Update error help needed please.

Not sure if the error is as a result of temporarily using Saurerland’s repo or HP installation but Please could somebody advise how I delete offending material:-

Checking for file conflicts: ..................................................................................[done]
(1/5) Installing: hplip-hpijs-3.19.6-2.1.x86_64 ...............................................................[done]
(2/5) Installing: python2-pytz-2019.2-2.1.noarch .............................................................[error]
Installation of python2-pytz-2019.2-2.1.noarch failed:
Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pytz/zoneinfo: cpio: File from package already exists as a directory in system
error: python2-pytz-2019.2-2.1.noarch: install failed
error: python2-pytz-2019.2-1.1.noarch: erase skipped

Many thanks,
Budge

Hi
Doubt it since the python2-pytz package is from the main oss repository, more likely an incomplete mirror, force a refresh and zypper dup again;

zypper -vvv ref -f
zypper -vvv dup

Had no issues here with the package, installing and uninstalling…

Hi Malcolm and thanks for the reply. I opted to change vendor back to opensuse just in case there was a problem with Sauerland’s update for he hplip package but there is still a problem. Here is the leg again:-

Checking for file conflicts: ..................................................................................[done]
(1/4) Installing: hplip-sane-3.19.6-2.1.x86_64 ................................................................[done]
(2/4) Installing: python2-pytz-2019.2-2.1.noarch .............................................................[error]
Installation of python2-pytz-2019.2-2.1.noarch failed:
Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pytz/zoneinfo: cpio: File from package already exists as a directory in system
error: python2-pytz-2019.2-2.1.noarch: install failed
error: python2-pytz-2019.2-1.1.noarch: erase skipped

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): 

Any other suggestions or should I just wait 24 hours and try again?

Hi
Could try forcing that one package;

zypper in -f python2-pytz-2019.2-2.1.noarch

Or maybe rebuild the rpm database;

rpm --rebuilddb

Hi Malcolm,
No joy I’m afraid.
Could I find and delete the file that is in the wrong place?

Hi
I would manually download and install the rpm;

https://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/noarch/python2-pytz-2019.2-2.1.noarch.rpm.mirrorlist

zypper in -f python2-pytz-2019.2-2.1.noarch.rpm

If the described steps above don’t work,
I’d consider looking for, and purging anything with “pytz” on your system…

First,
Uninstall all pytz packages…

zypper si pytz
zypper si "*pytz"
zypper si "pytz*"
zypper si "*pytz*"

Then,
After the above you will look for any remnants on your system that might have “pytz” in the directory or file name
Use “locate” to look for any instances of pytz, if you don’t already have locate installed, it’ in the mlocate package. Newly installed mlocate packages need to update the database immediately to work (See MAN page or various posts I’ve made to these Forums)

locate pytz

Depending on what you might find, manually “rm” the offending directories or files.

Then,
Try re-installing whatever package you prefer.

TSU

Not a solution, but…

Do you actually need “python2-pytz”? It’s not installed on my TW system, so may be a recommended package only, unless you’ve installed a package that requires it.

What does

sudo rpm -q --whatrequires python2-pytz

return, if it’s not required I’d perhaps, for the moment, just delete that package.

Googling your error shown in the first post

that type of error seems to be often associated with a corrupt rpm package.

This is fun. Hi Tsu and thanks for the suggestion. Sadly it came too late; being impatient I had decided to delete the offending file.
Having now seen both recent posts I did check what required the offending file and received:-

no package requires python2-pytz

However something is still causing a problem and I do not understand what I am now reading:-

alastair@AJBR-W530:~> sudo zypper dup
[sudo] password for root: 
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.
Computing distribution upgrade...
2 Problems:
Problem: python2-qt4-4.12.3-1.7.x86_64 requires python2-sip(api) = 12.6, but this requirement cannot be provided
Problem: python3-qt4-4.12.3-1.7.x86_64 requires python3-sip(api) = 12.6, but this requirement cannot be provided

Problem: python2-qt4-4.12.3-1.7.x86_64 requires python2-sip(api) = 12.6, but this requirement cannot be provided
  deleted providers: python2-sip-4.19.18-1.1.x86_64
 Solution 1: Following actions will be done:
  keep obsolete python2-sip-4.19.18-1.1.x86_64
  keep obsolete python-sip-common-4.19.18-1.1.x86_64
 Solution 2: deinstallation of python2-qt4-4.12.3-1.7.x86_64
 Solution 3: break python2-qt4-4.12.3-1.7.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or skip, retry or cancel [1/2/3/s/r/c/d/?] (c):

What does python2-sip(api) = 12.6 mean? Why 12.6?

Again, I’d question whether that’s actually a package you (still) need. Most of the qt4 “stuff” has now been removed (or ported to qt5) or is in the process of being removed.

As before, I’ve not got “python2-qt4” on this TW install, (but you of course may still require it)

Check if it’s needed:

sudo rpm -q --whatrequires python2-qt4

If not then remove the package, or, alternatively select option “1” and keep the obsolete packages.

(The 12.6 is, I believe, the internal version number of the api…)

Edit: you’ll need to do the same for python3-qt4

sip is a protocol related to VoIP.
Any VoIP apps instealled?

Aside from RPM corruption,
You should do what I suggest…
First use the package manager to search for any apps which might be installed with “pytz” in the name and then delete them.
Then do a search using “locate” which will search any sequence of characters for anything on your system with “pytz” in the name, and if it looks like a remnant from something, just delete it (It’s an orphaned remnant because you already tried to delete all files using your package manager).

Then do your “zypper dup”
And, if you need the pytz file, re-install.

TSU