Vostro 1400 and Opensuse

Hi All,

I have recently installed opensuse 10.2 version on my laptop Vostro 1400. The configuration of my laptop is given below:

Vostro 1400 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5270 (1.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
LCD Panel 14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLife™
Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
Video Cards 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS
Hard Drive 120GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
Integrated NIC and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader
Optical Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability
Sound Card Integrated High Definition Audio
Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini Card
Camera No Camera
Productivity Software Microsoft® Works 8.5 Does NOT Include MS Word
MediaDirect Dell Exclusive MediaDirect™ Instant Play Software Application
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-Install) McAfee SecurityCenter 30-day Subscription
Primary Battery 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Limited Warranty, Services and Support 1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty with Mail-in Service
Installation Services No Onsite System Setup
Dell DataSafe Online Data Backup 10GB for 1 Year Online Data Backup by Dell DataSafe
Automated PC Tuneup 1 Year Dell Automated PC Tuneup and Dell Network Assistant
Media No Media Software
Bluetooth Options Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
Purchase Intent Purchase is not intended for resale.
Processor Branding Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

First of all please let me know that my laptop’s configuration is ok to install opensuse or not? and The drives required by hardware is available on internet or not?

If yes, Then Please answer following questions:

I have installed 64 bit opensuse 10.2 version. I have some queries regarding this.

(1) I am not able to connect to internet using wired connection. I have created one Ethernet configuration under Network cards named eth0 but I think its not able to detect my network card or may be i am missing the right Driver.

Please provide me the links from where I can get suitable drivers for my hardware devices. I am new to Linux platform , have just started but start was bit slow and disappointing due to these problems. I am hoping for some good and useful suggestions by Exerts on this forum. Thanks allot.

Regards,
Pawan Chopra.

Why 10.2
You would do much better with 11.0

HCL/Laptops/Dell - openSUSE

If necessary, this might help, but you should find it will be ok
Additional YaST Package Repositories - openSUSE

Thanks for the suggestions! But Does opensuse 11.0 is ok with my configuration and Can you please let me know where can I find driver formy network ethernet card? Beacause as I had mentioned I am not able to run my internet. Thanks

Well, none of the software you quote in the spec will work under Linux (… at least not without something like cross over office, or virtual software).

I don’t understand this question.

Still, as caf4926 noted, you are better off installing openSUSE-11.0 (In openSUSE-11.0, select the KDE3 or Gnome desktop, not KDE4). openSUSE-10.2 is no longer supported.

This should “just work”. The easiest way to configure a wired driver is to go to YAST > Network > Network Devices and configure your wired device (if necessary). But as I noted, this should “just work”.

Getting wireless to function could be trickier. You note a “Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini Card”, which according to linlap Dell Vostro 1400 - Linux Laptop WikiSome models also come with the Dell 1390 wireless controller which is basically a rebadged Broadcom controller. This will likely need ndiswrapper to function”. The openSUSE HCL page (as suggested by caf4926) notes for the Vostrol 1400 wireless networking via "ndiswrapper & Broadcom driver bcmwl5 or by installing the package “bcm43xx-fwcutter” & running “install_bcm43xx_firmware”

Typically drivers will come with the Linux distribution. Which is another reason why openSUSE-11.0 is better than 10.2 for you, as significant improvements have been made since 10.2 for adding repositories with drivers, and for updating one’s software. As a newbie, you are working with “one hand tied behind your back” when trying to use 10.2 vs 11.0.

I recommend you brush up on some basic openSUSE Linux concepts:
Concepts - openSUSE

Welcome to our forum.

Thanks allot , I will surely go for opensuse 11.0 thanks for the suggestions!!!