WANTED: Fully featured Webpage-Editing-Suite!

Yep, you’ve been reading right. The question is: Which program is a complete suite and fully-featured for OpenSuse providing all of the capabilities of … let’s say Dreamweaver?
One thing ahead: I’m not planning to install Dreamweaver within WINE, but actually I want to use a fully featured, true linux program to do the same great job as Dreamweaver does.

ALL RECOMMENDATIONS ARE VERY WELCOME! :wink:

Quanta+ ? Quanta Plus Home

Interesting find. Quanta+ looks good so far. Let’s see… You’ve just earned a positive reputation. :slight_smile:
Oh and just to mention it before someone suggests it: Netbeans is not a solution ofr me at all. It simply sucks.

I use Quanta+, it’s great, but Quanta plus essentially requires you to type the raw x/html and css code in a text editor.

I’ve used Quanta + for a few years now, but there seems to be no attempt to port it over to KDE 4.x.:frowning:

You could also take a look at Bluefish Editor. It’s a Gnome/GTK app, but it gets the job done. If you want an actual WYSIWYG, then give KompoZer a try. I’ve never really used it, so I can’t say how well it compares to Dreamweaver.

I’m using KDE4 in openSUSE 11.2 and Quanta from the standard oss repo

I never said you couldn’t use Quanta in KDE 4, but rather it isn’t ported to use the KDE4 or Qt4 libraries. It still depends on KDE 3.5 and Qt3. Obviously this is no big deal since the alternatives use GTK, another non-native dependency.

Aptana Studio. A Jaguar to the Quanta+ tractor :slight_smile: Kompozer 0.8 looks promising too now that development has resumed.

I just finished uploading 24MB of text to my website. Entire site is built using Quanta Plus. It is running using KDE 4.3.1 no problem. Tried Komposer but it crashed right after opening each time with page fault error.

Anyone interested, my site is dedicated to the full gambit of resource information on PC’s. Covers Software packages I’ve developed, Basic PC theory, General and specific info on hardware, cables, troubleshooting, Windows resource section, Linux resource section, Making the switch from windows to Linux, Application comparisons, performance comparisons, install issues, programming and much more…
About Windows and Linux Applications

Thanks for the hint on Aptana Studio. It looks very promising, but unfortunately it isn’t in the repos… DARN.
Buddy, I’ve tested Kompozer and wasn’t satisfied at all. Kompozer lacks the natural handling of PHP, for example.

And here’s my honest opinion without wanting to insult on you: Your site looks terrible. It might be that the content is interesting for someone, but boy - I wouldn’t stay a second longer on that page. Your site is cluttered with too fast animations (text is not readable) and it’s layout comes across like an advertisement telling the visitor “buy this! buy that! and here…LOOK WHAT WE’VE GOT HERE: something else to buy!”. This might be due to bad design and those self-developed GIFs, tranferring a very cheap look and feel of the site to the user.

That’s just my two cents. Maybe you want to redesign your website making it more vistor friendly and I’ll take another look. Good luck. :wink:

Aptana Studio is basically just Eclipse + a plugin, and that’s in the repositories… although it’s older than the version bundled with aptana studio. (repositories are at Eclipse 3.4, Aptana Studio comes with Eclipse 3.5)

If you want to try it out I’d advice you to just grab the entire Aptana Studio download from their site and then run it from your homedirectory, nothing fancy required. Just unpack and click the icon and it will run.

There is currently a problem with Eclipse and buttons not responding, read up in the Beta section of the forum on how to fix that

Thanks. That’s throwing a positive reputation twoards you. :wink:

Have you looked at typo3? typo3.org: Download
Makes a very good impression and I hear excellent reports about it.

Unfortunately, it is also not (yet?) in the OpenSuse repositories. I have asked for it to be be put on the feature list (FATE).

:good:

Typo3 appears to be a content management system, not a webdev IDE.

Ok, did that and all looks good. I only have one issue with Aptana Studio; they create an unhidden directory called “Aptana Studio Workplace” in my home folder. I would prefer that it be a hidden directory, or failing that, a directory within Aptana’s actual working path. Worse still, I can’t figure out how to change this in the preferences dialog.

