Trying to install uTorrent but... I'm a noob

On their site I see debian versions and ubuntu versions of utorrent to download, but no open suse. Could someone tell me how to install utorrent please?

Thanks
Astralgoci

I didn’t even know there was a Linux version…

I prefer KTorrent anyway. That’s a KDE application and is included in the standard repos.
You can install it with YaST->Software Management.

On 2014-02-08, Astralogic <Astralogic@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> On their site I see debian versions and ubuntu versions of utorrent to
> download, but no open suse. Could someone tell me how to install
> utorrent please?

Hmm, not even a tar.gz. It’s probably not even open source and if they’re only going to provide deb-based binaries, that
(for me) what be sufficient reason not to use it.

If you really want it on openSUSE, have you checked for an rpm at http://rpm.pbone.net ?

… since they’re Fedora-biased, prepare yourself for the possibility of dependency hell however.

Found it and installed it but it’s not in my menu :frowning: How can I run it?

I will give Ktorrent a try even if I get utorrent working.

I believe that uTorrent for linux only has server version, which only has Web UI that you can run from web browser but no desktop GUI available.

I’m using qbittorrent right now. It has functionality uTorrent offer but it is open source software and not loaded with bloatware. I even replace uTorrent on my windows machine sometimes ago with it.

Wow, qbittorrent looks really interesting.

I would really like the same torrent program in windows and in linux, so that I can use either OS to resume files. From past experiences it seems that different torrent program’s incomplete files are not compatible with each other. So, I’m gonna install qbittorrent in both linux and windows :slight_smile: Thanks for the great suggestion.

Edit: Should I install qbittorrent from Yast or should I go the website and get it from there?

I found it in yast! It’s installed and running fine, thanks for the help.

when it comes to linux, the first place where you look for an apps is in the distribution repository.
downloading a package from the internet is the last resort.

Glad it works for you!

I used to use Transmission. It worked fine but qBittorrent offers more functionality that I found useful. Such as automatic shutdown and built in search engine whilst they keep the interface simple and the application lightweight. uTorrent no longer an option with their bundled bloatware on their new releases. kTorrent looks nice but yes I don’t think they available on WIndows.

ktorrent has an option to “use uTorrent transport protocol (utp)”

so it may be possible to use ktorrent to resume files started in utorrent?
I haven’t tested it so I’m not sure.