w7 convert needs a program recommendation

ok, so i’m converting from w7 and before doing so made up a list of functions i wanted to be capable of doing in opensuse. i have most of them complete but saved the ones that gave me some problems or simply perplexed me until last.

i managed to figure out ps3 media server, but still need to know how to automount my external usb drive upon boot.

i have my vnc needs met with x11vnc and no probs there.

but what i’m not sure how to do is to synchronize my files between my three computers as well as how to backup my files to an offsite file service (perhaps datastorageunit). i’ve considered just using dropbox, which from what i’ve read will backup to offsite ( i used mozy on w7) as well as sync my files across my lan (goodsync handled my syncing). however, i really dont want to pay $10/mo. for 50gb of storage with dropbox when datastorageunit is only $3/mo for 100gb. datastorage unit says that rsync can be used however, even with the gui (grsync) installed i still couldn’t make much head way. id rather not take the lazy/pricier way out with dropbox, but instead learn how to use grsync.

if anyone can help me or even recommend a better sync app that would be great.

thanks in advance.

Noremacyug wrote:
> still need to know how to automount my external usb drive upon boot.

-=welcome=- we love to see new faces here…

i’m pretty sure that is covered in dozens of previous threads here,
have you tried the forums advanced search, or even google?

try it with the site specified as forums.opensuse.org:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforums.opensuse.org+automount+USB+on+boot

> says that rsync can be used however, even with the gui (grsync)
> installed i still couldn’t make much head way. id rather not take the
> lazy/pricier way out with dropbox, but instead learn how to use grsync.

thanks for the tip on datastorageunit, i’ve not looked at it yet but
just wanna say there is little in life easier than rsync, just set it
up once and use it forever…

for the manual on rsync see
man rsync

or see: http://everythinglinux.org/rsync/
the server is set up at datastorageunit, so that is not a problem…

palladium

There is no difference here between what some people call ‘internal’ or ‘external’ disks. Your openSUSE can not ‘see’ if a disk is inside the box, or outside.

Mounts that are in* /etc/fstab* are mounted on boot (not automounted, that is something different).
Just make an entry in /etc/fstab like any other entry. See that the file system(s) on the device are labeled. Then use a dev/disk/by-label/… device file instead of a /dev/sd… one. Thus a consistent mounting can be garanteed.

Maybe you need to look for completely different solutions. Need some answers for that, though.

Are all three computers in your lan?

Maybe my own situation explains a bit more:
On my server all home directories for users are hosted, as well as other data.
These are exported on the LAN by NFS, the other computers mount the NFS shares, and see them as if they were local folders, incl. /home for all users.
User management is done through NIS.
This combo makes any PC available for any user to login, and always have hiser own desktop and files.

Don’t know what you want exactly, once again, completely new solutions might be at hand.

i’m fixing to try playing around with rsync and see what comes of that.

as for the external hdd:
upon booting of the system i can open up dolphin and see my external hdd in left hand column under “places.” when i click on it, i hear the drive spin up and then i see the contents. now for most purposes this is just fine. the issue i’m having is that until i do that initial click of the drive from the “places” column, PS3 media server cannot access the drive and removes the drive from my list of shared locations. once i click on the drive, then i must go and re-add the location in PS3 MS. after that PS3 MS is fine until a reboot, at which point i have to repeat the process.

i just need to know how to remedy that. be it adding a line to fstab or by some other means.

this is my fstab file:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-FUJITSU_MHZ2160BH_G2_K60HT9238D47-part3	swap	swap	defaults 0 0 
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-FUJITSU_MHZ2160BH_G2_K60HT9238D47-part1	/	ext4	acl,user_xattr 1 1 
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-FUJITSU_MHZ2160BH_G2_K60HT9238D47-part2	/home	ext4	acl,user_xattr 1 2 
proc	/proc	proc	defaults 0 0 
sysfs	/sys	sysfs	noauto 0 0 
debugfs	/sys/kernel/debug	debugfs	noauto 0 0 
usbfs	/proc/bus/usb	usbfs	noauto 0 0 
devpts	/dev/pts	devpts	mode=0620,gid=5 0 0 
192.168.2.3:/home/cobbs	/home/cobbs/NFS\040(Netbook)	nfs	defaults 0 0

Did some googling last night and got the USB drive taken care of. It’s now mounting on startup just fine.

