Video card problems (?)

Hi,

I installed the latest and greatest (Suse 11.0, network install, after booting from LiveCD) on my new system. My installation has some serious issues. As a result my latest and greatest (11.0) does not work as I came to expect it (9.3 on my old box).

In this post I would like to take a stab at the problem I think is caused by my video card. When I scroll down (in a HTML page, or a jpeg) the bottom of the screen displays only stripes. It is as if the part of screen that should be displayed is not refreshed, but keeps the bottom line of the browser. So I get stripes instead of text, or jpeg. :\

When the system is busy I get a balloon that bounces up and down. This balloon is not a nice circle/oval. It’s border is, …, stripy. :expressionless:

When I need to enter my password, the characters I type are hidden by black dots. These black dots have a ragged border when they appear. A bit later I have nicely rounded full black dots. :frowning:

And lastly, viewing images with Gwenview results in a crashing Konqueror. >:(

Background:

• AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual (with video is integrated);
  • Video: ATI Radeon X1200 Series;

Anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Abel

Tell us if you are using gnome or kde
and are you using desktop effects?

also in terminal

zypper lr

and post results

I use KDE. And as I do not know what you mean with desktop effects, I probably not use them.

Will report results of zypper lr

Desktop Effects are in the Configure Desktop application (System Settings) under Desktop, for turning on the effects if using the KDE kwin window manager. Also look in Configure Desktop under the Advanced tab, Default Applications, Window Manager - be sure it’s set to kwin there.

I also suggest that you post back the output of doing this in a terminal window:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

That will tell us the graphics driver you are using. You have an ATI graphics device. You probably need to install the ATI proprietary driver that matches your 11.0 kernel. Easy to do, once the above is done.