Unable to shut down Suse normally

Hey guys. I posted a while back with a different problem involving the X server. Turns out that I installed the wrong Nvidia drivers to that and it wiped a bunch of dependancies. Unfortunately I had to re-install OpenSuSE 11.0 to fix it.

That was a few months ago. Now I’m in an even odder predicament. I logged onto Suse today, and did my usual routine (torrenting, surfing the net and playing around with GIMP). When I decided to shut down, I tried to, but the Restart and Shut Down icons have been grayed out somehow. I’m unable to select that option and have the OS restart.

I did a hard reboot, and that managed to work so I can get into my XP (running a dual boot of the two). This hasn’t come up before, so I’m really confused. Nothing else with the OS is wrong, except for the updating. I tried to update, but I got a whole bunch of error messages that whizzed right by me in a flash.

So, what’s going on? I’m really confused, and i hope that I don’t have to re-install SuSE again.

-Peace-

When I decided to shut down, I tried to, but the Restart and Shut Down icons have been grayed out somehow. I’m unable to select that option and have the OS restart.

Are you using Gnome, KDE 3.5, or KDE 4? As an interim workaround (and handy to know), you can shutdown or restart this way: Open a terminal, su to root, and do:

shutdown -r now    ## restarts the system
shutdown -h now    ## turns off the machine

Nothing else with the OS is wrong, except for the updating. I tried to update, but I got a whole bunch of error messages that whizzed right by me in a flash.

Please elaborate. What were you trying to update, and how were you doing it?

Are you using Gnome, KDE 3.5, or KDE 4?

I am using GNOME.

I will try to use those commands, but how do I get rid of the grayed out Restart and Shut Down buttons?

Please elaborate. What were you trying to update, and how were you doing it?

I apologize. I didn’t mean that I was trying to update, but the system was updating itself via the automatic online update.

-Peace-

Not bumping, but because I’m unable to find the edit button, this will have to do.

While we’re at this problem, I’ve noticed another thing. When I get to the login manager, my “actions” button has disappeared as well. The terminal command works, thank heavens, but since I’m a Windows guy, I prefer working from the GUI to navigate around the system. That’s why I need help.

I would appreciate any sort of input into the situation. :slight_smile:

-Peace-

If you boot or enter the CLI, this is a known issue.

I also use Gnome, and if I go into the CLI at any time, the shutdown/reboot commands will be grayed out.

For more information on this, refer to this page: OpenSUSE Wiki: Shutdown & Reboot Errors

Like said above, any further information you can provide would be great.

Before you update, view the updates available by selecting the following:

Right-click the update icon -> Show Updates (available) -> Review Updates

Thanks! :slight_smile:

At the moment, it doesn’t seem that serious to need a reinstall.

It sounds like a combination of a few errors, not one huge one.

Would you be able to elaborate, please? :slight_smile:

By the action button, where and which button are your referring to?

By the way, in case you didn’t already install your driver again, refer to this page: OpenSUSE Wiki: Configuring Drivers

If you didn’t reinstall the driver (or if it is the source), the 1-click install and configuration might solve some of the issues.

Hope that helps, and thanks for the patience. :slight_smile:

. . . but since I’m a Windows guy, I prefer working from the GUI to navigate around the system. That’s why I need help.

Sure, that’s understandable.

I’m afraid that I’m not personally going to be of much help, as I’m not a Gnome guy. @Unseen-Ghost and others know a lot more about Gnome that I do . . .

But I will suggest you go to YaST Online Update and install any updates, if there. From your earlier description, possibly something went amiss with an update; that could be connected to your problem. If there is a problem doing updates, you will see it more clearly this way than thru the update applet on your task bar.

You might also go into YaST Software Management, in the Filter select Patterns, select Gnome Base System to the left and all the associated packages will show in the list to the right. If you see packages with the version column in blue, there are updates for those packages. The Online Update/Automatic Update function only be definition includes Security or Recommended (as in, serious enough to be strongly suggested) updates. There are many other revision updates however. It’s possible for a user to have an individual situation that would be resolved by a patched newer version, but that update is not being widely distributed (also very common in Windows land; they’re called HotFixes). If you’re feeling a bit bold, you can right-click in the list and select “all in this list update if newer version available”; all those packages will be selected for installation. You can even force the re-installation of all the currently installed packages with “all in this list update unconditionally”. If you choose to do updates, you should also do so with the pattern Gnome Desktop Environment.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Mingus is right on: an update of software would definitely help out.

On that topic, there are a few good repositories you might want to add to keep important software up-to-date. By now means are these repositories required for your system, and you don’t have to add them if you don’t want to, but it would be a good idea to keep updated. The first is the Nvidia repository: this will give you the current version of the driver you installed (if you decide to use the 1-click installer found through the link in my first post Click Here]), so if there are any updates to the video drivers, you will be asked to install the newer version. The next is the Packman Repository, which has a large selection of great software. Then, the Gnome STABLE repository which has all the stable releases of Gnome software and the Gnome Desktop. After that, the Xorg repository and X11 repository: this will give you the current X.org software to keep X-Server up-to-date. One note: be sure to click the links below, and then copy the URL from the address bar of the new tab, rather than directly copying what is linked below.

OpenSUSE 11.0 Repositories

The complete list of repositories can be found here: Click here

To add a repository, do the follow:

1. Open YaST
  2. Enter the root password
  3. Select “Software Repositories” under the “Software” heading
  4. Wait for the repositories to refresh
  5. Click the “Add” button
  6. Select “Specify URL…” and then click “Next”
  7. Enter the URL and then name the repository
  8. Click the “Next” button
  9. Once you are finished adding, click “OK” in the bottom-right