UPS recomendation

My existing UPS has a dead battery. I need a new one that will power my 550 watt power supply long enough for it to automatically shut down my computer. So the UPS has to be compatible with openSUSE 11.3 to interface either by USB or or a serial to USB convertor. The old one was never hooked up to the computer.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Hi
I use tripplite ones. I’m running a SMART1500LCD (~900W) my power
supply is 750W and with my setup including twin screens it will run for
almost an hour… It connects via serial or USB, I currently have it
connected via USB.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.34-12-default
up 14 days 8:26, 2 users, load average: 0.58, 0.26, 0.10
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 256.44

This Cyberpower one seems good as well Newegg.com - CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series GreenPower UPS CP1350AVRLCD 1350 VA 810 Watts 4 x 5-15R Battery/Surge Protected
4 x 5-15R Surge Protected Outlets UPS

I am going to have to save my pennies for a while I think.

So you might get a better price on Triplite or CyberPower, but I HIGHLY recommend you go with APC (Which used to stand for American Power Conversion). Why would I suggest this you might ask? Well, can you connect your UPS to Linux and get it to work? How much information about your battery and present load do you get from that UPS cable? How long will you be able to find a replacement battery? Now I see that malcolmlewis indicates he does use USB with tripplite, but to Linux? Now it may be so since surely I have not tried every UPS brand out there.

How about when your UPS is 15 years old? Can you still find a battery for it? How about can you still connect it to Linux, today? I can only say that I have one 10 year old (Smart-UPS 620) and one 15 year old (Smart-UPS 600) APC UPS which still work fine with Linux and I just purchased a new battery for the 10 year at a local Battery Plus dealer (12V@12A for $48).

My suggestion today is to look at an APC Back-UPS XS 900 if you can find one as they are GREAT! I also have a Back-UPS 1300 XS which works fine with Linux and Windows, but the power out is not as good as the XS 900 in my opinion.

I say APC all the way and the others be da**d. OK, perhaps that is stupid, but I think very highly of APC and so far I have been the only one sending money to them. But Hey, there is still time APC, should you read this. rotfl!

Thank You,

jdmcdaniel3

Does that use a serial connection to communicate to the UPS from the computer? Serial ports are getting scarce as hens teeth on new motherboards (which I unfortunately had to get recently as well) The Cyberpower says it’s Linux compatible in the specs which I would check further. I will check you recommendations.

Thanks

On Tue August 17 2010 09:06 pm, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:

>
> So you might get a better price on Triplite or CyberPower, but I HIGHLY
> recommend you go with APC (Which used to stand for American Power
> Conversion). Why would I suggest this you might ask? Well, can you
> connect your UPS to Linux and get it to work? How much information about
> your battery and present load do you get from that UPS cable? How long
> will you be able to find a replacement battery? Now I see that
> malcolmlewis indicates he does use USB with tripplite, but to Linux?
> Now it may be so since surely I have not tried every UPS brand out
> there.
>
> How about when your UPS is 15 years old? Can you still find a battery
> for it? How about can you still connect it to Linux, today? I can only
> say that I have one 10 year old (Smart-UPS 620) and one 15 year old
> (Smart-UPS 600) APC UPS which still work fine with Linux and I just
> purchased a new battery for the 10 year at a local Battery Plus dealer
> (12V@12A for $48).
>
> My suggestion today is to look at an APC Back-UPS XS 900 if you can
> find one as they are GREAT! I also have a Back-UPS 1300 XS which works
> fine with Linux and Windows, but the power out is not as good as the XS
> 900 in my opinion.
>
> I say A P C all the way and the others be da**d. OK, perhaps that is
> stupid, but I think very highly of APC and so far I have been the only
> one sending money to them. But Hey, there is still time APC, should you
> read this. rotfl!
>
> Thank You,
>
>
I concur, APC is well supported for linux, most of the others are not.

P. V.
“We’re all in this together, I’m pulling for you.” Red Green

LOL, I only use linux… so umm yes it’s being used with linux… :wink:
There is software you can run from tripplite, but it works OTB with the
standard openSUSE/SLED tools.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.34-12-default
up 14 days 11:38, 2 users, load average: 0.05, 0.07, 0.02
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 256.44

All new UPS’ intended for home use include a USB port. Serial UPS connections are for really old units like the 10 and 15 year old versions I spoke about in my first message. In openSUSE to monitor APC UPS’ you load the programs called apcupsd and apcupsd-gui in Yast / Software Management (Search for UPS). You then edit a file called /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf as root (see menu run command below):

kdesu kwrite /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf

You basically need to inform the application apcupsd how you connect to your UPS. For USB, you make two line changes and that is it. Next, you need to start the runlevel services. This is Yast / System / System Services (Run Level) and enable the service apcupsd and then Start it. Finally, you start the program apcupsd-gui at menu / System / Monitor / apcupsd. Once the program is running I go to the preference tab and check Enabled and use TrayIcon. Now you are monitoring your UPS. In order to autostart apcupsd, you need to create an autostart script file or find the autostart function for the desktop that you use. The name of the program you run for the gui is called gapcmon. I happen to have a script that can be used to create a autoscript for KDE. It is listed in the following thread.

