VNC clients get black screen on connection

Hello,

I set up VNC service on my newly-installed Leap 15.1 box, using YaST. It’s set for “Allow Remote Administration Without Session Management” and “Open Port in Firewall”. From a client, including trying from localhost, I’m able to open a VNC connection, but the window stays black. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Usually it happens because your DE requires graphic acceleration and it is not supported by VNC. At the very least you need to describe your desktop environment.

I’m at a university, so the desktop environment is varied. For the testing that I’ve done so far, I’ve tried connecting from Mac (iTeleport), Windows (VNC Viewer/RealVNC), and Linux (vncviewer command line). Those same clients are able to connect to some other Linux VNC servers here, including an older SUSE 11.x server.

The two servers that I can’t get it to connect to are both OpenSUSE Leap 15. One is a desktop system in my office, running Leap 15.1. The other is a Leap 15.0 server down the hall. They both show a black VNC viewer screen when I connect from anywhere, even if it’s on the local console:
~> vncviewer localhost:1

TigerVNC Viewer 64-bit v1.8.0
Copyright (C) 1999-2017 TigerVNC Team and many others (see README.txt)
See http://www.tigervnc.org for information on TigerVNC.

Tue Aug 20 08:26:24 2019
DecodeManager: Detected 48 CPU core(s)
DecodeManager: Creating 4 decoder thread(s)
CConn: connected to host localhost port 5901
CConnection: Server supports RFB protocol version 3.8
CConnection: Using RFB protocol version 3.8

Tue Aug 20 08:26:25 2019
CConnection: Choosing security type VeNCrypt(19)
CVeNCrypt: Choosing security type X509None (260)

Tue Aug 20 08:26:29 2019
CConn: Using pixel format depth 24 (32bpp) little-endian rgb888
CConn: Using Tight encoding
CConn: Enabling continuous updates

Thanks for any assistance.

I had the same problem with vncserver on an openSUSE Leap 15.1 installation and had to change the display manager on the machine from SDDM to XDM.
See post from Fraser_Bell in https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/532320-vncserver-blank-screen