Running Linuxmint 13 I didn’t have an issues with usb storage devices.
Updated to O.S. 12.3 and had to start trying all of my usb ports until it would mount. It never seemed to be the same port that would work.
Now… USB storage doesn’t work at all. I have 5 USB drives ranging from 2GB to 32GB and a usb HD. None of them auto mount but keyboards, sound ,and mouse are fine?
dmesg output below:
[88365.426767] usb 2-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 10 using ehci_hcd
[88365.524032] usb 2-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=0930, idProduct=6544
[88365.524035] usb 2-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[88365.524036] usb 2-1.5: Product: DataTraveler 2.0
[88365.524037] usb 2-1.5: Manufacturer: Kingston
[88365.524038] usb 2-1.5: SerialNumber: 001CC0EC3509C021A6B106BF
[88365.524609] scsi22 : usb-storage 2-1.5:1.0
[88366.526585] scsi 22:0:0:0: Direct-Access Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[88366.526816] sd 22:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg8 type 0
[88366.527754] sd 22:0:0:0: [sdi] 3913664 512-byte logical blocks: (2.00 GB/1.86 GiB)
[88366.528268] sd 22:0:0:0: [sdi] Write Protect is off
[88366.528273] sd 22:0:0:0: [sdi] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
[88366.528793] sd 22:0:0:0: [sdi] No Caching mode page present
[88366.528798] sd 22:0:0:0: [sdi] Assuming drive cache: write through
[88366.532527] sd 22:0:0:0: [sdi] No Caching mode page present
[88366.532529] sd 22:0:0:0: [sdi] Assuming drive cache: write through
[88366.533130] sdi: sdi1 sdi2
[88366.536021] sd 22:0:0:0: [sdi] No Caching mode page present
[88366.536023] sd 22:0:0:0: [sdi] Assuming drive cache: write through
[88366.536025] sd 22:0:0:0: [sdi] Attached SCSI removable disk
Disk /dev/sdi: 2003 MB, 2003795968 bytes
64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 1910 cylinders, total 3913664 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x2cadafd3
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdi1 280 8471 4096 ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
/dev/sdi2 * 8472 493567 242548 17 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 11b0:6118 ATECH FLASH TECHNOLOGY
Bus 002 Device 010: ID 0930:6544 Toshiba Corp. Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 Stick (2GB)
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 046d:c31c Logitech, Inc. Keyboard K120 for Business
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 046d:c05a Logitech, Inc. M90/M100 Optical Mouse
In KDE4, the device notifier tells me about a USB, but does not mount it (though this is configurable). In Gnome, it is auto-mounted.
That looks like an install DVD iso written to a USB. The KDE device notifier does not tell me about those, though I can manually mount as root. I have not checked whether I can mount with Dolphin (file manager for KDE). It does tell me about data USBs and about a live iso written to USB.
Not sure why but now I only have one that won’t mount and it’s the one i listed the output for above. the others now mount after i ran updates (i run updates as soon as I see the notification). Anything in those messages tell someone what might be going on with that drive?
If it is the drive for which you gave the “fdisk” output, then there is probably nothing wrong. The drive is formatted in a way that some software component does not like. I am seeing that behavior with DVD isos written to USB. As best I can recall, it started happening with opensuse 12.2. But I’m not sure if that was a software change in 12.2, or a change in the way that the DVD isos are being structured.
To illustrate, I recently downloaded isos for opensuse 13.1 M4. I currently have three USB devices:
The 64-bit install DVD iso;
The 32-bit install DVD iso;
The 64-bit live KDE iso.
The first and second of those are not recognized by the KDE device notifier, and probably would fail to automount when plugged in if I were running Gnome. The third of those is recognized.
I have also tested with:
and if I write the resulting hybridized iso file to a USB, that will be recognized. But I won’t be able to boot it in UEFI mode on a newer computer.
nrickert…I, too, am about to lose my mind over this with 12.3…
My setup is kde 4.10 but I use startx at run level 3. I have changed every polkit policy I can find an still no joy! I’ve used opensuse for years in this same mode, and now PFFFFT! Just today I am reading about use kauth an not polkit now and I’m thinking HUH? It would be great to automount but how without mucking with udev rules…
Automatic mounting of removable media is normally handled by the desktop environment. However, it is possible to use other methods to do this for you if not running with a DE, although I haven’t had direct experience with this (since I operate in a KDE environment). One method uses autofs with minimal configuration required as described here
Thanks. I will look into this. I’m not using autofs now but perhaps I was before in 12.1. And have never heard of usbmount. Right now I am wondering if the use of systemd over sysvinit isn’t causing a lot of this havoc . I wish I could go back to sysvinit, but apparently there is NO way despite what the documentation says. I will return with findings in a day or so.
Right now I am wondering if the use of systemd over sysvinit isn’t causing a lot of this havoc . I wish I could go back to sysvinit, but apparently there is NO way despite what the documentation says. I will return with findings in a day or so.
No, systemd is not responsible for this. Devices are detected by udev (via kernel events), but removable media mounting has been handled by the desktop environment for a few years now.