Upgraded Firefox won't fire up

I upgraded Firefox this morning to 3.6.6-1.1 (64-bit) and now it won’t start. This was a minor version upgrade and I tried reinstalling it but to no avail. When trying to run it via the console, the statement, “Couldn’t load XPCOM” is all that comes up. Currently using 11.2 and everything is as up-to-date as can be. Have never had a problem before with FF which is why this has me so bugged; it was just a minor upgrade. I’ve checked back with the repository several times, the logic being this is a bug and a corrected version would be posted but apparently that’s not the case. Anyone with a solution will receive my undying gratitude :).

Hi,

Download Firefox from the Mozilla website like I did and it works, not like previously.:wink: Of course you will lose some options but it is only temporary.

Arbden

ZCSuse wrote:

>
> I upgraded Firefox this morning to 3.6.6-1.1 (64-bit) and now
it won’t
> start. This was a minor version upgrade and I tried
reinstalling it
> but
> to no avail. When trying to run it via the console, the
statement,
> “Couldn’t load XPCOM” is all that comes up. Currently using
11.2 and
> everything is as up-to-date as can be. Have never had a
problem
> before with FF which is why this has me so bugged; it was just
a minor
> upgrade. I’ve checked back with the repository several times,
the
> logic being this is a bug and a corrected version would be
posted but
> apparently
> that’s not the case. Anyone with a solution will receive my
undying
> gratitude :).
>
>
running: ldd /usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9.2/libxul.so
shows that libmozjs.so is not found
it appears a symbolic link should have been created but wasn’t
as root: ln -s /usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9.2.4/libmozjs.so
/usr/lib64/libmozjs.so

what can I get at Amazon.com with your undying gratitude?

openSuse 11.2 x64bit, KDE4.4, Opera weekly

As I understand it 3.6.6 is a fix for Farmerville players.
It involves the timeout of the unresponsive page taking it from 10 seconds to 45 sec. My advice would be to revert your Fx in yast see if that fixes it. If you don’t play it you’ll be OK if you revert.
As for me I’m just leaving this Fx update.

Couldn't load XPCOM

The reason for this is an outdated version of the package ‘mozilla-js192’ which is also offered by Packman. I suppose Packmans versioning does that, I’m not sure though.

Test it:

zypper se -ds mozilla-js192

If this is the output:

S | Name                    | Typ   | Version           | Arch | Repository
--+-------------------------+-------+-------------------+------+--------------------------------
i | mozilla-js192           | Paket | 1.9.2.4-1.pm.11.1 | i586 | Packman Repository
v | mozilla-js192           | Paket | 1.9.2.6-3.1       | i586 | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla
  | mozilla-js192-debuginfo | Paket | 1.9.2.6-3.1       | i586 | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla

…it will be fixed this way:

zypper in mozilla-js192-1.9.2.6-3.1

…and don’t ask me why Packman is offering Mozilla-packages.

Sorry about not posting sooner but by the time I found the “solution” y’all had already posted your suggestions. As it turned out, I got to looking at my installed software base and discovered I was spread out all over the place with Factory upgrades including 4.4 to 4.6. Did a little house cleaning to get everything within a version or so of each other (KDE was especially bad) and FireFox decided to come out of hiding and start working again. Don’t know what specifically caused it to do this but it obviously had something to do with the versioning spread. Think I’ll just take it easy for awhile on the experimentation (at least until 11.3 comes out in a couple of weeks). I do appreciate the help though as it would’ve given me a starting point had the other thing not worked out.

I had this very same thing. What solved it for me was to downgrade to FF 3.59 from the OpenSUSE repositories, and then to switch system packages to the ones from the Mozilla repository, which installed FF 3.6.6 once more. A working one this time.

It is almost a pity that I can’t check now whether I had mozilla-js192 from the Packman repositories installed or not. (I could swear though that what I had before my down- and re-upgrade is precisely what I have now. )

It is almost a pity that I can’t check now whether I had mozilla-js192 from the Packman repositories installed or not.

You can:

cat /var/log/zypp/history | grep mozilla-js192

You are absolutely right, on both counts. The packman package of mozilla-js192 is indeed listed.

[QUOTE=]

…it will be fixed this way:

zypper in mozilla-js192-1.9.2.6-3.1

…and don’t ask me why Packman is offering Mozilla-packages.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much!!! This got my Firefox going too :slight_smile:

Cheers!!:wink:

Thanks to gropiuskalle … worked like a charm!