Tri-booting Vista/suse/7

I’ve had this problem before I switched from Ubuntu, so it may lie in being a GRUB issue rather than a suse issue.

I have 2 hard drives:

320gb WD cav blue: Vista/Linux

640gb WD cav black: Win7/storage

My problem is this: basically, i want to gt rid of the necessity of the Windows Boot manager and have ONLY GRUB as my boot manager. However, all options I have as-of-yet tried, I can either only get WBM to boot, or an MBR error. I can’t remember all the details of what exact disk designator my boot records are on because I am at work, but I remember some.

note: I have not yet modified the grub/menu.lst, i’ve only tried through the default app (yaST is it? I’m still a rookie to linux in general, let alone my ~1 week with openSUSE, so excuse my noobishness).

Thank you ahead of time for the help.

Get into a root console in SUSE (i.e. open a console/terminal, and type ‘su’, then your root password), then type

grub
find /boot/grub/menu.lst

Grub will give you partition names in grub notation, (hdx,y).

Type

cat (hdx,y)/boot/grub/menu.lst

For each partition that grub told you (there should be one for each linux installation you have that has /boot in root - which is all of them, unless you’ve set it up differently).

Grub will print out the menu files. On of them is your SUSE menu - easily recognizable by the fact that it sprinkles the term “YaST2 identifier” throughout, and YaST is SUSE specific.

This is your SUSE partition. So using the correct X and Y you’ve just identified, run

root (hdx,y)
setup (hdx)
quit

Make sure that hard drive is set to boot first in the BIOS, and then we can set about fixing any Windows options in the menu - if they don’t work, boot SUSE, get to a root terminal, and give us the output of

fdisk -l
cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

Et voila!

Thank you! Like i said, I’m at work right now, but I will try it out once I get home tonight and report back. Thanks again.

Thinking about it, your sensible course of action is probably to get both Windows systems booting from the grub menu before you try to install grub as the primary bootloader.

So; do the entries for Windows in grub work?

Only to get to the Windows boot manager.

I’ve been reading some more on it, and it is starting to seem like it’s either a) not possible, or b) more difficult than I am comfortable handling myself. That’s not to say I won’t try

Hehehe… A slightly foolhardy attitude to breaking your system definitely helps for learning this sort of thing. :wink:

Well, post the output of ‘fdisk -l’ and ‘cat /boot/grub/menu.lst’, and hopefully somebody will have an idea…

Good luck!

Found this - the last post is interesting, if you can find the requisite files, sounds like you can do it…

Debian User Forums • View topic - Grub

Last night was a rough night. I did’nt get a chance to sit down until it was time for bed.

Interesting indeed. I think it’s time for a format/reinstall anyways. Thanks for further investigating the problem. I will update tonight.

On second thought, I have been contemplating just wiping Vista completely from my system since I never use it. The only reason I am hesitant to do so is because I am still on the RC of Win7. I am not sure when I will be able to purchase the retail and I need a solid Winblows OS for my games. Howver, said OS is taking up a substantial amount of potential backup/storage space. We shall see.

>:)Maybe time for multiple *nix distro’s???>:)