Unable to control the brightness on my Dell Studio 15

The brightness is just one of the function keys that won’t work. f4 f5.is there any driver I can download to make them work?. The sound controls f7 f8 f9 work perfectly

:open_mouth:

No drivers required.
I would try a different kernel. You will either have ‘default’ ‘desktop’ or ‘pae’
But it’s tricky if you are new to it

Can you adjust it from the slider in the battery monitor

The adjuster is there but it doesn’t seem to do anything.
The brightness doesn’t seem to be to bad the way it is.
But would be nice to be able to make it slightly darker.
What easiest way to try another Kernel without breaking anything else? I have vmware running. I have crossover 8 running. I only tried to update my kernel once and was not successful. I don’t even remember the steps.:stuck_out_tongue:

It’s just that my install defaulted to kernel-desktop but power management was borked, my display would always boot up Dim, minimum brightness and the power controls did not work. BUT my Fn buttons did work. They would bring brightness back up to max, but at next boot / login back to Dim.

I switched to kernel-default and it works perfectly.

Not sure what you mean.
My screen stays the same all the time.
maybe would make it slightly darker.

You switched it to kernel-default where?

Not sure where that setting is.:expressionless:

It’s maybe a bit complicated for you to try. At least considering you don’t have the foggiest what I am on about:)

The kernel is the core of your operating system, central to everything that happens. But there are variations in it.

Open a terminal and post result of this

uname -a

Here is the output below

linux-bma3:/ # uname -a
Linux linux-bma3 2.6.31.8-0.1-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2009-12-15 23:55:40 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
linux-bma3:/ #

:expressionless:

So you are using kernel-desktop 32bit

Post result of:

rpm --query --all '*kernel*'

Here is the output below

linux-bma3:~ # rpm --query --all ‘kernel
kernel-source-2.6.31.8-0.1.1.noarch
kernel-pae-devel-2.6.31.8-0.1.1.i586
kernel-default-devel-2.6.31.8-0.1.1.i586
kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.31.8-0.1.1.i586
kernel-syms-2.6.31.8-0.1.1.i586
kernel-firmware-20090821-4.1.noarch
kernel-debug-devel-2.6.31.8-0.1.1.i586
kernel-desktop-2.6.31.8-0.1.1.i586
kernel-debug-2.6.31.8-0.1.1.i586
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.31.8-0.1.1.i586
linux-kernel-headers-2.6.31-3.4.noarch

rotfl!

An interesting list

One of the Moderators has a Dell Studio I think, let me nudge him privately and link him to this thread.

In the mean time notice this
HCL/Laptops/Dell - openSUSE

Yes, I do have a Dell Studio 1537 laptop running openSUSE-11.1 with KDE-4.3.4. It has the Radeon HD3450 graphics.

I confess I have never tried to play with this. Currently I have too much on my plate to even consider looking at it (if it does not “just work”). My guess we are looking at the Summer of 2010 before I could get around to this (given my other priorities) and by then openSUSE-11.3 will not be far away. So I’m afraid I won’t be much help here. My apologies.