Testing and enabling 3D acceleration on AMD RX480 opensuse Leap 42.3

Hello,

I have recently installed opensuse Leap 42.3 on my machine. I have a RX480 graphics card.
If I do

lsmod|grep radeon

it does return nothing. So I did

lsmod|less

and I found that **amdgpu **is installed. Is this enough for 3D acceleration? How I can test that
3D acceleration is enabled? And what can I do if is not enabled? I am little bit confused with all
driver names amdgpu,amdgpu-pro,radeon,radeonsi.

The simple fact that, the kernel had noticed that you have a newer AMD graphic card means that, the ‘radeon’ driver has been superseded by the ‘amdgpu’ driver – automatically …

If you use the KDE GUI then, the “Info Center” will show how much 3D support is configured and being executed.

Sure it is installed.
It’s part of the kernel… :wink:

Is this enough for 3D acceleration?

The kernel module is necessary for 3D (and other) hardware acceleration, but it is not enough. The actual OpenGL (3D) support is provided by Mesa.

Regarding your question: you should not have to do anything to enable 3D acceleration.
Do you actually have any problem, or are you just asking in general?

To test whether 3D acceleration is working, you can install Mesa-demo-x and run “glxinfo” or “glxgears”.
Or in case of KDE/Plasma, look into kinfocenter. GNOME provides some information in gnome-control-center too, IIRC.

Thanks for the replies. I am not in front of my machine now in order to test your answers. When I do, I will inform your for further assistance.

KInfoCenter in OPENGL node has the following values:
3D accelerator->unknown,
Renderer->Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.8.0 / 4.4.76-1-default, LLVM 3.8.0)
OpenGL version->3.0 Mesa 17.0.5
Kernel module->unknown

glxgears played for some time but after that it gave the following message in the console:

Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
318 frames in 5.0 seconds = 63.519 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.999 FPS
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.003 FPS
XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server “:0”
after 1127 requests (38 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

glxinfo gave very large output that I cannot post there because it does not supported from the forum.

As for why I want the 3D acceleration is because I want to play Hearthstone on linux.

Yes, this is Mesa’s (hardware accelerated) Gallium Renderer.

So, yes, 3D hardware acceleration is enabled and working.

glxgears played for some time but after that it gave the following message in the console:

Looks ok. As it says it runs synchronized to the vertical refresh rate, so a steady 60 fps should be fine (provided that your screen mode is 60 Hz… :wink: )
Although, especially nowadays, you may reach 60 fps also with the software renderer…
If you want to see the real fps (unthrottled), run it like this:

vblank_mode=0 glxgears

The “error message” at the end is because you closed the window btw…

glxinfo gave very large output that I cannot post there because it does not supported from the forum.

Most of that information is superfluous anyway in seeing whether 3D hardware acceleration works/is in use or not anyway.
It would display the same renderer string as KInfocenter somewhere among the other stuff though. (btw, KInfocenter does show most of glxinfo’s output too)