The future of OpenSUSE Leap

I’ve tried to do a bit of spot research on the mooted SUSE ALP, and what it seems like to me at least is it’s not intended as an end user desktop OS, but something intended to be deployed in a corporate space, with easy facility to restore back to a given state.

I certainly hope it’s not intended as a replacement but rather another option.

@Babylon5Nut ALP is different than MicroOS/MicroOS Desktop https://microos.opensuse.org/
Portal:MicroOS/Desktop - openSUSE Wiki and Leap Micro openSUSE Leap Micro 5.3 - Get openSUSE

My primary desktop is Tumbleweed, but have a couple of systems running MicroOS Desktop.

I’m trying to find more info of how Leap 16 might look like, but it seems no one knows it at the moment. To me, biggest uncertainty is how base packages and 3rd party (commercial) software (usually distributed as .rpm) will be installed and used. E.g. will be able to use BricsCAD or Lightworks (and Leap 16+ as a professional workstation OS)

@nenadandric you can still install rpms, but desktop apps there is the move to flatpaks as your user… AFAIK flatpaks will come via openSUSE (packages built as rpms and flatpaks) rather than third party vendors.

1 Like

I’m not worried about flatpak and appimage (and maybe even snap) integration. It is expected, and I’m already using those in current machines. That is actually the main reason why I’m thinking to switch from TW to Leap. But some programs will not be distributed in one of these packages, they might require X server, specific OpenGL or java version, etc. E.g. I have MicroOS in VM, and can’t make QCAD to work (libgthread-2.0 missing).

I know it’s too early, but I wouldn’t like to move to 15.4/15.5 now and then to be left without options to upgrade to Leap 16 and to be sure all programs I use will still work. Though I think (or I hope) developers of application programs will adapt to new distributions and ways of packaging in (near) future (openSUSE ALP, Fedora Silverblue/Kinoite, SteamOS…)

Just my two cents. I’m a long time opensuse Leap user (I started in 2003) and I like a traditional desktop (KDE)
with ext4 filesystem (no btrfs, flatpak or snap nonsens here!).
As soon as this isn’t possible anymore, it will be “byebye Suse!” and I’ll probably start using Linux Mint.
I’ll not be forced or tricked into the latest fashion bullshit, specially not at work where I also use Leap.

4 Likes

I can say If there are supported snap packages I will drop instantly. Flatpak and Appimage don’t replace more trialed and reliable solutions like rpm (or deb) but aren’t in themselves an issue to have around…

can’t we have either the audio or video of those conferences? or at least a transliteration?

@rbertoche you do realize that the flatpaks being provided will be made from the very rpms you refer to, as in it will be an openSUSE flatpak repository…

1 Like

Debian is always a good choice.
Why not even consider FreeBSD? Basically, it’s like Linux without the bullshit :wink:

The latest scoop on Leap 16 is it will require btrfs and the bulk (hint - everything but /home /usr and /var) will be a read only file system - kind of like a container.

You cannot upgrade to 16 from 15.5 - it is a full reinstall due to the new read only file format.

This is because SLSE 16 is for corporations that want a secure system and openSUSE depends on SLES for most of the repos.

This will probably break many things like qemu, virtualbox, vagrant, steam, and teamviewer. It might also mean the end of Nvidia support as the kernel is locked down in read only container.

If it does not offer the MATE desktop - I am gone to Mint MATE linux.

Doesn’t this sound like the same madness that Microsoft did to Windows 10 to Windows 11 - sorry you hardware is not longer supported because someone wants more false security.

@larryr you just use transactional-update shell to install ANYTHING! you want shell script, runfile, rpms etc.

I run vagrant and qemu as my user, there is distrobox to run anything you like…

Have you tried it yet? I’ve been running it for over 1 year now, sure it has it quirks, but have most things sorted out.

Use Combustion to setup your system prior to it going read-only.

As you indicated moving to a different distro I wish you all the best.

