Unable to Disable Print Screen Key in GNOME Desktop

I am a new-ish Linux developer, coming from a MS Windows background, so please bear with me here…

I have researched this particular problem for a couple of days now, and have explored some of the suggested solutions without success, other than learning much more about Linux. I am hoping someone can offer some good advice.

I am working on a kiosk right now and as part of the application, I need to disable the Print Screen keyboard button.

I have used ‘xmodmap’ to map keycode 111 to NoSymbol, but that is not stopping the Snapshot dialog from appearing.

I am using OpenSuSE 10.3 with a GNOME desktop on an IBM PC with a Logitech USB keyboard.

I have tried swapping the keyboard with a PS/2 keyboard to see if that was the problem, but it was not.

The strange thing is that when I use VNC 4.1.3 Free Edition to remote into this system from another IBM PC (Windows XP Pro OS), I am able to use the xmodmap -e “keycode 111 = NoSymbol” command to successfully prevent the Snapshot dialog from appearing.

Is there some kind of keyboard mapping override or shortcut mapping going on here when I am logged into the Linux box locally, but is not happening remotely?

Please advise.

Not sure, but take a look in gnome control center -> keyboardshortcuts. Disable the 2 printscreen keys there.

Did that…but what i need to know is how can disable the print screen key from command line or shell code.

> I am using OpenSuSE 10.3 with a GNOME desktop

i don’t know what the executable is named in GNOME, but on my 10.3
with KDE3 it is /opt/kde3/bin/ksnapshot

i’d guess if you renamed it to (say)
/opt/kde3/bin/ksnapshot.NOT
then it couldn’t be found, and couldn’t pop-up…

of course that might cause a error dialog…and, is anyway a
cludge…probably better would be to (first learn the executable name
in GNOME, you can do that in the menu with a right click, in KDE
anyway) and then use YaST to uninstall…

maybe.

palladium
seeding 11.2 DVD (64) and GNOME Live CD (32 & 64)

Got it! run gconf-editor
key is /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_screenshot
set to “disabled”