Unity for openSUSE

Don’t know if it has been asked,but what’s the state of Unity on openSUSE?I found out about the state Cinnamon,about the state of Mate but I didn’t heard nothing about Unity,I guess that Compiz at it’s current state is pretty buggy(just a guess don’t bash me)!:slight_smile:

I would think the confusion comes from the name. openSUSE:GNOME Ayatana - openSUSE

Of course,didn’t think of it,I know about Ayatana project from Ubuntu!

Personally I dont get why you would want unity when its such a hated interface by many.

Unity-2d is missing in the project repo: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=unity-2d&project=GNOME%3AAyatana
Tha’ts the problem. If compiz doesn’t work, Unity won’t work either, while Unity-2d would provide an acceptable desktop - as it does under Ubuntu.

Simply don’t ask “why” when the question is “what” or “how”, and you’ll find everything and/or everyone easier to understand. :wink:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 05:36:01 +0000, MadmanRB wrote:

> Personally I dont get why you would want unity when its such a hated
> interface by many.

Believe it or not, there are actually people who like it. Just like
there are people who like GNOME3.

You don’t like it? That’s OK, but for those who do, this kind of comment
isn’t particularly useful.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

No I am okay with unity, it just seems to be ood if they wanted unity they should be on Ubuntu where its the mainstay and more guaranteed to get support.

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 18:16:01 +0000, MadmanRB wrote:

> No I am okay with unity, it just seems to be ood if they wanted unity
> they should be on Ubuntu where its the mainstay and more guaranteed to
> get support.

For myself, it’s not about the DE, it’s about the applications. :slight_smile:

Jim

Jim Henderson

I agree with this. For the most part I am happy to have an environment just get out of my way. The only reason I use bigger desktops is they tend to easily support screen locking and user switching.

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 00:06:02 +0000, nightwishfan wrote:

> hendersj;2505529 Wrote:
>> For myself, it’s not about the DE, it’s about the applications. :slight_smile:
>
> I agree with this. For the most part I am happy to have an environment
> just get out of my way. The only reason I use bigger desktops is they
> tend to easily support screen locking and user switching.

Yep, and that’s one reason why I like GNOME3 a lot - the UI doesn’t get
in the way, and the lack of customization is actually a plus for me. I
tend to get bogged down in tweaking things that are tweakable (case in
point: I have a router that I’d installed openWRT on, and spent last
weekend tweaking it. I bricked the router Monday night with an update
and now need to buy a JTAG cable to recover it. :frowning: )

GNOME3 removes the distractions and I can just get on with doing the work
I need to do.

Jim

Jim Henderson

What is the main difference between unity and GNOME 3.X ?
I always thought Unity is a poor man’s GNOME 3.X

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 19:36:01 +0000, vazhavandan wrote:

> What is the main difference between unity and GNOME 3.X ?
> I always thought Unity is a poor man’s GNOME 3.X

I’ve never used Unity, so I wouldn’t know. :slight_smile:

Jim

Jim Henderson

Unity uses compiz. Gnome-shell has its own compositing manager named ‘clutter’. The consequence is that Unity might work fine with some graphics cards where gnome-shell will switch to fallback or even not work at all … and vice versa actually. Unity also has a ‘fallback’ mode in case Compiz fails to start, but unlike gnome fallback which is quite different from gnome-shell, unity-2d is very similar to unity, without the 3D effects. Last time I checked, unity-2d was wissing in openSUSE. Thus, if compiz doesn’t work, Unity won’t work either.

When i checked out the following repo and did zypper dup. It was trying to pull in lot of packages. Hence i terminated the process.
Will it remove gnome3.x :frowning: if i had continued wit the dup ?

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/GNOME:/Ayatana/openSUSE_12.2/GNOME:Ayatana.repo

I never use zypper dup … but why would it remove gnome3? I never trusted this command though. I did install Unity once from this repo (zypper in) . It just doesn’t work for the reason I already explained with this nvidia GeForce 6x. It doesn’t work on Ubuntu either (it used too though) but Ubuntu has unity-2d-shell and so it works without Compiz. Under openSUSE, it looks for unity-2d but doesn’t find it. It might work with another graphics card. It just doesn’t with that one.

You can have have gnome-shell and Unity installed (I do have both under Ubuntu and Mint).

On 11/29/2012 11:26 AM, vazhavandan wrote:
> if i had continued wit the dup ?

why are you running “zypper dup”??

that is ONLY to be used when you are upgrading the distribution (like
from 12.1 to 12.2)…

at the most you should run “zypper up”, but i would recommend you use
YaST Software Management and YaST Online Update…much safer!!!

depending on the repos you have enabled, dup can KILL the system in a
heartbeat!!!

dd

# zypper in unity

is actually all you need (after adding and refreshing the repo).

@please_try_again
@dd
Thanks all for the replies
Will try it out

I do not use Gnome, but have tried it out for a period of over a week in the past. i have used Ubuntu only for test purposes and have almost no experience with Unity, so take this with a grain of salt, but i’m pretty confident in what i’m about to say.

Gnome 3 uses a shell to implement a UI, in the same way that kde uses it’s shell ‘plasma desktop’. Gnomes shell is simply called ‘Gnome shell’ though. Cinnamon and Unity are still Gnome3, but are not using the Gnome shell, but instead the Unity shell and the Cinnamon shell.
As please_try_again mentioned, Unity, but also Cinnamon also use different window managers to default Gnome3. I believe the Gnome3 window manager is actually named ‘Mutter’. The Cinnamon window manager is named ‘muffin’. Unity has ‘Compiz’. A window manager is not part of a shell, although some shells such as the Gnome shell will refuse to work without a certain window manager.
The visual differences between Gnome shell and Unity.
(For the sake of clarity, i will refer to the default Gnome3 setup as ‘gnome’ and the Ubuntu, Unity setup as ‘Unity’, in the following comparisons)

Both desktop environments have a dock on the left. Unitys is always showing. Gnome’s is hidden and revealed by accessing activities, either by clicking or hovering over the activities button in the top left corner of the screen.
Unitys dock acts like a task manager similar to the icontask plasmoid in kde. Gnome’s does practically the same thing but wouldn’t be very effective as a task manager since you need to access activities to see it. Alternatively Gnome has a ‘expose’ type effect occur when you access activities, which is used to manage open applications.
Unity has a button in the top left corner in the Unity dock-panel which activates the Unity menu. Gnome has a menu too, but to access it you need to access activities and then access the applications button which appears above the expose windows previously mentioned.

I’m afraid i can’t remember the Unity menu structure very well, so i won’t go into menu structure, but i’m pretty sure both menus are full screen menus: at least Gnomes is.

Lastly Unity has chosen to use a universal menubar, while Gnome still remains with keeping there buttons on their own windows.

I hope that has helped. Both descriptions were based off default setups, and customization can be done in some places to change the appearance or behavior to work differently.
In my opinion, I liked Unity, but i hate universal menu bars, and that alone would be what would push me to Gnome if i had to choose between the two. Ultimately though i really dislike the way Gnome works. Don’t let my opinion influence you though. Other people use their computers differently and you may be one of the people who’ll like it.