Update Error

After updating the package failed, the system was damaged.It was failed when I attempt to reinstall opensuse12.3, I selected update in the installation interface and when I selected and entered the partition where should be updated, it was failed and leaved a message: partitions could not be mount check the log file /var/log/YaST2/y2log.

BTRFS filesystem except /boot, My system was installed into an encrypted LVM, the /home is separated from /root but in the same LVM, maybe I can say they are in the same partition.

On posting here:

• State openSUSE version, 32/64 bit, desktop used.
  • Post output concerning the issue. Between CODE tag, the # in the editor
  • When uncertain, check what to do here.

For now, please provide more info, otherwise we would be shooting in the dark.

BTW: Welcome !!

openSUSE 12.3, 32bit, KDE, Gnome3, enlightedment? LxDE, all of them are very new

partitions could not be mounted check the log file /var/log/YaST2/y2log

Could you also elaborate on what “system was damaged” means? If 12.3 was already installed, wouldn’t it be better to see if we could get it back to work?

On 2013-06-07 10:06, geetboy wrote:
> where should be updated, it was failed and leaved a message: partitions
> could not be mount check the log file /var/log/YaST2/y2log.

Did you?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

my destroyed (operating) system is opensuse12.3, while what I am trying to install is also opensuse12.3

my destroyed OS, only can boot to the very beginning where asks for the password to unlock the partition, which after the os selecting menu.

Is that enough information? If not, may be reinstall is easier, but keep my data OK

On 2013-06-08 06:36, geetboy wrote:
>
> Is that enough information?

Hardly. I’m still waiting for your answer.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Please make also sure that your Btrfs is still intact. According to another thread, there still seem to be issues with that fs (I haven’t tested that for myself, though), and there is a risk of data loss due to fs corruption.
If you can, check whether or not the fs is still in one piece, because if not, you might have to reformat the partition to get it back to work.

Btw.: Maybe you should consider switching to ext4 if you want a stable fs and use a separate Btrfs partition for testing.

Thank you very much, I have succeeded in reinstalling, without data loss in /home, just provide the harddisk password when required, and check ecrypted LVM and Btrfs as your default file system and separate /home in the step about partitioning, so it will not format /home, it will warning you in the red line it will not format you home volume in the last step before starting to copy files. remember it may work only like my case