Unable to open tar.gz archives

I seem to be having a problem with opening tar.gz files with ark in dolphin. It just hangs then eventually gives up. Any more instances of this? Using Opensuse 11.3 with KDE 4.6 beta.

Hello Angelbeast,

Are you sure the problem isn’t with the archive?
Could you post the output when you run ark from terminal?

Good luck!:wink:

Hidey ho Edward! Thanks for responding. I’m pretty sure it’s nt with the archive since it does it on all tar.gz files. Here’s the output from the terminal.

ark: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/kde4/kerfuffle_libarchive.so: undefined symbol: archive_read_disk_new

Hello Angelbeast,

Strange, the file causing this problem is inside ark’s package.
This means that it is changed afterwards, or you have installed a wrong package.

How did you install KDE 4.6? Which repo?

Look if there’s an update available for ark.
If not run this command:

rpm -V ark

It should return nothing, if it does try reinstalling ark.

Nope that command didn’t return anything at all. And i got the kde from the kde factory repo?

Index of /repositories/KDE:/Distro:/Factory/openSUSE_11.3

Des that look right?

Hello Angelbeast,

This repo is AFAIK all right, as long as all the KDE packages are from that repo.

Could you post the output of this command:

rpm -qa ark

Factory packages may cause problems, so if you can not solve this problem soon, you should report it (that’s what Factory releases are for).

I would still try to reinstall Ark.

ron@linux-mhhq:~> rpm -qa ark
ark-4.5.90-164.3.i586

There you go…I thank you for your help but it’s time for me to go visit my pillow LOL … I’ll check back in a few hours…

@gropiuskalle Yeh i think that might be my next step is to reinstall it…that will teach it to behave hehe

Angelbeast wrote:
> that will teach it to behave hehe

speaking of behaving, how about next time you post questions about
beta software in the forum made for that purpose:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-help-here/pre-release-beta/

it is in that forum that the largest number of your fellow software
testers meet to compare notes and launch their bug reports to bugzilla…

and by the way, the question you asked in your first post “Any more
instances of this?” should be most easily answered by searching
bugzilla, here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports#Searching_for_bugs

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]
I feel annoyed that I can’t put my wide range of languages on stupid
Facebook. For example, I speak Sarcasm, fluently spoken and written,
and Various Forms of Geek…

Please, in the future, start your threads about unreleased software in the Prerelease/Beta Forum.
People using released versions are then not alerted for nothing and for you it is a better place to meet co-testers.

I will move this thread there.

Moved to Prerelease/Beta.

Wow…I just did it ALL wrong didn’t i? LOL … My apologies…I was not aware that ark was considered an actual part of kde 4.6 beta. I merely thought it was just a utility and not kde 4.6 itself. I also was not aware that i had a beta version of ark. Silly me :slight_smile: Sorry

IMHO everything that is not in the OSS, nonOSS or Update repos of an openSUSE release, but newer is prerelease/beta.

I have a probably related problem. openSUSE 11.2 x86_64, ark 2.16 from ark-4.6.0-171.5.x86_64 KDE Distro Factory
Index of /repositories/KDE:/Distro:/Factory/openSUSE_11.2

When I try to open a tar or tar.gz file with ark, started from terminal, I see the terminal message:

ark: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/kde4/kerfuffle_libarchive.so: undefined symbol: archive_read_disk_new

and then the ark window disappears without throwing up a crash dialog box.

Fixed by updating libarchive2 from 2.5.5-x86_64 to 2.8.4-2.1-x86_64 from KDE Distro Factory.
The debug version of this package shows that this symbol is there.
> nm /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib64/libarchive.so.2.8.4.debug|grep archive_read_disk_new
000000000000f6f0 T archive_read_disk_new

The original poster should try updating libarchive2 as I did.