Suse running slow, freezing

I’m running 64bit Suse on a Toshiba Satellite pro, with 2 gigs of ram. I am having an issue where Suse will randomly freeze, except if I leave it sit for a minute or so it will un-freeze itself and run continue as normal. An ideas on a fix, or what the issue could be, or what I could do? Help would be appreciated.

Hi
Is beagle running?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.11-0.1-default
up 7:55, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.14, 0.22
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12

Nope, it’s un-installed

Hi
Then have a look at this post;
Possible solution for ‘odd’ pauses and
delays while using computer

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.11-0.1-default
up 9:23, 2 users, load average: 0.23, 0.17, 0.19
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12

That helped a little bit, thanks much. However, I am, still getting a few random “freezes” and memory spikes, and other ideas?

Are you using the ATI driver? I got tons of lockups from that. If so, I would uninstall that and see if you problem goes away.

Turn off 3d desktop effects, and see if that helps.

If neither of the above help, try running Memtest from the boot menu of your install disc to rule out a bad RAM module.

Ah, haha I’m using 3d effects and an ATI driver. Ok possible idiot question below:

If I uninstall the ATI driver won’t my display config go back to “stink mode”?

At very least turn off the 3d desktop.

My notebook runs fine with the stock driver, at least in 2d There is at present no 3d support yet for ATI 200m integrated graphics using radeon driver, but one of these days I think there will be.

As long as you can set the correct resolution, I don’t think you’ll notice any difference in 2d applications when using the radeon driver.

In fact in your case, I think you’ll see a huge improvement.

Maybe some day there will be an ATI driver without major bugs, but I have not seen it yet. Yes, 3d performance is better, but I’ll take reliability over constant lockups any day of the week.

Sounds good, I will try these things tonight and see what happens, how is dvd playback using your driver?

I’m not set up to play DVD’s but flash videos play fine.

All of that worked great, thanks for the help!!