Tumbleweed WideVine Browser issue

I’m having an issue watching DRM video content with Vivaldi 1.11.917.39 (Stable channel) (64-bit) and Firefox 56.0.

The issue is Amazon Video gives me a Digital Rights Error.
“For the Widevine Content Decryption Module, select Always Activate, and then refresh the video’s page and try watching the video.”

The things I’ve tried to remediate this issue is to update Firefox to the latest version, I’ve installed Widevine via the following script https://gist.github.com/ruario/3c873d43eb20553d5014bd4d29fe37f1, and I’ve also updated the video codecs on my laptop using http://opensuse-community.org/.

I was hoping that updating Firefox from 53 to 56 would have helped resolved the issue, it did work on an Ubuntu VM I spun up to test.
If it helps narrow things down I have 3 different desktop environments installed, KDE, GNOME and XFCE. I’m trying to stick to XFCE at the moment.

What I’m trying next is to update the NVidea Drivers.

Anyone get this to work on their machine?

Firefox is supposed to ship with a bundled Widevine CDM
it’s possible that that module is not opensourced but a binary blob and not included in the openSUSE builds you can try a static build from mozilla the current release build being 56.0.1 (I haven’t tested it)
or use a chromium based browser with chromium-plugin-widevinecdm as far as I could tell the above script is for vivaldi a chromium based browser and will not work in Firefox
you could use Chromium or Vivaldi with chromium-plugin-widevinecdm
if you use Vivaldi from packman don’t forget to install chromium-ffmpeg-extra or Vivladi won’t play restricted formats (mp4 mp3 aac etc)

another option known to work but be a bit of a hustle is installing Firefox for Windows under Wine as that build does include a widevinecdm

Thanks I_A. I shut down my laptop last night and then started up the next day and it worked. I cleared cache and restarted the browser of course the night previous doing my testing. But something else must have been reset in the shutdown/startup process.

So far I’ve only tested FireFox on the KDE desktop. So glad it’s working, now I can return to my shows.


I’ll keep trying to get Vivaldi to work and post fixes.

I was playing arround with vivaldi from packman and noticed that it would not play mp4 files if chromium-ffmpeg-extra was not installed
this is a bit confusing as Cnromium no longer uses chromium-ffmpeg and that package was dropped, I’m not sure about the vivaldi package from vivaldi
as the restricted formats are a legal nightmare I do believe any enterprise that uses it needs to pay the mpeg-la a fie per device that can do mp4 decoding this means nothing to google as they’re trillionares
but mozilla uses the system np4 decoders (if present) I doubt vivaldi have the money to pay for each install of their free browser