Tune up boot parameters

Hi,

After a fresh install I tried to tune up my kernel boot parameters, but this time the SUSE way, with sysconfig, not by simply editing the grub config file. So, what I want to modify is that the initrd file to include a 1024x768 resolution splash screen instead the 800x600 one and to remove the resume partition from the kernel command line, because I don’t use hibernation at all.
So to achieve this I modified the parameters in System/Bootloader: DEFAULT_VGA = 792 and removed the resume=… part from DEFAULT_APPEND, but it seems that it is not enough. Can somebody help me?

Thanks!

Which version of openSUSE are you running? Which desktop?

On 2011-11-11 23:16, inp3dance wrote:

> So to achieve this I modified the parameters in System/Bootloader:
> DEFAULT_VGA = 792 and removed the resume=… part from DEFAULT_APPEND,
> but it seems that it is not enough. Can somebody help me?

The modification is not applied until you install a kernel.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I’m running 12.1 KDE. But I don’t know how much the OS version or the desktop env. matters here, because it’s about sysconfig.
There is no command/method to force the update of the grub config file? Like update-grub on debian based systems. There should be something … I don’t believe there isn’t.
What about the splash screen resolution? There should be a config option for that too somewhere …

I asked about the OS version, because hibernation can be prevented or allowed via polkit, and the exact method changes, depending on the PolicyKit implementation in the particular version concerned. I’m not sure about 12.1, but with 11.4 at least, the policies are controlled by pkla files located in

/var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor.d/

The org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate.pkla file controls the ability to hibernate. For reference, I have it enabled

# cat org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate.pkla
[org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate]
Identity=unix-group:*
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate
ResultAny=auth_admin
ResultInactive=auth_admin
ResultActive=yes

On 2011-11-12 23:06, inp3dance wrote:
> There is no command/method to force the update of the grub config file?

Maybe when you change something in yast bootloader module. You change for
example the timeout to force it apply changes.

> What about the splash screen resolution? There should be a config
> option for that too somewhere …

Dunno.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

There is no command/method to force the update of the grub config file? Like update-grub on debian based systems. There should be something … I don’t believe there isn’t.

You’re thinking of grub2’ update-grub utility. OpenSUSE still uses legacy grub.

Have a read of this thread:

updategrub for openSUSE Legacy Grub (not update-grub!)

You can also set your preferences vi Yast

This would change not only the current /boot/grub/menu.lst but also any files needed to configure for future updates.