KDE Application Autostart Script: Automatically Made For You!

You never know, you might learn something about scripting as well.

Thank You,

jdmcdaniel3 wrote:

>
> So you might get a better price on Triplite or CyberPower, but I
> HIGHLY recommend you go with APC (Which used to stand for American
> Power Conversion).

I second APC. APC, now owned by Schneider Electric, still means
American Power Conversion, although it was never an American product
(it’s designed and built in Kolding, Denmark by a company previously
known as Silcon).

Per Jessen, Zürich (15.8°C)
http://en.opensuse.org/User:pjessen

PV wrote:

> I concur, APC is well supported for linux, most of the others are not…

Many are well supported by the NUT project:

http://www.networkupstools.org/

Per Jessen, Zürich (16.0°C)
http://en.opensuse.org/User:pjessen

I second APC. APC, now owned by Schneider Electric, still means
American Power Conversion, although it was never an American product
(it’s designed and built in Kolding, Denmark by a company previously
known as Silcon).
pjessen it is funny your should mention Schneider Electric because I knew that. Schneider Electric purchased another company I used to work for called TAC, which happened just after I left there which builds and installs HVAC control systems and equipment. Schneider Electric also owns Square D, a well known maker of electrical Motor Starters, something I am big into as well, at least in controlling them.

As for APC it looks like several of us all agree with the quality of APC. I can tell you I have purchased many APC units for my customers and more than one for myself and I have never been sorry for the purchase. I can also admit to being weak a few times and buying another brand and regretting it later either due t its actual poor backup quality or due to its lack of connectivity and even a few times due to poor replacement battery support. Every company can have a bad product or make an occasional bad decision, but I can’t think of a single bad experience using APC. They are not the cheapest, but actually if you look around the net, it is possible to find a very good deal on an APC product.

Thank You,

I looked at the APC units in my price range and can’t see how they connect to the Computer. I see no USB or Serial connector.

This is want I am looking at now. Amazon.com: APC Back-UPS RS, 540 Watts / 800 VA,Input 120V /… It;s the same as the APC BACK-UPS 900VA 120V except it’s black which matches my cases and monitors.

Not every APC product has an interface. The smaller the VA or the lower the cost, the less likely such support is being provided. When looking at the product specifications, you are looking for a comment like “Connectivity Details Type: USB Cable”. Here is a page with several units listed:

UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supplies) Battery Backup Replacement Batteries at CDW

It looks like the Back-UPS ES 550 is the least expensive unit that has this connectivity. So the next questions is, why do you need connectivity? In its most basic mode, the UPS, through monitoring software, will shut down your computer before the battery runs out of power. So, you can not only survive the short power failures, but do an orderly shutdown for extended power failures for which your UPS is not big enough to keep running through.

Remember, you are not buying a generator here, just a UPS. Backup times can be as low as 10 minutes and seldom exceed 40 minutes. Lastly, connectivity can provide loading information and estimated equipment run times. You can tell if you UPS is large enough and if it might support a few more things. You can’t really tell for sure without active loading information from a quality UPS unit.

Thank You,

What I want is a orderly shut down and line conditioning. The unit In the Amazon URL has a USB connection according to the info on the CDW site. I think the APC Back-UPS RS 800VA 120V Black - UPS/Battery Backups - BR800BLK - CDW.com unit is what I am getting. The management software is in the Repos. It should be plug and play pretty much.

The APC Unit you list looks just find to me. I would go for it and then look at my write here on how to make it work. Come back with any questions or problems that you might have and good luck with your purchase.

Thank You,

It’s ordered. Just over $160.00 USD with taxes and other California fees. The wife said “order it” so I did :smiley:

FlameBait It’s ordered. Just over $160.00 USD with taxes and other California fees. The wife said “order it” so I did :smiley:
That sounds great. Let us know when it comes in and of course, this has got to work right for you. Now it is for certain that once you connect the battery, plug it into the wall, and your computer into the UPS, you are protected. The real trick is getting the monitoring up and running. I went through the steps kind of fast, so if anything does not make sense, just let me know.

Thank You,

Well it’s here. Getting it to play over the USB cable with gapcmon has me scratching my head. Hardware in YSAT sees it (says it’s a different model but it’s there as a USB device)

United Parcel Service always delivers dirty boxes.

I got /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf edited for the USB cable. Now how do I get it to apcupsd to autostart every boot? How do I tell the when to shut down.

I just plugged this thing in not over 3 hours ago and it says it’s got a fully charged battery. :o I find that hard to believe.