Update Problem using zypper

Hi,
For the last few days I’m trying to update my PC to the latest KDE4.3 binaries.
I’m using openSUSE 11.1 and my repositories are set to :
KDE Factory Development (KDE 4.3 Beta 1 + Patches) for OpenSuSE 11.1

First I tried to refresh the repositories using zypper (as root):

# zypper ref

but I get the following error messages :

Retrieving repository 'KDE4_Factory_Core_Packages' metadata /]Timeout exceed

Abort, retry, ignore?

Retrieving repository 'KDE4_Factory_Core_Packages' metadata /]Download (curl) error for 'http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.1/repodata/primary.xml.gz':                                                                             
Error code: Unrecognized error                                                                                                            
Error message: transfer closed with 361116 bytes remaining to read                                                                        

at first I thought it’s a problem with KDE repositories so I skipped the refresh for KDE but now I get the same errors for the ‘update’ repository as well :

Retrieving repository 'openSUSE-11.1-Update' metadata \]Download (curl) error for 'http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.1/repodata/primary.xml.gz':
Error code: Unrecognized error
Error message: transfer closed with 1569083 bytes remaining to read

Abort, retry, ignore? [A/r/i]:

Thank for the help.
Sagi.

maybe you have connection problems ?just a guess …

can you donwload something with wget to see if it stops after a while ?

I would try removing and then adding back your repo’s. Or you may just have to wait for the repo to get sorted, they are in constant flux.

I think that I have a problem with the mirror that I’m being directed to because I have this problem on 3 different PCs, when 1 of them is on a different subnet
with a different IP address but all pc are directed to the same mirror :
http://ftp5.gwdg.de/

I think there was a problem with the mirror that I was directed to
because today I was able to update all 3 PCs without any problem.

Thanks for the Help.

opoensuse 11.1 x64 KDE
This would be a software problem and I am getting the same error as well for the past week. I deleted each repository and added them back from here Package Repositories - openSUSE using the url method, but I get the same error whether using YaST or Zypper

download failed:
download (curl) error for 'http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.1/repodata/primary.sml.gz'. Error code: Unrecognized error
Error message: transfer closed with 1501891 bytes remaining to...

and the bytes transfer can be different each time I try it. So, I removed all three again and added them back one by one, refreshing them, and the only one that causes me problems is the update repository. Is this problem still occurring for anyone else?

Orba

delete updates re add it:
Copy and paste the url
Index of /update/11.1

If it still fails try a mirror - find one in the list in your part of the world.
openSUSE Download Mirrors - 11.1

caf4926, you’re a dear! Your first suggestion worked. I guess it was an install problem after all, or a link problem.

Thanks for your time!
Warm regards,
Orba

Excellent news!

Hi caf4926 and all,

I’m having that same error message, again, for the past week or more, and I should have inquired how to add a repository via a mirror as I don’t understand how to do this. Some suggest try Media Type>ftp instead of URL, but I don’t know what to fill in for “Server Name” and “Directory on Server” from the mirrors.

This openSuse forum thread is much like I am experiencing, and again, it is only with the Update repository, not Oss or non-Oss.
Re: [opensuse] Online Update curl error back again in 11.1

Here is a bug report
[opensuse] Online Update curl error back again in 11.1](http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/SuSE/2009-06/msg01176.html)
that one reply gives a terminal command to give clues, which I did, but the output is too large for this post:

# strace -f -e connect zypper ref                                  
Process 4717 attached (waiting for parent)                                      
Process 4717 resumed (parent 4716 ready)                                        
--- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---                                          
connect(6, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = 0           
connect(6, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(80), sin_addr=inet_addr("195.135.221.130")}, 16) = -1 EINPROGRESS (Operation now in progress)                     
Repository 'non-oss' is up to date.                                             
connect(6, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(80), sin_addr=inet_addr("195.135.221.130")}, 16) = -1 EINPROGRESS (Operation now in progress)                     
connect(7, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = 0           
connect(7, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(53), sin_addr=inet_addr("209.172.0.5")}, 28) = 0                                                                  
connect(8, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(53), sin_addr=inet_addr("209.172.0.8")}, 28) = 0                                                                  
connect(7, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(80), sin_addr=inet_addr("204.152.186.174")}, 16) = -1 EINPROGRESS (Operation now in progress)                     
Repository 'oss' is up to date.                                                 
Retrieving repository 'update' metadata \]connect(6, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(53), sin_addr=inet_addr("209.172.0.5")}, 28) = 0                       
connect(7, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(53), sin_addr=inet_addr("209.172.0.8")}, 28) = 0                                                                  
Process 5781 attached (waiting for parent)                                      
Process 5781 resumed (parent 5757 ready)                                        
Process 5781 detache                            

[pid  4726] --- SIGPIPE (Broken pipe) @ 0 (0) 
[pid  4734] --- SIGPIPE (Broken pipe) @ 0 (0) ---                               

[pid  4736] --- SIGPIPE (Broken pipe) @ 0 (0) )
Retrieving repository 'update' metadata |]Process 5786 attached (waiting for parent)Process 5757 resumed
Process 5816 detached
--- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---
Retrieving repository 'update' metadata \]Download (curl) error for 'http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.1/repodata/primary.xml.gz Error code: unrecognized error. 

Thanks in advance for checking this out.
Orba

Add by url method, just copy and paste the url of the repo, you can name it as appropriate eg; the update repo you could call: Updates

Repository Management - openSUSE Forums

Delete any repo giving you trouble and add in a new one, follow the guide.

Ah, thanks so much, caf4926, as once again you helped me!

I did try this a couple of times before, and each time would get this error: (Indonesia mirror used for example)
“Unable to create repository from URL http://mirror.unej.ac.id/opensuse/”.
Try again?"

Silly me did not track the full url address/path, which would be /update/11.1. I’m laughing over my stupidity. lol! Just to let you know this mirror is refreshing splendidly.

Again, thank you!
Warm regards,
Orba

Happy to hear such good news Orba;)