1 Like

This system dual boots with Windows 10 Pro…

System:
  Kernel: 6.2.8-1-default arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 13.0.1
    Desktop: GNOME v: 44.0 tk: GTK v: 3.24.37 wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM
    Distro: openSUSE MicroOS
Machine:
  Type: Portable System: Dell product: Venue 11 Pro 7130 vPro v: 00
    serial: <superuser required> Chassis: type: 8 serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: Dell model: 066NXF v: A02 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: Dell
    v: A28 date: 06/30/2019
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 22.3 Wh (94.1%) condition: 23.7/35.2 Wh (67.2%)
    volts: 8.5 min: 7.4 model: SMP DELL VT26R39R serial: <filter>
CPU:
  Info: dual core model: Intel Core i5-4300Y bits: 64 type: MT MCP
    arch: Haswell rev: 1 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 512 KiB L3: 3 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 1664 high: 1867 min/max: 600/2300 cores: 1: 1867 2: 1596
    3: 1596 4: 1597 bogomips: 12770
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel ports: active: eDP-1
    empty: DP-1,HDMI-A-1,HDMI-A-2 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0a1e
  Device-2: Realtek RTL2838 DVB-T type: USB driver: usbfs bus-ID: 1-1.2.1:6
    chip-ID: 0bda:2838
  Device-3: Realtek Integrated Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo
    bus-ID: 1-3:3 chip-ID: 0bda:5751
  Device-4: Alpha Imaging type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-5:5
    chip-ID: 114d:1000
  Display: x11 server: X.org v: 1.21.1.7 with: Xwayland v: 23.1.0
    compositor: gnome-shell driver: X: loaded: modesetting
    alternate: fbdev,intel,vesa dri: crocus gpu: i915 display-ID: :0
    screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080
  Monitor-1: eDP-1 model: Samsung 0x4c48 res: 1920x1080 dpi: 204
    diag: 274mm (10.8")
  API: OpenGL Message: Unable to show GL data. Required tool glxinfo
    missing.
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel
    v: kernel bus-ID: 00:03.0 chip-ID: 8086:0a0c
  Device-2: Intel 8 Series HD Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel
    v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:9c20
  Sound API: ALSA v: k6.2.8-1-default running: yes
  Sound Server-1: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: no
  Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.67 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel pcie:
    speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:08b1
  IF: wlp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>
  Device-2: ASIX AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet type: USB driver: ax88179_178a
    bus-ID: 2-1.4:4 chip-ID: 0b95:1790
  IF: enp0s20u1u4 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Intel Bluetooth wireless interface type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8
    bus-ID: 1-7:7 chip-ID: 8087:07dc
  Report: rfkill ID: hci0 rfk-id: 0 state: down bt-service: enabled,running
    rfk-block: hardware: no software: yes address: see --recommends
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 119.24 GiB used: 20.06 GiB (16.8%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: SanDisk model: SD6SP1M128G1012 size: 119.24 GiB
    speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter>
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 58.97 GiB used: 20.03 GiB (34.0%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda5
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 259.8 MiB used: 30.5 MiB (11.7%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/sda1
  ID-3: /home size: 58.97 GiB used: 20.03 GiB (34.0%) fs: btrfs
    dev: /dev/sda5
  ID-4: /opt size: 58.97 GiB used: 20.03 GiB (34.0%) fs: btrfs
  ID-5: /var size: 58.97 GiB used: 20.03 GiB (34.0%) fs: btrfs
Swap:
  Alert: No swap data was found.
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 56.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
  Processes: 227 Uptime: 2h 42m Memory: 3.72 GiB used: 1.94 GiB (52.2%)
  Init: systemd v: 253 default: graphical Compilers: gcc: N/A Packages:
  pm: rpm pkgs: N/A note: see --rpm pm: flatpak pkgs: 23 Shell: Bash v: 5.2.15
  running-in: gjs inxi: 3.3.23

Running gqrx installed from the Hamradio repo, along with rtl-sdr hardware attached…

Is there ISO download of Leap 16.0 (Alpha)? Or MicroOS is still the best choise to see what it will (most likely) look like?

@nenadandric No Leap 16.0 anything yet, it’s just a concept put forward by some Community members.

Anyway: openSUSE downloads increasing, and Leap 15.5 is coming soon • The Register

openSUSE is doing well: downloads are increasing, and a new version of the stable-release-cycle openSUSE, Leap 15.5, is coming soon.

According to a tweet from the openSUSE project, it has seen sharp increases in its downloads recently. If you want to drill down a little, download statistics are available.

We can only speculate as to why there’s been an uptick. Perhaps it reflects Ubuntu users’ dissatisfaction with the increased focus on Snap in the distro, including the Snap-packaged Firefox. It may also be a continuing slow exodus of Red Hat users disenchanted by the termination of CentOS Linux, but looking for another stable, RPM-based distro.

1 Like

I hope they don’t kill off Leap. I been running it, and it has been rock solid.I favor stability over anything else.

2 Likes

@cjmannino offer to help, else it won’t… it needs community support

I do not know enough about programming, just learning c now. I am willingly to participate in other ways, for example, write articles, etc.

@cjmannino documentation and translations are always a welcome contribution…

1 Like