Other than that one issue, Aptana looks pretty sweet. Thanks to gminnerup and Axeia for turning us on to it.

Sorry to say so, but I do agree with Mask: the site is not drawing me in, it makes me want to leave a.s.a.p.

Mask: what do you want to achieve. I built quite some sites using Joomla, Drupal and Mambo. They have a lot of prebuilt modules that simply work. Keeps the coding to the real stuff.

For html editing I use Quanta.

It’s not a web editor but a contents management system, and like most opensource CMS it’s based on PHP scripts and OS-agnostic. You won’t see it in the repos in a hurry.
TYPO3 is also a very heavyweight CMS, good in its own way but way over the top for the casual and semi-pro user. If you want a CMS, you’re probably better off with something like Drupal, Joomla, or (my favourite) MODx.

Thanks, MODx looks promising - their website too. :wink: But why is such stuff not in some Repository? Would be much more comfortable…

You bet! Somehow it is “hard” to find an application that comes close to the look and feel of Dreamweaver after Years of using it…

MODx and most of the other CMS are essentially collections of PHP scripts running on top of a web server so there’s no need to have them in repos. You install Apache, MySql and PHP (and whatever else you may need) from the repo and then just install the CMS straight from the relevant website. What could be easier than that?
As to Dreamweaver and Aptana Studio, I actually prefer the latter to the former. Dreamweaver’s appeal to most is its “WYSIWYG” editing but that’s also its weakest point. As soon as you start using any complex CSS, Dreamweaver completely loses its bearings. The rest of its appeal is simply so-called “industry standards”: people get used to its templates, snippets, etc but all that is pretty much replicated by Aptana Studio. It is, in fact, possible to use Dreamweaver templates in Aptana, and even the Spry stuff such as menus. I can pretty seamlessly edit live Dreamweaver sites pulled from the server in Aptana, except that unlike in Dreamweaver itself, I can always reliably see what I’m doing…

CAVEAT: my most recent experience with Dreamweaver is CS3. It might have improved in CS4. But I can’t see the point in handing over another wodge of greenbacks to Adobe for something I can have for free.

The Mask[QUOTE] Originally Posted by techwiz03
Anyone interested, my site is dedicated to the full gambit of resource information on PC’s.

And here’s my honest opinion without wanting to insult on you: Your site looks terrible. It might be that the content is interesting for someone, but boy - I wouldn’t stay a second longer on that page. Your site is cluttered with too fast animations (text is not readable) and it’s layout comes across like an advertisement telling the visitor “buy this! buy that! and here…LOOK WHAT WE’VE GOT HERE: something else to buy!”. This might be due to bad design and those self-developed GIFs, tranferring a very cheap look and feel of the site to the user.

That’s just my two cents. Maybe you want to redesign your website making it more vistor friendly and I’ll take another look. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

OK, figured another way around creating the reference section menu without the frames (the original javascript required frames to work). While yes I do sell services to those who are local to me and don’t want to do the work themselves (mainly Windows people), my site is all about free one stop information. Point was I did it all using Quanta+ in Linux. New fully redesigned site is up now at All Tech Development

So if people want info, idea’s, and self help documentation you are welcome to visit.:wink:

Exactly. I´m amazed by the fact that Aptana is able to use and modify those commercial templates and snippets. Still I´d love to see Aptana Studio as complete package in the repsoitories. Seems like I´m getting too comfortable with those as this is a great possibility to always upgrade to the latest software with ease.

techwiz03, thanks for stating that you´ve designed you page with Quanta+, yet I don´t see the “new and fully redesigned”. The only thing that changed is the menu. That site is still cluttered as hell. And what makes your site look like an advertisement are those self-made GIFs. They do not look professional at all - at least your company logo should do.
Take a look at THIS EXAMPLE from your site. Look at it a minute and you´ll start making noises like a cow with BSE. Please stop using them, they just distract and creep off your visitors.