virt-install vs. vm-install

I’d like to know what is the difference between virt-install and vm-install. (I’m a noob and it shows :))
Recently I tried to setup a virtual machine to test the kde neon 5 iso. Using vm-install I was told that no boot sector was found on the iso.
I tried virt-install and all went well.

I’d like to add that after my initial installation of kvm nothing worked. There was no kvm group to add my user name, libvirtd refused to run.
Going through the forum there was a link to the virtualization repo; Index of /repositories/Virtualization:/openSUSE13.1/openSUSE_13.1 which I enabled, after removing the (OBS…/home/aaesev) repo.
I uninstalled kvm and reinstalled the packages from the virtualization repo and was able to have kvm running, and added my user to both the kvm group and libvirt.

Using Opensuse 13.1 KDE.

…thanks

There are a number of minor to more than minor differences as you’ve discovered.
I for one found in the past that if you point to a non-default storage pool that vm-install did not work in 12.3 (Haven’t tested to see if still the same in later distros).

So, am glad that both have been retained.

Glad to hear that you found resolution for your KVM issue. I’m working primarily with an upgrade so haven’t seen that type of problem but may get a chance to explore a 13.1 “new install” soon so may be able to check for that issue.

When you install a brand new install, before anything else you should always do a “zipper up” to get all updates released since the base launch, did you do that before looking for solutions to your KVM issue? (or for that matter would apply to anything else as well).

TSU

No I did not do zypper up. My usual workflow after a new install is to setup yast for online updates, and allow vendor change. Then I accept the updates suggested by apper.
In the future I’ll include zypper up in my workflow.

Thanks…

On 2013-12-08 17:26, imabe wrote:
>
> No I did not do zypper up. My usual workflow after a new install is to
> setup yast for online updates, and allow vendor change. Then I accept
> the updates suggested by apper.
> In the future I’ll include zypper up in my workflow.

No, your method is fine, too :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)