Toshiba Satellite M305D S4830 no ACPI

Hi,

I have the following problem with my Toshiba Satellite M305D S4830. I succeeded in installing OpenSuse11.1. The only way I could do it was by having the kernel with acpi=off. How can I make it work with ACPI on?

You probably can’t. acpi=off instructs the kernel to not use the acpi tables produced by the bios, but instead to use an alternate method of detecting the hardware. Surprisingly, problems with bios acpi tables are not at all uncommon. What is your concern?

Hi Mingus,

I had to run the kernel with the option acpi=off. When I do not choose this option the system halts while loading.
I would like to have the acpi working, as at present I can not turn the machine off, unless I press the power button.

Helio

Open a terminal and do:

su -
shutdown -h now

What happens?

Hi Mingus,

It happens the same as reported before. The system shutdowns but the computer remains energized and the screen on. In order to de-energize the computer it is necessary to press the power button.

Helio

What happens when you try this:

shutdown -h -P now

Hi Mingus,

Still the same. The laptop remains energized. To turn it off I need to press the power button.

Helio

I’m afraid I’m out of my depth at this point. Let me suggest you start a new thread in the Hardware forum with a title like “Laptop will not power off” and then explain that to boot requires acpi=off but results in shutdown not working properly. You will get better help that way. Good luck.

Should have thought of this before . . . instead of acpi=off, try each of the following:

pci=acpi 

acpi=noirq	

acpi_irq_balance 	

acpi_irq_nobalance

Hi Mingus,

Iĺl try your suggestion at the Hardware.

I tryed pci=acpi and acpi=noirq

I did not try the last two.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

Helio

Hi Folks,

I did succeed sorting out this issue.

Malcolm (see my post on another forum section) was very helpful and sent me the file. After receiving the file, all that was necessary was to install the linux sources and run the following 2 commands:

cd /usr/src/linux/Documentation/acpi

# sh initramfs-add-dsdt.sh /boot/initrd-2.6.27.19-3.2-default /home/helio/DSDT.aml

Now I will follow on trying to sort ou internal microphone and modem.

Helio

That’s great.

I tip my hat to Malcolm! :slight_smile:

LOL, well I tip my hat to the ubuntu user that prepared the file and
user snakedrivers howto " How To Fix Your Buggy DSDT" :wink:

One wonders though how many other users having acpi issues need to
check out their dsdt file?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.15-2-default
up 1:05, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.17, 0.34
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.35

Judging from the number of acpi related issues we seen here, my guess is that the number is not trivial. :wink:

Especially given how how many flakey bios implementations there are (in fairness, the spec itself is a long, vague nightmare, so not surprising).

For reader’s ref, that howto is here How To Fix Your Buggy DSDT.

Thx again, Malcolm.

Dears,

i have the same problem on TOSHIBA Satellite M45 S355 . it was fine, 2 weeks ago (i have openSUSE 10.3 and then 11.0 for almost a year and no other OS ) but now when is shut down, either with “shutdown -h now” or “shutdown -P now” it does everything for a shutdown but the system remains on.

can you please instruct me what u did to fix this? and send me that file?

thanks,