Uninstall Sudo for Run0

SystemD 256 is coming out soon with Run0, a Sudo replacement, and I intend to use that in place of Sudo. if I alias sudo=run0 and run0 zypper rm sudo is everything going to work like before? do any programs depend on Sudo?

That is not how it works.
And yes, gnomesu, kdesu, xdgsu will most likely depend on sudo. You’ll break your system AFAIK

1 Like

Thanks for the point about those packages used for graphical privileges. It looks like while they do use sudo, they have a fallback to doas and/or su, but none of them have added native run0 support yet, from what I can tell. I will test in a virtual machine to be sure graphical permissions prompts still work before I try anything on bare metal.

If I look at your suggestion in your OP, doubt that would be useful. sudo does the job fine. Changing that to something else may very easily break the system. Learn first, until you at least know what you’re messing about with.

When you want to live without sudo for some reason, I never use sudo. :rofl:

1 Like

You may already try this:

$ systemd-run zypper --non-interactive dist-upgrade 
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.systemd1.manage-units ====
Authentication is required to manage system services or other units.
Authenticating as: root
Password: 
==== AUTHENTICATION COMPLETE ====
Running as unit: run-u901.service; invocation ID: 8841385045b546188ff9fd895357ade0

micha@freiburg: ~
$ 
root@freiburg: ~
# journalctl -u run-u901.service
Jun 11 11:34:14 freiburg systemd[1]: Started /usr/bin/zypper --non-interactive dist-upgrade.
Jun 11 11:34:14 freiburg zypper[9986]: Loading repository data...
Jun 11 11:34:14 freiburg zypper[9986]: Reading installed packages...
Jun 11 11:34:15 freiburg zypper[9986]: Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this>
Jun 11 11:34:15 freiburg zypper[9986]: Computing distribution upgrade...
Jun 11 11:34:15 freiburg zypper[9986]: Nothing to do.
Jun 11 11:34:15 freiburg systemd[1]: run-u901.service: Deactivated successfully.

root@freiburg: ~
#