Everything is where it should be and sound is outstanding. I also got Exaile to work on it better than any other distro I have tried. I stay away from Ubuntu as it sucks up 99% of CPU just sitting there. Suse only uses between 8 and15% of my processor just sitting there with no apps open-big difference. Have fun all, I sure am!
Winnzlow1, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.

Good to see I’m not the only one still running an old computer. I’ve got a 1.8 gig processor with 1 gig of ram. It runs rather snappy still. This particular computer is 8 years old and still works like the day I bought it.

windows annoyed me a few weeks back which was the final straw; it’s been bugging me for a while.

i’ve never got on that well with ubuntu - it doesnt feel professional and from various peoples thoughts (myself included), it’s not what it used to be.
so thats how i found openSUSE. started on 11.2 and now onto 11.3. theres some annoying ‘features’ with various distros like multi-monitor settings for laptops but not specific to oSUSE.

Quick bum as I defrag my windows partition

Anyone run Wine + Steam on Suse? Hows it work? Those are the majority (almost all) the games I run and just wanna ensure they will work

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 03:36:01 +0000, Volanare wrote:

> Anyone run Wine + Steam on Suse? Hows it work? Those are the majority
> (almost all) the games I run and just wanna ensure they will work

I haven’t run steam, but I’ve run stand-alone Portal and HL2 and they’ve
worked fine here.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Volanare wrote:
> the games I run

if you are heavy into games you might want to consider keeping a game