very basic question

These are probably very basic questions from a total noob… so please accept my apologies in advance…

I’ve been using SuSE Linux (and now OpenSUSE) for quite a long time, but just as a power user. I have OpenSUSE 10.2 installed on a ThinkPad, but also PCLinux2007 on an old PC at home (it came w a magazine); both are running KDE.

Questions:

1. On the SUSE desktop, I only need a single click to launch an app; PCLinux requires 2 (ala Windows). Where can I configure this?
  2. The package manager for PCLinux (synaptic I think it’s called) will let me know what do I have installed, and what’s available. For example, if I have OpenOffice 2.0 installed, it will let me know that there’s a newer version, specifically “made” for PCLinux, and downloadable from a PCLinux exclusive repository. When I try the same thing w OpenSUSE, even by registering the Packman source for 10.2, it will not find a newer version of OpenOffice, so I have to manually go the OpenOffice web site, and download a “generic” newer version of OO for Linux. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for bearing with me, and thanks for your comments.

1. Single click to open an app, this is a setting in the mouse and keyboard settings.
  2. In Y@st > Software > Software Repositories click add > select community repositories > next then add the openoffice repos. Then goto Y@st > Software managment search openoffice then in the bottom right pane were it gives description select versions tab and select the version you want.
  1. It’s under either Control Center for KDE 3.x or Configure Desktop for KDE 4.x.
    For KDE 4.x It’s under Keyboard & Mouse > Mouse. I’ve been using KDE 4.x for sometime now and not too sure of it’s location in KDE 3.x, but it is under Control Center (or in terminal type kcontrol) and find Mouse settings there.

2. YAST will show you what’s installed and what available. I usually open up YAST, Software Manager, change the filter to Package Groups, choose ‘All Packages’ (at the bottom) and then on the list on the right side, right-click > All Packages > Update if new version available. You can then sort the list of whats updateable by clicking the ‘blank’ column before the ‘Package’ column and all ‘to-be-updated’ packages are at the top. You can always choose not to update what you don’t want to.

As for openOffice, go to Additional YaST Package Repositories - openSUSE and find the BuildService OpenOffice Repos.

BTW - You’ll love openSUSE 11.0. You can choose most of these repos in YAST Package Manager.

Also, you might want to look into what the commandline utilities zypper and rpm can do for you as to finding what’s installed and what’s available. Yes, GUI is nice, but CLI is quicker!

Happy SUSEing!:smiley:

Thank you VERY MUCH!!!

Thank you VERY MUCH!!!

Just one more question: the on-line update feature, the one that displays a red icon / applet on the task-bar – I assume it’s just for security fixes / pathes, and not for applications? With which repositories does it check the availability of updates? and how do I turn it off?

In my expreience yes mostly security updates but also some are not security some are recommended like once there was a font update.
When you do see updates available check the details opensuseUpdater will tell you.
Welcome to Opensuse & its forum!

rrpalma,

>
> Thank you VERY MUCH!!!
>
> Just one more question: the on-line update feature, the one that
> displays a red icon / applet on the task-bar – I assume it’s just for
> security fixes / pathes, and not for applications?

I believe that it checks updates for apps too.
> With which repositories does it check the availability of updates?

AFICT it checks with all the enabled repositories you have in your system.

> and how do I turn it off?

The PackageKit Update Applet is automatically started when your session
starts. You can find the programs that started automatically in the Startup
Programs list in Gnome Control Center|Sessions in KDE I think it’s in
AutoStart.

Niclas Ekstedt, CNA/CNE/CNS/CLS
Systems Engineer/NSC Sysop
Telindus Sweden AB

I use almost always, nVidia video cards. When I do a fresh install for a desktop system, I go with the default packages (with KDE always). Then on booting into the system (off a full reboot, not right after install) I enable the repos like nVidia and others, then go through the full updates till there is no more. Then run through the ‘sax2 -r’ to setup video and nVidia drivers are there from the updates.

So yes; they definitely pull from more than just the updates repo, but not fully. There will still be newer packages in other repos, but not sure what the limits are of the SUSE Updater are. Anyone?