Using Remote Access

I have a computer I’ll call Laptop, connected to a Netgear router, connected to a cable modem, connected to the internet.
I have another computer I’ll call Desktop, connected to an Asus router, connected to a DSL modem, connected to the internet.
Both computers are running openSUSE 12.3 and using KDE.
I have krdc available on Desktop and krfb available on Laptop.
I want to control Laptop from Desktop. I can set up an invitation on Laptop but, because it’s behind a router, it shows the address as 192.168.nn.nn. Obviously, Desktop cannot find that address. If I use the actual address of the router, 24.24.24.24 (not the real address) and the port number, I still get no connection.

My intention is to help a friend with his system. He’s not comfortable with removing his computer from the router and creating a direct connection. I need to go through his router. So, how can I get this to work?

Bart

On Sun 11 Aug 2013 03:56:01 AM CDT, montana suse user wrote:

I have a computer I’ll call Laptop, connected to a Netgear router,
connected to a cable modem, connected to the internet.
I have another computer I’ll call Desktop, connected to an Asus router,
connected to a DSL modem, connected to the internet.
Both computers are running openSUSE 12.3 and using KDE.
I have krdc available on Desktop and krfb available on Laptop.
I want to control Laptop from Desktop. I can set up an invitation on
Laptop but, because it’s behind a router, it shows the address as
192.168.nn.nn. Obviously, Desktop cannot find that address. If I use
the actual address of the router, 24.24.24.24 (not the real address) and
the port number, I still get no connection.

My intention is to help a friend with his system. He’s not comfortable
with removing his computer from the router and creating a direct
connection. I need to go through his router. So, how can I get this to
work?

Bart

Hi
Grab and install teamviewer on both systems…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
up 16:48, 3 users, load average: 0.23, 0.25, 0.27
CPU AMD E2-1800@1.70GHz | GPU Radeon HD 7340

Teamviewer is pretty neat in that it makes it easy to get through firewalls/routers. But when I played with it a couple of years back, I noted its screen presentation was not as good as nx nor vnc.

The way I access my PCs at home, through my router, is I assign specific port in my router, to each PC. For example I will assign my router’s

• port 60001 to port-22 on my Core-i7 PC,
  • port 60002 to port-22 on my Sandbox PC, and
  • port 60003 to port-22 on my Wife’s desktop PC

For additional security I pipe my vnc connections through ssh. And then to take over the desktop of my Core-i7 from outside my apartment (and hence outside my LAN), I simply connect to port-60001 on my router. That is then immediately sent to port-22 on my Core-i7, and I connect per normal.

If instead I wished to take over my wife’s desktop, I would simply connect to port-60003 on my router. That is then immediately sent to port-22 on my wife’s desktop PC, and I connect per normal.

The port #s I gave above are examples (and not the actual numbers).

Just exactly what I wanted! The download went smoothly, the installation was without problems, it’s quite easy to use, does what I want, setting the view mode to use high quality made the screens look very good while speed was still very acceptable. Their license agreement was quite acceptable, and the price of the software was certainly within my budget!

Old CPU, I like your system for your situation. I can’t imagine trying to get my friend to change the setting in his router with me being far away! I’m going to archive your suggestion for possible future use though. Thanks!

Bart