Unknown process is high loading the CPU while screen is off or locked

Hi, whenever I lock the screen or it turns off when not using it, some unknown process loads the CPU, which triggers the fan. I have disabled indexing for search. Using Build20240326, I think this started after the Plasma 6 update. I don’t know how to isolate the culprit(s). Thank you.

You could maybe save something like this to a file.sh and leave it running in a terminal.

#!/usr/bin/env bash

echo writing to ps.log every 10 seconds
while true; do  
  echo "%CPU %MEM ARGS $(date)" >>ps.log
  ps -e -o pcpu,pmem,args --sort=pcpu | cut -d" " -f1-5 | tail >>ps.log  
  sleep 10
done 

If you have an ssh client for other device in your network, you could remotely login and use top or htop. There are ssh clients for phones, so you could use a phone.

Is anything writing to the journal (view with journalctl --boot)?

Some folk on other distros have had problems with powerdevil or perhaps display-brightness-control. But that was related to changes in a more recent version of libddcutil than is currently shipped with Tumbleweed. This would only apply to external monitors not laptop screens. If you are using a monitor, you could perhaps experiment with disabling some of these new options:

• Right mouse in system trayConfigure System Tray → Entries → Brightness and Color change to Disabled.
  • Maybe also try disabling the System SettingsEnergy Saving → Display and Brightness options.

But as I’ve written, I don’t think we have the problem version of ddcutil/libddcutil, so it’s a bit of long shot. It would be better to have a look using ssh or check the journal.

Thank you, it seems that kscreenlocker_greet is the issue. I’ll now search for reports or make a new post.

%CPU %MEM ARGS jue 28 mar 2024 07:54:12 CST
 0.7  0.7 /usr/bin/konsole
 0.8  0.9 /usr/bin/dolphin
 0.9  1.0 /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox
 1.0  0.6 /usr/bin/Xorg.bin
 1.1  1.5 /usr/bin/kwin_x11
 1.1  1.3 /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox
 1.5  1.1 /usr/bin/kate
 2.8  3.3 /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox
 3.7  3.5 /usr/bin/plasmashell
15.7  1.5 /usr/libexec/kscreenlocker_greet --immediateLock

Link to the new post: https://forums.opensuse.org/t/kscreenlocker-greet-high-cpu-use/