There is no official package available for openSUSE Leap 15.3

It’s me or there are a lot of packages in leap 15.3 with this problem?

I have upgraded recently from 15.2 to 15.3 and I’m experiencing this a lot. It seems that 15.3 not only lacks community and additional repos, it is taht a lot of packages that in 15.2 where in the official repos are not in 15.3 official repos.
I don’t remember something like this when upgrading before (maybe I have forgotten it).

When you do not mention even one of those packages you are missing, how can people here investigate?

Hi
Likely packages that have moved to the SLE side (or repo name changes to 15.3) and using software search… better to use zypper search or or cnf…

I was expressing a feeling because I think it has happened to me several times since I have upgraded. I will collect them from now on. Searching in the history of firefox now I can find:

python3
Leap 15.2 -> official update
Leap 15.3 -> community

gnuradio
15.2 -> hamradio.repo
15.3 -> inexistent

calibre
15.2 -> standar repo
15.3 -> inexistent (I did install it but I don’t remember how)

tigerVNC client
15.2 -> standar repo
15.3 -> inexistent (I did install it but I don’t remember how)

telegram-desktop
15.2 -> standar repo
15.3 -> inexistent (I did install it using snappy)

I know there were some more but I don’t remember which ones.

I’m not sure what you are looking for.

All of those show up when I use the search box in Yast software management. I have calibre installed here from the main repo. And tigervnc is installed here, presumably by default because I did not explicitly install it.

How were you searching for these? They are all available for Leap 15.3.

For example…

dean@linux-4k1z:~> zypper se -s tigervnc telegram-desktop
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S | Name             | Type    | Version          | Arch   | Repository
--+------------------+---------+------------------+--------+---------------------
  | telegram-desktop | package | 2.5.8-bp153.1.14 | x86_64 | openSUSE-Leap-15.3-2
  | telegram-desktop | package | 2.5.8-bp153.1.14 | x86_64 | Main Repository
i | tigervnc         | package | 1.9.0-19.9.1     | x86_64 | openSUSE-Leap-15.3-2
i | tigervnc         | package | 1.9.0-19.9.1     | x86_64 | Main Repository
  | tigervnc-x11vnc  | package | 1.9.0-19.9.1     | noarch | openSUSE-Leap-15.3-2
  | tigervnc-x11vnc  | package | 1.9.0-19.9.1     | noarch | Main Repository
dean@linux-4k1z:~> 

Hi
The gnuradio package is there;

zypper if gnuradio

Information for package gnuradio:
---------------------------------
Repository     : Main Repository
Name           : gnuradio
Version        : 3.8.1.0-bp153.1.96

The backports repo… unless you want the devel repo version which is there…

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/hardware:sdr/gnuradio

repo: https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/hardware:/sdr/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/

Python 3.6 is there?

ls -la `which python3`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Aug 31 03:49 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.6

zypper if python3-base

Information for package python3-base:
-------------------------------------
Repository     : Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
Name           : python3-base
Version        : 3.6.13-10.3.1

Did you disable the SLE repos, or never got added?

C’mon, really. That s.o.o search does not work for 15.3 is known for months (since release of 15.3), it briefly appeared to be fixed and became broken again. Moreover, due to underlying reasons it will probably remain broken forever for all future releases.

Of course you can continue to tell users that it’s their own fault for not using the right tool. But the fact is, that every other Linux distribution I am aware of has web site where you can look up packages available in release. And users may be using such site before installing - to decide whether this distribution has necessary software. With software.opensuse.org they are told that this distribution does not have anything.

openSUSE Search currently offers search for Tumbleweed, Leap 15.1 and Leap 15.2 only. You may verify this by viewing e.g. openSUSE Software Use zypper search instead. The command will find uninstalled packages in the enabled repositories:

[FONT=monospace]**erlangen:~ #** zypper **--reposd-dir /mnt/@/.snapshots/1/snapshot/etc/zypp/repos.d/ --releasever 15.3** search thunderbird 
Warning: Enforced setting: $releasever=15.3 
Loading repository data... 
Reading installed packages... 

S | Name                                   | Summary                                                      | Type 
--+----------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+----------- 
  | MozillaThunderbird                     | An integrated email, news feeds, chat, and newsgroups client | srcpackage 
  | MozillaThunderbird                     | An integrated email, news feeds, chat, and newsgroups client | package 
  | MozillaThunderbird-debuginfo           | Debug information for package MozillaThunderbird             | package 
  | MozillaThunderbird-debugsource         | Debug sources for package MozillaThunderbird                 | package 
  | MozillaThunderbird-translations-common | Common translations for Thunderbird                          | package 
  | MozillaThunderbird-translations-other  | Extra translations for Thunderbird                           | package 
**erlangen:~ #**[/FONT]

Omit the bold text when running the command on Leap 15.3.

I found this to be the case also, many packages on the find a packge pages only cater for leap upto 15.2 and a note saying no package available for 15.3

I have switched to Tumbleweed as a result. My opinion is that Leap is now a freebie server OS and not suitable for ordinary users as a desktop version.

Cheers

This is a technical help -sub-forum. IMHO your “feelings” question belongs more in General Cihtchat.

As I said I don’t remember how I installed most of them, maybe I look for it in the repos and I found them or I did some kind of search… but if you look for them in software.opensuse.org (I think It should be the right place to look for the correct repositories for the packages shouldn’t it?) … a couple of examples

https://susepaste.org/29699980

https://susepaste.org/9867471

I did not know. And I was using software.opensuse.org as THE PLACE to find the right repos to use.
Knowing is now a useless tool I wil try to find it any other way.

I guess that’s a difference of habits. For me, Yast is always the place to look for software. I only go to software.opensuse.org if I cannot find it via Yast. Installing via Yast is easiest when that works, which is most of the time.

But yes, the search on software.opensuse.org is broken at present.

I would say that when you did not at least use YaST (or zypper equivalent) to look in the repos you already have, then you can not say that something is not available.

I use to search with zypper or yast but sometimes I don’t know how is the package called exactly and the search does not work (maybe I don’t use it well) or sometimes it is not in the repos I have, and in this cases a search on the internet return a link to software.opensuse.org that has this information. I has been working well for me for years…

Check the “description” box when searching. Then it looks in the package description as well as the package name. That’s useful when you are not sure of the package name.

Or use the “Provides” checkbox in YaST when you know the name of the program, but not the name of the package.

On top of that I even add “file list”. I found there is a simple workaround for the software.opensuse.org search issue as I am still lazily on 15.2 (will switch before EOL):
After searching for a package I simply follow the 15.2 link and replace 15.2 by 15.3 in the address bar. Et voilà:
Install package openSUSE:Leap:15.3 / calibre
Yeah, that’s rather primitive and won’t help new users but at least it works (yet). If that issue is really that persistant my trick won’t work once 15.2 vanishes from the supported distro list. Still, it’s hard for me to understand why the search shouldn’t ever be able to find what is simply just there.

Hi
Best place if having infrastructure issues is to create a ticket via sending an email to admin {a} opensuse {dot} org.

Also if have suggestions to how to fix or wish to help out, head over to Libra Chat #opensuse-admin IRC channel and talk with the rest of the openSUSE Heroes :wink:

FWIW I use the build service commandline tool for searching, find any package :wink: