Videos on cbs.com won't play in Leap regardless of.....

the browser used, and I have installed all that are available.
They say to use Chrome or Firefox.
Nope! won’t play and the versions of Chrome and Firefox are latest versions of both compared to what is installed in windows.

I have changed user agent strings in all of them with no luck. Even change them to the user agent strings in the windows versions of Chrome and Firefox.

Oddly enough, the spam videos prior to the actual program video play fine on some browsers, and not at all on others.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong, or additions that may help?

I just went to the “www.cbsnew.com” site. The first video that I noticed was about the Ukrainian airline crash. The second was “Storms threatening millions in the South.”

Both of those played without any problems.

Your issue likely has to do with codecs, etc.

Here’s some output:

# zypper se libav | grep ^i
i  | gstreamer-plugins-libav                 | A ffmpeg/libav plugin for GStreamer                                   | package   
i  | libavahi-client3                        | D-BUS Service for Zeroconf and Bonjour                                | package   
i  | libavahi-client3-32bit                  | D-BUS Service for Zeroconf and Bonjour                                | package   
i  | libavahi-common3                        | D-BUS Service for Zeroconf and Bonjour                                | package   
i  | libavahi-common3-32bit                  | D-BUS Service for Zeroconf and Bonjour                                | package   
i  | libavahi-core7                          | D-BUS Service for Zeroconf and Bonjour                                | package   
i  | libavahi-glib1                          | Glib Bindings for avahi, the D-BUS Service for Zeroconf and Bonjour   | package   
i  | libavahi-gobject0                       | D-BUS Service for Zeroconf and Bonjour                                | package   
i  | libavahi-ui-gtk3-0                      | D-BUS Service for Zeroconf and Bonjour                                | package   
i  | libavc1394-0                            | Programming Interface to the AV/C Specification                       | package   
i  | libavcodec56                            | FFmpeg codec library                                                  | package   
i  | libavcodec57                            | FFmpeg codec library                                                  | package   
i  | libavcodec58                            | FFmpeg codec library                                                  | package   
i+ | libavdevice56                           | FFmpeg device library                                                 | package   
i  | libavdevice57                           | FFmpeg device library                                                 | package   
i+ | libavdevice58                           | FFmpeg device library                                                 | package   
i  | libavfilter5                            | FFmpeg audio and video filtering library                              | package   
i  | libavfilter6                            | FFmpeg audio and video filtering library                              | package   
i  | libavfilter7                            | FFmpeg audio and video filtering library                              | package   
i  | libavformat56                           | FFmpeg's stream format library                                        | package   
i  | libavformat57                           | FFmpeg's stream format library                                        | package   
i  | libavformat58                           | FFmpeg's stream format library                                        | package   
i  | libavresample2                          | FFmpeg alternate audio resampling library                             | package   
i  | libavresample3                          | FFmpeg alternate audio resampling library                             | package   
i  | libavresample4                          | FFmpeg alternate audio resampling library                             | package   
i  | libavutil54                             | FFmpeg's utility library                                              | package   
i  | libavutil55                             | FFmpeg's utility library                                              | package   
i  | libavutil56                             | FFmpeg's utility library                                              | package

That should give a partial indication of what I have installed.

I also tried a few there.

After I had allowed an awfull lot of scripting from an awfull lot of sites (I use NoScript) and after I had to configure my cookie policy with the site (switching off all that can be switched off), I had no problem with playing several of those news item.

I never installed extra codecs or did any of the confusing recommendations that you wil find around, but only one thing: SWITCH VENDOR TO PACKMAN.

Whenever you have any multi-media problem (btw, why is this thread not in the Multimedia sub-forum?) the first thing to do is repeating that switch, so that you can in all honesty explain that it is 1000% true you did the switch when you ask for help.

I have an alternative firefox profile, where I don’t use “noscript”. And I tested with that. I did use private browsing mode for the test, so that it would delete cookies after the testing.

I only wanted to paint what I did so there is no misunderstanding that blocking (some) scripts and/or cookies might be the origin of the problem.

All cookies (some exceptions) are stored as session cookie, thus will vanish every time I close Firefox.

@ nrickert, I will look at that list on my machines(all three exhibit the same thing)
@hcvv I don’t know what SWITCH VENDOR TO PACKMAN means.

i go to cbs.com, scroll past the upper program splashes, select one of the videos just below them.
i pick one of the ncis’s, the ad plays, then I get a message that my browser is not supported.
As I said, I have tried Firefox, opera, chrome, chromium. Nada!

http://paste.opensuse.org/92222495

Am I suppose to go through the error list and get all of the conflicts taken care of?

BTW, I put this in ‘applications’ because to me it is about applications(ie; browsers), and not just multimedia in general.
I have no problems in Facebook watch, Vimeo, YouTube, etc.

@nrickert & @hcvv, I can watch any video I want in ‘cbsnews.com’.

But I can’t in the ‘cbs.com’ where programs can be watched.

There’s an alternative. You can use:

zypper dup --from "packman" --allow-vendor-change

Replace “packman” with the appropriate name of your packman repo. That should avoid the vendor-change conflict messages. There might still be other conflicts, but there should be very few.

@nrickert & @hcvv, I can watch any video I want in ‘cbsnews.com’.

But I can’t in the ‘cbs.com’ where programs can be watched.

Okay. So I tried to play a Hawaii Five O video at CBS.com, and it told me to try a different browser. And that was after I went into firefox settings and enabled the DRM support.

I also tried Vivaldi, and that had the same problem. But maybe it tries signing up for the site, which I am not willing to do.

OK, I’ll give that a try, but from the rest of your post below, probably not necessary for this problem.

I won’t do a signup either.
I don’t have to signup in Win7 and the the version of Chrome I use in Leap is virtually the same as I use in Win7 and the videos play well in Win7 with Chrome, Opera, Firefox, and MS’s Edge,all are chromium browser except Firefox.
But, it is good to know that I am not the only one that can’t play them in Leap. Darn, I don’t want to start Windows just for that.

Could it be the problem is Linux in the UA string? Looks like it would play in SeaMonkey 2.49.5 if CBS was providing its own ads instead of getting them from some ad spammer. I used this one “Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0” to reach this point:
https://susepaste.org/view/raw/4334587

I did not block scripts or ads. The advertisement played. But it would not play the video after the ad.

The CBS Help page lists Windows 7, Windows 10, and Mac OS X version 10.6 or higher
as the only supported systems.

On Android phones the CBS shows will not play in Chrome.
When you try to launch a CBS show in Chrome it tells you to download
the standalone CBS App to play the shows.

I have a CBS All Access account. It does not matter on Linux.
Logged in to CBS or not, the CBS show videos will not play.

I use Chrome version 79.0.3945.117 on Linux and Windows 10.

All CBS functions work fine on Windows 10, but not on Linux
(openSUSE 15.1)

I have NO problems watching shows in Chrome for Linux on ABC,
NBC, CW, SyFy web sites. This appears to be CBS specifically
blocking Linux.

Regards,

Hmm… FYI.

I have an Amazon Prime account.
If I start Chrome on Linux and logon to my Prime account then
I can watch all the CBS shows thru the Prime web site.
A CBS All Access account IS still required to watch thru Prime.

If I go directly to CBS.COM in Chrome and login to my CBS account,
the CBS shows will NOT play.

If I got directly to Amazon Prime Video in Chrome, ALL of the CBS shows
are listed on Prime and WILL play.

In conclusion, yes it seems that CBS.COM is directly blocking Linux playback.

Regards

Verified via a phone call to there ‘help and support’ line. I was told Linux was taken out of there ‘approved’ platforms about 8 months ago.
I was able to watch the programs at cbs.com in 2018 & early 2019, then it stopped allowing them in Linux.

I despise these places that want to handcuff users to MS or Apple!
Time to find other entertainment I guess.

BTW, regardless of their so called platform support, I can watch them in WinXP.

I assume from the postings in this thread that it’s an issue but nothing to get too excited about since it should be easily addressable…
Just install a UA(User Agent) plugin or extension in the web browser you’re using, set it to a MSWindows or MacOS string and then everything should work fine…
Your browser will now look like it’s from that other OS you’ve configured to the Server you’re connecting to…
This is also a common “must do” when building Websites and you want to verify Users on “those other” systems can see your website properly.

TSU

I tried a couple of User Agent Switcher extensions for Chrome.
They didn’t help.

Other folks may have success. If so, please post the name of the User Agent
extension that succeeded here.

Regards

An extension was not needed in SeaMonkey. Whether in current Firefox maybe this has changed. In about:config I did:
added name general.useragent.override.cbs.com
added Windows UA string Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0