Triple monitor setup with Nvidia 560 and onboard Intel 4600

Hello,

I just installed openSUSE 13.1 (with KDE) and on Windows I run three monitors, two on my Geforce 560 and one on the onboard Intel 4600 (on my i5-4570) I’ve been googling for a while but I can’t seem to get that third monitor to work in openSUSE. Do anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

It’s not a trivial exercise to configure, and a lot depends on the graphics hardware concerned. Some previous discussions on the subject:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/495249-Dual-Graphic-Card-and-Dual-Monitor-Problem

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/477331-12-1-kde-triple-monitor-two-graphic-cards-nouveau-instead-nvidia#post2479317

Well, I just can’t get the onboard gpu and the third monitor to show up, I’ll take a look at those topics though. I hope I can get it to work with my (close to) non-existant Linux skills :slight_smile: Thanks!

What output do you get for the following commnad:

/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2

Note also if you use the NVIDIA drivers it changes mesa and the Intel won’t work. And just to be clear this is not an optimus notebook right?

/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF114 [GeForce GTX 560] [10de:1201] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:83b5]
        Kernel driver in use: nouveau

Nope, it’s a desktop I built myself

I couldn’t find an edit button, so I had to reply.

I also tried this command, after seeing it in another topic:

sudo /usr/sbin/hwinfo --gfxcard

11: PCI 02.0: 0380 Display controller                           
  [Created at pci.319]
  Unique ID: _Znp.TDe+VIZnSj4
  SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0
  SysFS BusID: 0000:00:02.0
  Hardware Class: graphics card
  Model: "Intel Display controller"
  Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
  Device: pci 0x0412 
  SubVendor: pci 0x1462 "Micro-Star International Co., Ltd."
  SubDevice: pci 0x7846 
  Revision: 0x06
  Driver: "i915"
  Driver Modules: "drm"
  Memory Range: 0xf6400000-0xf67fffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
  Memory Range: 0xd0000000-0xdfffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
  I/O Ports: 0xf000-0xf03f (rw)
  IRQ: 48 (53 events)                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
  Module Alias: "pci:v00008086d00000412sv00001462sd00007846bc03sc80i00"                                                                                                                                                                   
  Driver Info #0:                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    Driver Status: i915 is active                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe i915"                                                                                                                                                                                                
  Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown                                                                                                                                                                               

23: PCI 100.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)                                                                                                                                                                                       
  [Created at pci.319]                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
  Unique ID: VCu0.S48Zam5jV38                                                                                                                                                                                                             
  Parent ID: vSkL.xWu1YJMxSFE                                                                                                                                                                                                             
  SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0                                                                                                                                                                                 
  SysFS BusID: 0000:01:00.0                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  Hardware Class: graphics card                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  Model: "nVidia VGA compatible controller"                                                                                                                                                                                               
  Vendor: pci 0x10de "nVidia Corporation"                                                                                                                                                                                                 
  Device: pci 0x1201                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
  SubVendor: pci 0x1043 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."                                                                                                                                                                                           
  SubDevice: pci 0x83b5                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  Revision: 0xa1
  Driver: "nouveau"
  Driver Modules: "drm"
  Memory Range: 0xf4000000-0xf5ffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
  Memory Range: 0xe0000000-0xe7ffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
  Memory Range: 0xe8000000-0xebffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
  I/O Ports: 0xe000-0xefff (rw)
  Memory Range: 0xf6000000-0xf607ffff (ro,non-prefetchable,disabled)
  IRQ: 16 (20958 events)
  I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
  Module Alias: "pci:v000010DEd00001201sv00001043sd000083B5bc03sc00i00"
  Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: nvidiafb is not active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe nvidiafb"
  Driver Info #1:
    Driver Status: nouveau is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe nouveau"
  Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
  Attached to: #10 (PCI bridge)

Primary display adapter: #23

So are you trying to run the NVIDA driver? Keep to the OS driver

This is the situation after a clean installation. I have no idea how to change such a thing but I’ll look into it, thanks!

Hmmph, wasn’t expecting that grepping the lspci output to be missing “VGA” for the Intel adapter … perhaps they’ve switched to calling them simply “Display controller” now. (Time to adjust troubleshooting 101 to: /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -e “VGA” -e “Display” -A2 )

Anyway, the hwinfo output appears to show that the intel adapter is configed just fine.

You should be able to achieve what you want simply with xrandr now.

If you want to check the basic requirement is met (i.e. see the relevant section of “man xrandr”):

xrandr --listproviders

if so, then issue

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 1 0   

After that you should be able to turn the additional monitor on via xrandr itself or through a frontend to it … try using kscreen (if you’re running KDE), as it should be self evident.
And then after that, setup the above in a startup script so that its all evoked automagically each time you boot.

What kernel are you using? (run “uname -r”) … you might want to update to a newer kernel to get the benefits of dynamic runtime power management (don’t remember which kernel it was added to the nouveau or intel kernel drivers) … it will save you battery life

If you want to switch to the nvidia prop. drivers, consult the nvidia release documentation, as it outlines the steps you need to take.

Disregard the point about runtime power mgmt … I was starting to confuse things by thinking about hybrid laptops

nothing to change if you have not installed the NVIDIA driver it is not there forget about it.

This worked perfectly, thanks a lot!