Unable to mount audio CD

When I insert an audio CD into the drive on my laptop, I hear the disk start to spin and the head move, but I do not get an icon appear on the desktop for me to select and mount or open. In the Settings Manager under Removable Drives and Media, I have ticked Play audio CDs when inserted and given the command as /usr/bin/sound-juicer. That program starts running, so the operating system has detected the CD’s presence, but sound-juicer first gives the message

Retrieving track listing. Wait

and then

Sound juicer could not read the track listing on this CD. 
Reason: Cannot access CD: The specified location is not mounted

The only program that I can get to play the CD is VLC, which apparently does not require the CD to be mounted to play it.

The absence of an icon on the Desktop is what is bothering me. Without that, I have no way of mounting it to examine its contents with anything other than VLC which doesn’t give the contents.

There are no error messages in /var/log/messages. After booting the computer there are the messages

2020-01-01T07:30:57.560901+11:00 hp1 kernel:    10.009099] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
2020-01-01T07:30:57.560902+11:00 hp1 kernel:    10.009102] cdrom: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
2020-01-01T07:30:57.560904+11:00 hp1 kernel:    10.009310] sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0

and after inserting the CD, the following appears in /var/log/messages

2020-01-01T08:09:22.818152+11:00 hp1 dbus-daemon[1124]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.hostname1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.hostname1.service' requested by ':1.54' (uid=1000 pid=4327 comm="/usr/bin/sound-juicer ")
2020-01-01T08:09:22.821977+11:00 hp1 systemd[1]: Starting Hostname Service...
2020-01-01T08:09:22.873226+11:00 hp1 dbus-daemon[1124]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.hostname1'
2020-01-01T08:09:22.873535+11:00 hp1 systemd[1]: Started Hostname Service.

Does anyone have any advice? I am using XFCE for my desktop manager.

You may need to add the cdrom group to your profile in YaST>Users and security.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried that and also rebooted, but it has made no difference.

Audio CDs don’t get mounted. There’s no file system as such. However file managers such as Dolphin can allow users to view the tracks of an audio CD. Dolphin does this by directly accessing the device, using the ‘audiocd:/’ KIO. Which desktop environment are you using?

I am using XFCE.
I have downloaded dolphin and it can see that a CD is in the drive and is identified as audiocd:/?device=/dev/sr0. In the past with earlier versions of OpenSuse, I have been able to use sound-juicer to extract particular tracks from a CD, and although you say that an audio CD can’t be mounted, that was possible and a necessary step before sound-juicer could access the contents of the CD. In trying to use Dolphin now, it does not seem to have any way to do this either on my machine. No contents are displayed. Is something else needed?

Hard to say what the issue is. I know that gvfs has a CDDA backend that can be used to mount as a virtual filesystem, so you could try something like

gio mount cdda://sr0

What is returned?

For more info…

man gio

If you can successfully mount the virtual filesystem, try running sound juicer. Does it now find the disc/tacks?

FWIW, this seems to be well-known behaviour (not distro-specific) with XFCE…
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=290748
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8999

That gio command works like magic, thanks. It gives no response in the command window, but the drive audibly responds. The File Manager (Thunar) lists the device at the end of the regular places in the file system as “/ on sr0”, and if I click on it it lists the .wav files on the CD. sound-juicer is then able to access the disc and list the same tracks as separate items. [Dolphin does not give me any selectable items, but I don’t need it.]
I have set that gio command to run automatically when a CD is inserted in the drive and it works beautifully.

Thanks very much for that advice. Very much appreciated.

Glad to have been of help.

BTW, if desired you could create a small script to invoke the mount, wait a small period of time, and launch your CD-ripping utility all at once.