Looked more into rsync and don’t think it’ll work very well for keeping all three computers in sync as it doesn’t look to do any two way syncing. I may try unison or even see if I can get goodsync to run in wine.

Noremacyug wrote:
> Looked more into rsync and don’t think it’ll work very well for keeping
> all three computers in sync as it doesn’t look to do any two way
> syncing.

what do you mean by “two way syncing” when talking about three local
machines and one off site spot that can’t be done with a script driven
rsync scheme?

> I may try unison or even see if I can get goodsync to run in
> wine.

YIKES, do you plan to only use it to move Redmond files to/from
Redmond file systems?

because if you move a linux file with something which ignores the
file’s properties…well, when you move’em back they won’t be exactly
the same files anymore, or ever again…(unless M$ suddenly started
paying attention to things like that…and, i missed it…i know
they didn’t care what happened to all other system’s files it touched
when they were busy murdering OS/2…)

palladium

By 2 way syncing I mean that:
say I have computer A, B, and C. Computer A has file 1 created on it, computer B has file 2 and file 3 created on it and lastly computer C has file 4 created on it. After a sync all three computers should have files 1,2,3 and 4 on them. Then if a file is updated on any of the computers or deleted if will be reflected on all three computers.

Rsync only does one way syncing. So that computer A has file 1 and computer B has file 2. After the sync computer A would still have file 1 but computer B would have files 1 and 2 of coarse unless some of rsyncs options were envoked that might cause file 2 to be deleted.

Perhaps a script could be used to create that end result, but I know nothing of scripting and stand no chance of figuring that out.

Noremacyug wrote:

>
> Perhaps a script could be used to create that end result, but I know
> nothing of scripting and stand no chance of figuring that out.
>
Maybe you want to look at the gui’s for rsync

grsync
gadmin-rsync

I do not use them so I cannot say more about them. These are available for
opensuse.

I also found a java based program in the repos
DirSyncPro
(I never heard about it but maybe it will fit your needs)

I’m already using grsync. Still looks to be a one way sync. There are some options that can be turned on. But none I’m aware of that will accomplish two way syncs.

I’ve also seen DirSyncPro but have yet to try it. I might have a look at it tonight.

What you want is called a file server. Instead of trying to keep three sets of data in sync use one set of data and share it to all machines. What you are trying to do will slowly drive you mad.
example
Data set A B C which you want to be always the same

A changes syncs happens and B and C are now in sync

A and B change can no longer sync C. Is A or B the right one?

A B C change now which one is the proper data set?

If you have more then 2 clone data sets you can not keep them in sync.

You can do merges but that requires detailed knowledge of the file structure and some sort of centralized journal and some fancy programming.

The above really gets complicated if more then one person is changing the data.

perhaps with linux i may have to go your route. but whilst on windows i had no issues with accomplishing this via goodsync. it did it all without flaw.

i just looked at dirsync pro and its closer as it does 2 way syncing, but thus far i see no way to configure it to propagate deletions as part of the syncing.

getting closer, but still no where near goodsync.

Check out Synkron at Sourceforge, it seems to do what you want.

You are my new favorite person! I remember seeing this program long ago (pretty sure I was searching for a windows solution then .) anyhow, I haven’t really fooled with it yet. I just vnc’ed into my desktop from bed via my iPhone to install it quickly and have a peek at it before I nod off. I saw wonderous things like “propogate deletions” and “multisync.”. I’m really hoping we have a winner here. I can’t remember why I didn’t stick with it long ago, which mildly worries me. Either way, I’ll report back after I’ve officially messed with it.

hint: stop thinking “so last century”: and put the master copy of all
you want updated and synced in the cloud, and let whoever you want to,
be allowed to access and change them (locally OR in the cloud) and
auto-upload the changes…

then, wherever you (or they) are in the universe you can access the
most up to date data…

palladium

that would prolly work just fine if i had something faster than 6mb dsl.

well, synkron would do the trick if i could just get it to sync over a samba network. it works fine in tests between home directory and test directory on external hdd.

does anyone know how to get conduit to run in kde? it looks promising as well, but for the love of me won’t run on any of my computers. i thought gnome apps would run in kde and vice versa.