unable to boot after update

Hi I have been using OpenSuse tumbleweed on my Lenovo Edge 560 since May this year with no issues with regular systems updates (zypper up once a week, sometimes more).

However after an update I run today I am unable to boot into the system. The boot output screen get to the point where it activates the network services OK ] and then go to the next step “Start local service” OK ] and then it loops in that state ( I literally went shopping for 3hrs and when I got back was still tuck in that loop :).

Does anyone experience similar issue, or know how to fix this.

Thanks,

I can only say that my system booted without problems, after today’s update.

Sorry, that’s not much help for you.

(Particular system is a Lenovo ThinkServer TS140, with 64-bit Tumbleweed).

Not trying to hijack the thread, but the latest update with kernel 4.7.5-1 broke networking on my laptop; both wireless and ethernet. I can boot up and log into wallet to start networking, and both wireless and ethernet are shown as connected, but both Firefox and Thunderbird report “server not found.” It’s not hardware, since the laptop dual-boots Tumbleweed and Linux Mint 17.3, and Mint is working normally. How do I troubleshoot this?

Update: I found another thread here that solved this problem. Evidently the recent update corrupts /etc/resolv.conf. The fix is: rcnetwork stop; rm /etc/resolv.conf; rcnetwork start.

On 09/30/2016 10:26 PM, Metapsych wrote:
>
> Not trying to hijack the thread, but the latest update with kernel
> 4.7.5-1 broke networking on my laptop; both wireless and ethernet. I
> can boot up and log into wallet to start networking, and both wireless
> and ethernet are shown as connected, but both Firefox and Thunderbird
> report “server not found.” It’s not hardware, since the laptop
> dual-boots Tumbleweed and Linux Mint 17.3, and Mint is working normally.
> How do I troubleshoot this?
>
>

As previously reported, check your /etc/resolv.conf file for nameserver
entries.

Ken
linux since 1994
S.u.S.E./openSUSE since 1996

Well, still haven’t solved the problem but got an update.

My system eventually boots up, once I let him sit there for anything between 60-100 min. Then the network while it is operational, the tray icon shows network disabled.

I have run the zypper up & dup numerous types and got few updates but nothing that fixed the issue.

If anyone figures this out, please share.

Already did so, but here it is

sudo rcnetwork stop
sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf
sudo rcnetwork start