I foolishly installed the newest kernel update… now I can’t boot anymore.
Once I rebooted, grub presented me it’s friendly console. I’ve used the installation DVD to check the boot partition, everything ok, except menu.lst and menu.lst.old having a size of 0 bytes …
So I tried
grub> kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/system/root
grub> initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd
which only leads to a kernel panic, since the given ‘root’ parameter seems invalid:
VFS: Cannot open root device “system/root” or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct “root=” boot option; here are the available partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
All that seems wrong so far is the absence of any valid menu.lst. On the other hand, this is my first machine using lvm and dm-crypt(or something else?) and I don’t know the right kernel command line
Can anyone give me a hint on what parameters are needed?
The setup (created by 11.3 installation GUI):
Both LVM partitions go into the volume group ‘system’, to be mounted as follows:
/dev/system/home /home (crypted)
Thanks in advance,
In your root partition
Is there by any chance a menu at /boot/grub/menu.lst
FYI: I never use anything but standard partitioning (swap, root, home) saves any heartache
Hmm, /boot/ on root partition completely empty … actually, the update wrote the kernel and initrd onto the boot partition, and set up the right symlinks, but completely killed the menu.lst, so that partition was mounted on /boot correctly.
Yeah, I usually prefer simple setups too
First step would be to tell the kernel that the root partition is in the volume group ‘system’… I’ve tried root=/dev/system/root and root=/dev/mapper/system-root, no luck so far… most probably there will be missing some luks entries when the home partition needs to be mounted… I’m a complete novice concerning lvm and dm-crypt…
I’m a complete novice concerning lvm and dm-crypt…
Sorry I can’t really advise further.
Try writing a simple boot menu to menu.lst
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
That’s probably a load of old cobblers for your setup.
no problem, at least some emotional support …
so, now I’m able to boot, except being unable to reach runlevel 5 … I recreated the initial ramdisk.
In case anyone else needs this:
- Boot a rescue system
- mkdir /newroot
- mount /dev/system/root /newroot
- mount -o bind /dev /newroot/dev
- chroot /newroot /bin/bash
- mount /dev/sda1 /boot
Now the crypted home partition can’t be mounted … I’ll get myself another coffee, I can’t imagine being the only one with a more esoteric setup messed up by the security update… if anyone else succeeds earlier, let me now
ok, should’ve removed the ro from the kernel command line, now almost everything is fine, though some service is complaining…
and these are the grub commands so far:
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/mapper/system-root
Can anyone paste a standard menu.lst from a standard openSuSE installation, I’d like to fix things up as closely as possible… most probably I’m still missing some options.
Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sat Jul 10 09:58:32 BST 2010
THIS FILE WILL BE PARTIALLY OVERWRITTEN by perl-Bootloader
Configure custom boot parameters for updated kernels in /etc/sysconfig/bootloader
##YaST - generic_mbr
##YaST - activate
###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title Desktop – openSUSE 11.3 - 2.6.34-12
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34-12-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-FUJITSU_MJA2250BH_G2_K95CT9A2D4UF-part5 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-FUJITSU_MJA2250BH_G2_K95CT9A2D4UF-part2 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x314
###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe – openSUSE 11.3 - 2.6.34-12
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34-12-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-FUJITSU_MJA2250BH_G2_K95CT9A2D4UF-part5 showopts apm=off noresume edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 nomodeset x11failsafe vga=0x314
Actually mine just changed as I just this minute did a kernel update
Thanks, now everything’s back to normal.
I guess the initrd should’ve been recreated, but it wasn’t. The menu.lst was truncated, resulting in an empty file.
I guess some process incorporated by the update died prematurely.
This issue is resolved.