UPS recomendation

I went into YAST enabled apcupsd. It seems to have set it to start in run level zero. I hope that is correct. I think I need to “calibrate” the battery after it’s charged overnight. ( actually over day for me :smiley: as I sleep all day )

It looks like I need to stop apcuspd then run apctest and calibrate the battery in the UPS from there then restart apcuspd. it that correct?

I am still not clear if I need to run the Battery Calibration test from inside apctest. My Googling produced one posting said that units with USB connectivity do it internally and automatically. I found very little out there discussing this. So I am scratching my head.

My enabling apcupsd in YAST worked as it’s running after a reboot.

Looking in the config file I saw it will do a shut down when it reaches some battery level. It’s not given as a % of battery remaining. I hope someone can explain that too.

I don’t recommend doing a battery run time calibration very often if ever. The main reason is that this function reduces the life span of the Battery. This is not the same thing as doing a simple battery test, which is a good thing to do every month or so. As for unit shutdown, I suggest using 25% as a good reliable shutdown time. The following entry in the config file will do this.

BATTERYLEVEL 25

Thank You,

As Lead Acid batteries hate deep cycling I have it set to shut down at 75% of battery remaining.

I really don’t care if I can run the system when the power is out. I am more worried and over voltages and under voltages and cleanly shutting down.