Tumbleweed - Can't play sound through second monitor

Hi,

I recently setup a new laptop with Tumbleweed. I use a program called “pasystray” and usually when I am plugged into my large second monitor, I can select the monitor and play the sound through the large second monitor. However “pasystray” is not detecting the second monitor so I can only play sound through the actual laptop.

I am not sure how to find out which packaage I need to install so “pasystray” detects the second monitor. With previous laptops with OpenSuse it usually picked it up automatically(was with AMD).

My laptop is Intel based:

CPU: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700H (20) @ 5.00 GHz
GPU: Intel Iris Xe Graphics

The output of head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec* is:

==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 <==
Codec: Realtek ALC256

==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#2 <==
Codec: Intel Raptor Lake P HDMI

Output of rpm -q alsa alsa-utils alsa-firmware is:

alsa-1.2.11-1.2.x86_64
alsa-utils-1.2.11-2.2.x86_64
alsa-firmware-1.2.4-4.6.noarch

And my large second monitor is “Asus”. How can I find out which package I need for “pasystray” to detect the scond monitor for sound?

@rousty Hi, Tumbleweed uses pipewire, from the name of the application I assume it’s a pulse-audio app?

Is pipewire-pulseaudio installed? What desktop environment is use?

Yes it’s “Pulse Audio System Tray” here:

Yes I have pipewire-pulseaudio installed:

'pipewire-pulseaudio-1.0.4-2.1.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.

I am using XFCE and Qtile.

@rousty @deano_ferrari or @oldcpu may have some pointers, but a quick google on XFCE pipewire applet shows it lacking or users having issues… maybe browse the XFCE forum?

I have an old MacbookPro/Intel with Leap on it and it just works/detects it.

I have a Lenovo/AMD with Tumbleweed and it just worked detected it.

This laptop is Tuxedo/Intel and its not detecting it.

I’ll keep looking and post back if I find a solution.

Thanks for help.

@rousty No need for pasystray for xfce. The pulseaudio panel plugin can help you with it.

Thanks for reply @conram.

I have a bit of a Frankenstein setup. I use XFCE as the base, but I disable the XFCE window manager and XFCE panel and I use Qtile on top of XFCE. So I don’t have the XFCE panel.

Like what is described here:

So just run pavucontrol.

Look for the available HDMI connections that will work.

That worked, thanks a million @conram.

I was able to open pavucontrol → configuration → and select the large HDMI monitor output from dropdown.

When I connect a bluetooth headphone “pasystray” allows me to choose between the built in stero or the headphones. So it’s just something about the large second monitor pasystray doesn’t like.

Anyway, can get sound working through second plugged in monitor now. Thanks again, that’s great.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.