Vmware view client or something similar?

Hello all!

For school, I occasionally have to connect to a VMWare remote desktop hosted at the school with VMWare View Client. I’ve been looking around for an OpenSUSE version of it, but haven’t had much luck. It’s not on the VMWare site, so I guess they obviously don’t support it. But, I’m wondering if there is another source for it, or if there is an alternative application that will let me connect to VMWare virtual machines remotely?

I tried Remmina but wasn’t able to get it working. Could just be that I was using the wrong settings.

Thanks for anything!

Please wait till moved to the VM forum.

Thank You,

openSUSE users are more likely to use VirtualBox as their VM you can find here: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/virtualization/491521-oracle-releases-virtualbox-version-4-3-a.html

For remote communications, I have a blog on the subject here: How To Use VNC/Remmina to Remote Control an openSUSE 12.3 KDE Desktop - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Hi
There is a Horizon View Client for Linux here?
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_horizon_view_clients/2_0

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, thier site says its a linux install, and shows it as a .gz file but unfortunatley its only a link for installing it in ubuntu through the software center. Even then the link doesn’t actually work, and you have to add a different repository to be able to download it using apt-get, which I have done in Ubuntu. The Ubuntu client works well, but, I prefer to use OpenSUSE.

That being said, if there’s a way to just…I dont know, move the ubuntu version of it to my OpenSUSE installation, I’m up for that too.

On Thu 31 Oct 2013 01:26:03 AM CDT, oapeter wrote:

malcolmlewis;2594571 Wrote:
> Hi
> There is a Horizon View Client for Linux here?
> http://tinyurl.com/cqhc2oq

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, thier site says its a linux install, and shows it as a .gz file but
unfortunatley its only a link for installing it in ubuntu through the
software center. Even then the link doesn’t actually work, and you have
to add a different repository to be able to download it using apt-get,
which I have done in Ubuntu. The Ubuntu client works well, but, I prefer
to use OpenSUSE.

That being said, if there’s a way to just…I dont know, move the
ubuntu version of it to my OpenSUSE installation, I’m up for that too.

Hi
You could try moving the files, do you know what they are named and
where?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 11 SP3 (x86_64) GNOME 2.28.0 Kernel 3.0.93-0.8-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

On 2013-10-31 02:26, oapeter wrote:

> That being said, if there’s a way to just…I dont know, move the
> ubuntu version of it to my OpenSUSE installation, I’m up for that too.

Is it something Ubuntu created, or compiled from somewhere, or is it a
direct download from vmware or another site?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

I have got a RPM version.How should I upload it here.Shall I upload it to ftp site and paste the link here.

Hi
If you right-click the rpm and open with a file archiver, then check the License file, can you re-distribute the rpm?

Hello again!

I installed VMWare in ubuntu by adding a repository and then using apt-get, so I don’t know where the files were put and what thier names are. But, so far I’ve found some files in /usr/share and usr/bin when searching for vmware. There are a few folder related to it in /usr/share. Most of the icon files are there. I’ll have to have a harder look a bit later.

Download the package to the local directory in ubuntu and use alien to convert the package.It has worked for me.

Cool. How do I go about downloading from a repository to a specific location, though?

You can download the .deb version from here.

UbuntuUpdates - Package “vmware-view-client” (precise 12.04) and you can use alien to convert it to rpm.

Came across this
Creating a VMware View Live CD with SUSE Studio | MindFlux Inc.

Describes how to extract deb and with SUSE Studio create an openSUSE LiveCD with the VMware VDI Horizon client.

HTH,
TSU

Hey Guys!

Thanks a lot for the replies. I tried downloading the .deb package and converting it with alien. The package converted and I installed it, but I haven’t been able to boot into OpenSUSE Since. So, that didn’t work out for my particular setup. Maybe it does for others. It could have been something I did incorrectly. The issue appears to be that the network manager won’t load at boot, along with a few other things.

I can’t copy and paste obviously, but this is what appears at boot:

[FAILED] Failed to start Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service
See 'systemctl status NetworkManager-dispatcher.service' for details
[FAILED] Failed to start Modem Manager
[FAILED] Failed to start LSB: X Display Manager
See 'systemctl status xdm.service' for details
[FAILED] Failed to start Network Manager
See 'systemctl status NetworkManager.service' for details
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online
[OK] Reached target Login Prompts

Unfortunatley I’m not familiar enough with OpenSUSE to fix this without just doing a reinstall.

If I need to, I’ll just use Ubuntu or Windows 7 to access my virtual machine, once I get OpenSUSE fixed.

Thanks anyway though!

Actually converting .deb to rpm using alien has worked for me But I don’t understand what went wrong with you.If you are able to get the GUI mode try restarting the networkmanager-dispatcher service and then restart.

Hi!

Sure, I’ll give that a try. I’m not sure what went wrong either, other than that I included --scripts as a parameter when using alien.

There are only 12 days until 13.1, so If I can’t get it fixed by then I’ll just do a fresh install of 13.1.

Thanks!

any comments on 13.1 64-bit with steps from here -> http://vavai.com/2013/10/29/instalasi-vmware-horizon-view-client-pada-linux-opensuse-12-3/